A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 31st October 2019, 08:58 PM

Default Key programming issue

Hi all

One of my keys seems to have stopped working. Have changed batteries etc but here is the odd thing.

When I do the reprogramming sequence all works fine but the key that was working (used to turn on ignition for reprogramming sequence), then stops working and the one I programme, is fine. Then I try the sequence with the one that has stopped working, and that one is fine, and the other one won’t work anymore.

Basically I can only ever have one of the two keys working!

Anyone got any ideas??

Thanks

Mossy

Old 1st November 2019, 08:26 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

It's a long time since I tried reprogramming remote key fobs myself but, according to my notes, these are the correct procedures that worked. I do remember it's a bit of a faff, and it can take several attempts to get it right, especially if you have 2 or more fobs to program.

(Note the additional step required to program multiple remote fobs)

Quote:
Key Fob Programming
VW/ Audi/ Seat/ Skoda

Remote Control Programming (1997 ON)
Procedure
1. Switch Ignition ON and leave key in the ignition.
2. Mechanically lock the vehicle using the Drivers door using a second key
3. Using the remote control press the Unlock button once, and the horn will sound once.
4. Wait 6 seconds and press the unlock button once to activate the coding procedure. The remote control will now be programmed.
Note: When performing programming on additional remotes the procedure is exactly the same, except you press the unlock button 2, 3 or 4 times for different remote.
For example: If programming 2 remotes press the unlock button twice with a 1 second interval between each press, repeat for 3 and 4 remotes.
5. Switch ignition OFF.
6. Remove key from ignition and check for operation.
7. The coding procedure can be repeated up to 4 times for additional remotes.
8. The ignition must be switched OFF between programming each remote control.

Remote Control Erasing (1997 ON)
Procedure
1. Switch ignition ON and leave key in the ignition.
2. Mechanically lock the vehicle using the Drivers door using a second key.
3. Press the remote control unlock button 5 times in 1-second intervals.
A short horn will sound.
4. Wait 6 seconds and press the unlock button once to activate memory erase.
5. Switch ignition OFF, all remotes are now tuned in..
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 1st November 2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 1st November 2019, 08:31 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I also found this in my notes, but I don't think I've ever tried it (I'm not even sure where this info originally came from):

Quote:
Remote programming with VAG-COM

For this procedure, you must have
1) VAG COM
2) A laser cut key (just one is "needed")
3) Up to 4 compatible remotes to program

Procedure for matching remote controls to most VW & Audi vehicles:

Under "Select Control Module"

"Select"

"46 - Cent. Conv." or "35 - Cent. Locking" (depending on year and make/model)

"Adaptation - 10"

First enter channel "00" as this will set all settings back to factory.

Enter channel "01" (Again "21 depending on make/model).

"Read"

This is supposed to display the number of currently stored remotes in "Stored Value". But you may get 0.

According to Ross-tech, this is what you must do next which is the part that messes everyone up - "Enter your total number of keys up to a maximum of 4 (including any existing keys) in 'New Value.'" Do not do that. Instead, for your first remote just put in a one.

"Test"

Verify that the number in "Test Value" is the one you entered.

Now this is another place that Ross-tech tells you to do something that doesn't work... They tell you to hit the "Save" button, but what are you saving? Absolutely nothing!! Notice up at the top it should say something along the lines of "Key Adaptation." If it says this, you have 15 seconds to push the unlock button on your remote (hold for two seconds) or until it says "Key learned." NOW is where you hit save.

"Save"

It should now ask if you are sure you want to save. Of course you do.

The procedure also says right about now that the car will give you some kind of sign that the remote was learned such as a (lights flash, horn beep, etc.) but as long as the VAG-COM said "learned" it will be fine.

But for remote number two pretty much follow the same above for number one. Now you actually have to put in 2 for test value, 3 in test value for the third and 4 for the fourth. I hope this makes sense. It seems like it will overwrite the last remote but it does not...

Also, here is some helpful info for your programming... In order to find if your remote works with your car and you can use it, go to "Measuring Block" 006 - Go! and look at field 2... There should be four bits in this field (all 0000)... Hit a button on your remote, one of the bits should now change to a 1 depending on the button you hit! I don't know what measuring block it will be for the other cars.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 1st November 2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 1st November 2019, 08:41 AM

That’s brilliant thank you. Will give it a go later on.