A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 15th July 2017, 05:56 PM

Default Occupancy sensor, don't cut wire!

Just in case anyone didn't know. If you want to fix your passenger seat occupancy sensor causing airbag light on dash, there is no need to cut the blue and white wires on pins 2 and 3 at the brown plug.
Simply find the little black 2-wire plug, unplug, and plug your resistor straight into it. Or if you really want, remove the two pins and solder the resistor to them. That way if you ever want to go back to a seat pad you retain the oem look without any patched up wires.
The little plug is also a lot easier to reach and remove than the same wires at the big brown plug.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Occupancy sensor plug.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	16515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Occupancy resistor.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	16516  
Old 15th July 2017, 06:30 PM

Excellent Goran!

Do I need to buy 470 Ohm resistor to fix that?
Could you provide a link to this resistor if purchased online?
Old 15th July 2017, 07:48 PM

Hi Sergey,
I bought this one from Maplins. There is a 10Watt one too but I thought maybe that's overkill. The 7watt one is big and solid looking.

Another tip, the tin? wires on the resistor are soft, flatten the ends with some flat pliers and then you have bayonets to plug straight into the plug. The round wires dont plug in as nicely.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/wirewound-...resistor-l470r
Old 15th July 2017, 10:00 PM

Cheers Goran. Will do this when mine fails.
Old 16th July 2017, 10:12 AM

That's a bit o overkill, I don't think there is any noticeable current going through it. In the worst case if you take say 15V/470 Ohm = 0.032A. 0.032Ax15V=0.48W. I think if you take multimeter and check the current it will actually be much lower.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 17th July 2017, 09:07 AM

Good point! I should have checked the current. I would have preferred to go with a small resistor, just wanted to be on the safe side. Definitely, it should not draw more than the entire 'sleep' current of the whole car.
Old 17th July 2017, 09:17 AM

Just a reminder, if it's only the front (thigh) pad that is causing the problem (commonest case) you don't need a resistor, just disconnect it and leave the main pad joined up.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 17th July 2017, 03:54 PM

I'm presuming that the airbags will still work. Know to go off in a collision, but everytime in stead of, selectively only when there's a seat occupant detected
Old 17th July 2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
I'm presuming that the airbags will still work. Know to go off in a collision, but everytime in stead of, selectively only when there's a seat occupant detected
Yes, I assume they are active. With VCDS sit in the passenger seat and read the measuring block, it will say 'occupied'. The guys on the forum tried different resistors or measured the occupied resistance and came up with 470 ohms.
When I plug in that resistor, the measuring block says 'occupied'
So I assume the airbag is active.
Another general point, all of our D2 airbags may be past their 'use by' date. So it may be a lottery whether any of them fire at all?
Old 20th July 2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Another general point, all of our D2 airbags may be past their 'use by' date. So it may be a lottery whether any of them fire at all?
I think used by dates on airbags (they used to have roughly 12 or so year dates on them) have been removed now, as they've tested cars with 20 and 30 year old airbags and they've fired fine.
Provided the pyrotechnics are properly sealed when made, there's nothing that should degrade them, at least not for some significantly long time.
I'm not concerned about mine not firing

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)