A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 13th November 2016, 11:41 PM

My car has done this in the past.

It will do a no start/no crank - it just clicks the solenoid and then nothing but an EPC lamp.

The code in mine says the starter jammed but I don't believe it. I think it is a power issue as my battery is quite old now.

The crank sensor is a different thing where the starter will crank but not fire.
I have had this also. Research also tells me that there is a glitch in some early cars where an occasional No start will occur.

It happens once every 6 months or so then is fine. Leave the car for a few mins and it is also fine first go.

Mike

04 A8 - 4.2 Sport

Indigo Leather Sports Seats - Sports wheel - Sports Air Suspension
Auto Boot - Double Glazing - AMI - Solar roof
TV - Bose - Voice Control - TPMS - AFS- TINT
Power Blind, Fingerprint - Light package (in and out)

Retrofits:
OEM Auto headlights & rain sensing wipers
OEM Bluetooth phone
Bluetooth Audio Streaming
Reverse Camera
OEM Aluminium Package
Auto boot close using remote/door button
Old 24th November 2016, 12:08 AM

Thanks Ray for the scan it was good to meet you and most appreciated. I've attached the first scan result and after clearing all faults the second scan result. I hope I've mastered the art and they do actually attach.

Went to meet the auto electrician to try and bring on the fault. Four goes at driving around turning engine off and then starting after a while - the fault didn't happen! Thought maybe by some strange fate Ray clearing the fault record may have miraculously cured it, but not so.

Went out to the shops today and on the fourth start (after 3 drive and stops) the fault kicked in. Turned the ignition on noticed a continuous clicking noise from the tunnel like a solenoid trying to kick in and failing. Left the car for 40 minutes came back turned the ignition on - no clicking - car started!

Checking through the works manual I can see there's a "Selector lever Lock Solenoid N110" in the area of the clicking. To see if I'm on the right track has anybody had experience of this failing please and if so was it the same symptoms?

Thanks again everybody for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt DK05ZWY Fault Codes at 8 Nov 2016.txt (29.2 KB, 442 views)
File Type: txt DK05ZWY Cleared Fault Codes Remaining 8 Nov 2016.txt (19.5 KB, 544 views)
Old 24th November 2016, 06:48 AM

Clicking relay or solenoid will be because of not enough power, either there is not enough juice in the battery or it does not get where it needs to due to poor connections.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 24th November 2016, 09:56 AM

Thanks I'd considered that after posting last night. Battery is new so it may be somewhere in between. I'll start at the terminals.
Old 25th November 2016, 01:19 PM

Peter, I was hopeful because you had not been on for a while.
Hope that you manage to solve this soon.
It does sound like a bad contact somewhere on the high amperage circuit. Often resolved to a bad earth connection.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 26th November 2016, 10:03 PM

Thanks again Ray. I'm puzzled why it only ever happens during short hops around town and not on long runs at service stops. Also why it clears itself after a period of time.
Old 27th November 2016, 06:39 AM

Probably related to amount of heat/temperature. Different materials expand at different rate as temperature raises so it might be making good connection when cold and hot but somewhere in between there is a point when it's a bit loose.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 10th January 2017, 10:41 AM

After 7 months we at last have a fix and the Egertons Breakdown guy was right - starter relay! I took the car to QRS Auto Service, Tattenhall for a service and (hopefully) a fix (my first visit and won't be the last). Fault was Relay J329 (370) cost £14.95 + VAT and to be on the safe side also changed J53 & J695 (381).

The fault didn't show on any scans and it seems if it doesn't nobody can be bothered to look further. My own garage, on advice from a mobile auto electrician, replaced the alternator,starter motor, comfort ECU and ignition switch. For which we will now have an interesting discussion about the bill. My local Audi recoded the ECU, refusing to until I paid for a VW battery, had the car for two separate weeks and did nothing other than start it every hour. Another local auto electrician had the car for a day suggested a (non-specific) relay at around £60.

Thanks to everybody who contributed especially Ray for the scan because it all helped narrow down the issue.

Bought at 9 months old - Ming Blue 2001 (51) 2.8 Quattro Sport with Sat Nav. 122,000 miles
Old 10th January 2017, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the update, mine has the occasional problem of what sounds like a lazy starter motor or bad earth when the engine is up to temperature. It doesn't happen every time but if I don't do something about it I'll be left stranded in the future.

Do you know the part numbers for J329 (370), J53 & J695 (381)?

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 10th January 2017, 08:18 PM

Sounds very similar. I think the problem was J329 but the garage changed the others because I had installed a couple of used 381's. I had a job tracking down which relay/s was/were the problem.

J329 is 8D0 951 253 is colour grey and has 370 on the top. J53 & J695 are part No 431 951 253G are purple and have 381 on the top. They are located behind the trim in front of the steering column. The works manual page/drawing is A97-0403 (Google it), J329 is No3 and the other two are Nos 2 & 5. J329, which carries the power was only £14.95 plus vat the other two were 31.44 each plus VAT.

Good luck hope it works for you.

Bought at 9 months old - Ming Blue 2001 (51) 2.8 Quattro Sport with Sat Nav. 122,000 miles