A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 5th May 2020, 12:17 PM

I think, like most things on the D2, it was hand-tooled by someone who knew they weren't going to make a lot of them, who didn't look in the parts bin or talk to other design teams, and who had no budget constraints. Thus we end up with something peculiar, bespoke, and over-complicated. The glovebox itself is a lesson in over-complication with no budget constraint.

Other models of the era used the same clip-in light as used in the D2 for the footwell lights, door puddle lights etc. There is no practical reason why the glovebox couldn't have used this same light too, in fact I may design something to do that instead.

With almost anything specific to the D2 you can point to the same component on later models and see how it was simplified for easier production & assembly and reduced cost. See A4 & A6 door cards for example - removable in literally 2 minutes and nothing breaks. The problem is though, none of those cars feel like a D2. Thus we end up with this peculiar dichotomy where the very attributes that make the D2 so special also make it a complete pain in the arse

No art without suffering right?
Old 28th June 2020, 07:21 PM

Is there a way to fix this glovebox light assembly by adding some kind of L shape bracket to replicate the original tabs?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glove box light 1.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	24439  

Last edited by Audifan; 10th November 2020 at 01:11 AM. Reason: switched picture to attachment
Old 29th June 2020, 08:33 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
by adding some kind of L shape bracket to replicate the original tabs?
That's precisely what I did to fix mine. I took a thin rectangular piece of steel and bent it in the vice at the correct angle, such that it would slip down the back (behind the positive connection) and stick out over the back like one long tab. Then (after taking the glove box out and doing a test fit) I glued the bracket to the back of the lens.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 29th June 2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 20th July 2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
That's precisely what I did to fix mine. I took a thin rectangular piece of steel and bent it in the vice at the correct angle, such that it would slip down the back (behind the positive connection) and stick out over the back like one long tab. Then (after taking the glove box out and doing a test fit) I glued the bracket to the back of the lens.
I looked around to see what I have that I could use for a L bracket.

I found a metal L bracket but I have a feeling this might not work?

I did find a plastic L bracket that I can cut off and use. Just not sure if this angle will work?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	l bracket 1.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	24440   Click image for larger version

Name:	l bracket 2.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	24441  

Last edited by Audifan; 10th November 2020 at 01:14 AM. Reason: switched pictures to attachment
Old 21st July 2020, 09:07 AM

I can't really tell the dimensions from the photo, but that metal bracket looks to be too thick. You need something thick enough to be rigid and hold the lens in place but thin enough to slide down the (inside) back of the lens.

If I remember correctly, the steel I used was from a computer expansion port blanking plate, which was not much thicker than that from a tin can -- in fact a piece of tin can steel might do it. What I did was cut the steel into a rectangle, the full (internal) width of the lens then slid it down the back. I then marked where it needed to bend at the top of the lens and bent it to the required angle (which is probably something like 100-120 degrees) to make the overhang parallel with the top of the lens. Then I just cut the overhang down such that it protruded like a single (full-width) tab. After a test fit (with the glove box out of the car), I glued the bracket to the lens. I'll take a photo sometime when I get chance (my S8 is in storage these days, several miles away).

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 21st July 2020 at 09:11 AM.
Old 21st July 2020, 05:20 PM

Sorry I don't have a micrometer on hand to take measurements of the metal bracket. I kinda had a feeling that it was too thick to use.

I cut off part of the plastic L bracket and temporary placed it in the light assembly to get a picture. Ignore the metal bracket in the picture as I just used it to hold up the light assembly so I could take a picture without holding it up. I have a feeling that I need to cut the plastic bracket shorter as seen in this picture?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	l bracket 3.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	24442  

Last edited by Audifan; 10th November 2020 at 01:16 AM. Reason: switched picture to attachment
Old 21st July 2020, 06:43 PM

From memory, the bend needs to be level with the back of the lens (unless yours is different to mine that is), something like this ...

If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend popping the glovebox out. It only takes a few minutes to remove it and it makes it much easier to test-fit the lens and see what you need to fabricate. One thing that becomes apparent with the glove box out is that you don't need to replicate the original 2 tabs. A single full-width tab is a simpler and stronger solution.

Cars Owned:

Last edited by moltuae; 21st July 2020 at 06:47 PM.
Old 21st July 2020, 10:25 PM

Thanks for editing my picture. I will definitely cut down the plastic to get it to the same level of the back of the lens.
Old 2nd August 2020, 04:16 PM

I finally got around to finish my glove box light assembly fix. Here is the finished result. The plastic L brackets that I used were from a used rear view mirror that I bought.

And in case anyone was wondering where these light assembly install, this is what it looks like. As you can see in this picture, I need to do some trimming because the L bracket that I made is too wide and will not fit in the mounting hole.

I fixed the broken wire that I had when I removed the light assembly. I actually cut both wires and added length because the original wires were too short to begin with. I also has to switch the wires around so my LED light bulb would work.

Now my car has all working LED interior lights.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	glove box light 2.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	24443   Click image for larger version

Name:	glove box light 3.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	24444   Click image for larger version

Name:	glove box light 4.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	24445  

Last edited by Audifan; 10th November 2020 at 01:22 AM. Reason: switched pictures to attachment
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:32 PM

Default Glove box light fix.. It works😀

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/album.php...pictureid=1176