A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 31st March 2019, 08:35 PM

Default New noise

Fired the A8 3.0 TDI 2004 (ABS engine) up today to go on a family Mum's day visit.
After a few seconds a strange noise started. Stopped the engine restarted and again after a few seconds the noise could be heard.
Lifted the bonnet and using old fashioned screwdriver sensing techniques resolved the sound to the high pressure fuel pump.
New Lucas pump priced at £800, A8 parts at £130 (nil stock).
No apparent problems apart from the noise, bit like an unbalanced wheel catching something. Engine running as sweet as ever.
Tried again some five hours later (what can you do on a Sunday when a problem appears?) and no noise!!!!
Went for a run and still good.
Tried again an hour later and still good.
OK, plan of action is visit my Indie tomorrow and listen to his prognosis.

Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye (exit music plays)

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 5th April 2019, 02:52 PM

Here we are six days later and I’ll try to bring you up to date.
Problem started on Mum’s Sunday.
Monday visited my Indie and he resolved it to swirl flaps. He didn’t want to do a “flap delete” because he couldn’t do a remap. He recommended a local ex Audi guy who had a quick listen and agreed to tackle it today, Friday.
Arrived bright and early and he started with “Replacing the flaps could be very expensive”.
His face dropped when I said “Don’t replace, remove and remap”. I think he realised his AUDI trained stealing method had been thwarted, but he nicely offered me a cuppa and while I went to get one, he had another listen. He caught me before I could organise the kettle and reported “That’s timing chain mate, and I can’t do it, not enough space and my garage is too small”
Obviously, I looked rather annoyed at the new prognosis. By this time, we were back at my car with the bonnet up and he said ”it’s the passenger side chain” and pointed to the rear of the engine as if the lump would have to come out to fix the chain.
I left immediately because the timing chains are not at the back of the engine.
I’ve ordered a pair of refurbed and strengthened manifolds from Germany £250, complete with two new motors, gaskets and new bolts.
I certainly won’t recommend him to anyone. I’ve spoken with my own indie and he will swap both manifolds for me.
Won’t need remapping now.
Anybody know the part nº for the plastic coolant pipe that apparently always breaks when doing something like this?

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)

Last edited by tc4332; 5th April 2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 5th April 2019, 03:13 PM

Um, the timing chain is at the back, and the engine does have to come out to do it...

Old 5th April 2019, 04:10 PM

Thanks MJ
We learn something new every day.
This noise is in the inlet manifold and at the front, not the rear.
Guess we'll find out when the manifolds come off.

Old 5th April 2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
This noise is in the inlet manifold and at the front, not the rear.
That's good Chains is not a fun job
Old 6th April 2019, 08:43 PM

The other strange thing is that the rattle does not increase much when I increase the revs.
The other thing is that there is a delay afetr starting the engine before the rattle starts.
If it was chains it would be there from start and I think it shourd increase with revs.
But then again I am just an old don't know nothing long retired electronics buffoon, so what do I know.

Old 6th April 2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
The other strange thing is that the rattle does not increase much when I increase the revs.
The other thing is that there is a delay afetr starting the engine before the rattle starts.
If it was chains it would be there from start and I think it shourd increase with revs.
But then again I am just an old don't know nothing long retired electronics buffoon, so what do I know.
Makes perfect sense. If it the noise does not change with revs it cannot be related to any rotating components. Maybe air/vacuum leaks.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 7th April 2019, 11:42 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

It's a diesel Ray. The rattle is normal.

Replace tractor engine with petrol engine ... job done.

Seriously though, I must admit I was surprised how quiet Craig's 4.2 diesel is.

I hope you get to the bottom of your noisy noise.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 7th April 2019, 04:05 PM

As opposed to a "noiseome" noise?

Replacement manifolds due later this week, then we will know. Fingers crossed.

Old 28th April 2019, 10:45 AM

My old 4.0 TDI had a timing chain rattle. It usually started once the oil had heated up a little. Sounded a bit like a spray can with the wee ball inside. Never got round to sorting due to the need to remove the engine and the expense. Car got wrecked by a (deleted)driver before it became a more than an annoyance.

My current 4.2tdi had no rattle or any indication of timing chain problems but managed to break the one going to the left hand bank. So far it has sat for about five months while I work up the will to take the engine out. Will be many hours work just to find out if the engine can be saved, then many more hours of paid work to pay for replacing all the parts if it can be fixed.

I'd be making absolutely sure it's not the timing chain before discounting it
1990 Land Rover 90 factory county station wagon with all the luxury additions, such as a clock and a tape player.
2007 A4 3.0TDi s-line cabriolet quattro
2000 A8 D2 2.8 quattro, looking for a new home - gone
2003 A6 3.0 quattro, in the way... anyone want any parts? - gone