A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 17th November 2017, 08:26 AM

Default ACC Switch off

Hello all

Unless on a motorway at 3am I find the auto distance function a royal pain. It is far more intrusive and ‘brake happy’ than ACC systems I have had on previous cars.

Is there a way it can be disabled so that the car has basic cruise control?

Goodness knows what it is like to follow an Audi with ACC but the way the car over brakes it must be creating a concertina affect behind me.

ACC is often quoted on here as a must have option, personally i’m not so keen.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 17th November 2017, 11:22 AM

I've wondered the same before, whether it's just a case of simply coding it out somewhere and having it as a classic cruise control. I've driven quite a few cars with full ACC, not just collision mitigation system, and it's nowhere near the best. Range Rover's and Mercedes Distronic are the most refined in my opinion.

The D3's ACC picks up a car in front from a fair distance away but is useless at tracking cars around slight bends on major roads and it will drop anchor at the most inappropriate times. I appreciate it isn't to be heavily relied on but it would be a nice feature on long journeys if it was more refined, although it will be good for resale value.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8

Last edited by Conquistador; 17th November 2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 17th November 2017, 12:25 PM

Interesting discussion.

The ACC on my Volvo generally works really well, though is probably a later variant compared to the D3 version. I use it almost all the time. It does occasionally lose track of vehicles on quite windy roads with strange results, and also over-compensates with excessive braking for those turning off into side roads or driveways, though a dab on the accelerator sorts that out.
It also seems to behave quite intelligently when you change lane.

Like the D3 (I think) you can adjust the following distance easily and the detection range (or indication of vehicle in front) seems to vary according to speed.

There is no option to revert to "classic" cruise control and I expect Volvo would say that would negate the safety aspect anyway so wouldn't allow it. There are additional permanent anti-collision systems as well though they only operate at lower (not motorway) speeds, up to about 35mph IIRC.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 17th November 2017, 02:33 PM

I find even the closest detection range setting still too far away.

For me the worst symptom is if a vehicle pulls out in front of me to overtake another vehicle, instantly halving the ACC detection range, but still at least 20-30 (approx) metres in from of me.

My car instantly brakes heavily to return to the preset detection range causing everything to brake behind me. Why can’t it just come of the gas? Why brake? Maybe something to do with closing speed......

Trouble is the overtaking vehicle has completed its overtake but the ACC is still yet to accelerate again, leaving me at least 100 metres further back!

Anyway the suggestion of a quick dab on the brake myself may solve this for me.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 17th November 2017, 02:58 PM

ACC from that era is quite rudemental compared to modern systems. Newer Audi ACC systems even have two radars (they look like black fog lights) to create a 3D map of the vehicles ahead, which improves the depth perception. But I agree a quick dab of the brakes works well, just enough to flash the brake lights, and cuts the throttle when someone pulls out to overtake.

The four preset 'distances' are time rather than actual distance. So distance setting 1 will be a completely different distance to the vehicle in front if you are traveling at 20mph or 120mph, but the time gap between two points should remain constant. Braking force and acceleration vary through distance 1-4 also. The time intervals are listed in the manual somewhere and can't be tweaked but they can in newer models
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8

Last edited by Conquistador; 17th November 2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 18th November 2017, 08:46 AM

Does anyone know of someone on some forum that has been decompiling equipment of vag cars? My friends are doing this with bmw ecu's. I've thought about it so often that we need to adjust the minimum speed and also the adjustable 'distance' settings. Id happily test it if we can update the firmware to say 0km/h and all distancr/time settings to a third of what they are now
Old 25th November 2017, 10:15 AM

In the scenario when someone pulls out in front of me within the detection distance, I do the opposite. When I see them beginning to move into my lane, I put my foot on the gas pedal. A second or two later, the ACC detects the new car and wants to brake but realises I have my foot down, so flashes the distance control LED to let me know I'm in manual mode. Finally, the car will eventually either accelerate away or will return to it's original lane and I get off the gas and carry on using ACC.

The advantage of using the gas pedal rather than the brake pedal is that you don't have to re-engage the system after the manoeuvre is complete.

2008 Audi S8
Old 25th November 2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
The advantage of using the gas pedal rather than the brake pedal is that you don't have to re-engage the system after the manoeuvre is complete.
Good description, I do exactly the same in my Volvo and it works well.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 25th November 2017, 12:22 PM

I’ll give that a go!

By the way, good to hear from you again Tony!

Old 25th November 2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat View Post
By the way, good to hear from you again Tony!
Thanks! It's good to be back!

2008 Audi S8