A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Audi / VW car items

For Sale and Wanted - Audi / VW car items For the personal sale of Vw/Audi parts, tools, vouchers, accessories, anything that isn't an actual car. Absolutely no commercial listings or breaking / bulk / repeated sale of parts or services.

Old 2nd June 2020, 04:04 PM

Default D2 auto dimming rear view mirror

Found an auto dimming mirror, which I bought with the intention of fitting at the same time as a solar sunroof, sitting in a box.

Part number is 4D2857511B EC3 so it's the platinum finish.

It's a little grubby, but I've given the glass a quick clean with a damp tissue and the glass itself is clear and in good order.

There are storage marks on the back of the mirror and some of the plastic is showing a little degredation, as is typical for the plastic trim in a D2.

I suspect it might be possible to strip the front off to re-use the glass or just to mess about with as a project. Guess is depends how closely you examine the mirror you have now as to whether it's a better condition unit than you might have now?!

Happy to take further pictures if anyone's interested. It will be posted well packaged in bubble wrap etc in a box.

£20 plus postage at cost
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030843.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	494.5 KB
ID:	23422   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030844.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	23423   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030845.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	23424  

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 3rd June 2020, 05:25 PM

ah ok theres the answer its not black! *sigh*

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 3rd June 2020, 06:40 PM

D'oh! Sorry mate

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 10th June 2020, 07:03 AM

If only it was Swing Grey. I wonder if the difference would matter...
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 10th June 2020, 08:29 AM

A swing interior would normally come with platinum uppers.
Old 10th June 2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
A swing interior would normally come with platinum uppers.
I didn't know that, thanks MJ (now browsing to see how to swap!).

You will have a PM Adrian.

Old 11th June 2020, 08:06 AM

Physically swapping it is fairly simple, however the auto mirror has a bunch of extra wiring. It has power obviously, but from memory it also has switched ignition and illumination, so it only activates when the car is running with the lights on. Theoretically it should be possible to find these in the roof from the sunroof motor and switches but I haven't tried it myself - I've only retrofitted the entire harness as I was doing the side mirrors as well. The interior mirror has an output which drives the side mirrors.

I have a wiring diagram for it somewhere from when I retrofitted one...
Old 14th June 2020, 10:18 AM

Sold to Peter

Old 14th June 2020, 10:25 AM

It probably has a feed from the reversing lights too, so that it "doesn't" dim when in reverse.
As my signature notes, I added one to my PF version and I'm pretty sure I didn't bother with that detail or wiring up for external mirrors.
(And I did use the sunroof for power, I vaguely recall there's a circuit there that is live when the car is "on" and for a few seconds after in order to facilitate closing, though FL may differ)

I don't think you need to be too clever as these units are pretty self-contained with their own light-level sensors forwards (day or night) and backwards (headlights).
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 14th June 2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 17th June 2020, 11:13 PM

Received today, thanks Adrian.

I don't think I'll be too bothered about a reverse feed either. My existing one already takes power and is switched for illumination with the headlights (has the ambient lighting already) so hopefully I can just take a feed from that within the mirror loom rather than taking it from somewhere else.

Did the PF have the ambient lighting? Not sure when this started.

Hopefully I'll find the time to fit it, might even get to use it too!