A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Common Faults

D2 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 4th January 2021, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
Who is the idiot that decided it is a good idea to have the front sunroof drains above the door hinge?! For a premium luxury car that was a STUPID idea!

Any tips on clearing out the rear sunroof drains if you don't have shop air to blow the lines clear?
3mm trimmer line
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200202_145104.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	512.9 KB
ID:	25010  
Old 6th January 2021, 10:49 PM

What's the best way to use the 3mm trimmer line for the rear sunroof drains?

My mods: Oxblood red interior, LED interior lights, D3 ignition coils, new window tint, tip steering wheel with new S8 emblem, mk1 TT steering wheel air bag, mk1 TT 6 speed shift knob, new shift boot.
Old 7th January 2021, 06:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
What's the best way to use the 3mm trimmer line for the rear sunroof drains?
same as the front?
Old 25th June 2022, 02:27 PM

Yesterday I was chatting to a neighbour who was cleaning his 3-series BMW; he'd just discovered an unknown (to him) feature. I had to take a picture!

The scuttle drains flow off each side to near the bonnet hinges to a pair of filter baskets that are designed to catch leaves/debris and can be easily removed by hand for cleaning/clearing.
If only Audi had thought of that.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMWscuttle.jpg
Views:	2171
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	28683  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 22nd January 2023, 06:09 PM

Apologies for the photo being upside down again, don't know why it does that? Inside of my windscreen on Friday...

Name:	20230120_133545.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	666.7 KB
ID:	29210

Sunroof just as bad, but no other obvious signs of moisture inside or watery sounds on the move?

Hoping the sunroof drains are the issue here, not sure I'd be too confident about tackling the others.
Old 22nd January 2023, 07:01 PM

Mines the same, it's just the materials inside the car can absorb and hold a LOT of moisture.
In winter it doesn't dry out but will condense on the windows which get very cold at night.
I use big bags of silica beads to keep the interior dry - when I remember!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 22nd January 2023, 08:00 PM

That much condensation suggests excessive moisture inside from one or more of the usual sources. Check all the drains and carpets, and ideally put a dehumidifier inside for a few days.

Is it laid up or in daily use? If its in use make sure the AC is always on as it helps with the general moisture buildup.
Old 14th October 2023, 06:21 PM

Default Water Ingress again

I have water in the rear left side of the rear passeneger footwell, I've cleared the usual suspects at the front and had Botangs hole done a while back. I'm pretty convinced the water is not runniing from the front of the car as the front part of the rear carpets are not wet. Any idea where water can be getting into back end of rear footwell please?

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 14th October 2023, 06:31 PM

When I had water there it came through the air ventilation tubes (which run under the carpet and IIRC in the centre console unit from the front) having originated in the scuttle/aircon condenser tray.
Though in my case it was also blowing out of the rear centre air vents.

Usual causes; blocked aircon orange drains, blocked scuttle drains.

I think other people have had issues with sunroof drains which may lead directly to the rear somehow.
Old 14th October 2023, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
I have water in the rear left side of the rear passeneger footwell, I've cleared the usual suspects at the front and had Botangs hole done a while back. I'm pretty convinced the water is not runniing from the front of the car as the front part of the rear carpets are not wet. Any idea where water can be getting into back end of rear footwell please?

On my A8 I had this issue and found that the water was getting in through the door. Noticed when opening it just after a downpour the water came flooding out. There were witness marks on the tread plate.
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!