A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Other marques

Other marques All non Audi other cars

Old 16th April 2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
Oooof. I’m struggling to let that one go.... ;-)...... especially, as you have a Tesla, which is the definition of unluxurious interior trimmings slapped together as an afterthought.... forgiven _almost_ entirely for it’s it technical (and pioneering) advances in automotive technology...... but still, this is a premium Audi forum right? ;-)
Thought you might bite on that one . Skoda interiors are ahead of Tesla Model S ones, I'll give you that one...and don't forget my other car's a Fiat

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 16th April 2018, 11:41 PM

Had a couple of Octavia vRS estates as company cars and they were pretty good, not of the same build quality as my D2, but certainly not that much worse than my RS6, which again falls some way short in quaility of materials etc compared to the D2. The D2 seems to be the last Audi where a lot of the decisions on how they were designed and built were by engineers and not accountants.

Oh and as a Scot I was very proud when Top Gear described Skodas as "Volkswagens for cheapskates"

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 16th April 2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 16th April 2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat View Post
Spotted a Skoda Superb TSI yesterday, it was the quad exhaust that caught my eye.

I must admit my knowledge of the Skoda model range is somewhat lacking but imagined it must have a VAG V6, V8 or W8 in it. After google research it turns out it is a 260bhp 3.6 V6, (maybe 4x4 as well) à la Passat 4motion.
Quite a rare car i’d imagine.
Though nice that particular one is not a V6 it seems

https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/FreeCheck?regno=wj62tzt

though they did do one

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=SUPERB&page=1

which does seem to have switchgear etc which may appear familiar to owners of RS6s of similar vintage

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 16th April 2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 17th April 2018, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Octavia (ugh, what were they thinking?) ...
Maybe they thought they'd sell 8 of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
pay (a lot!) more for the perception of brand quality - and I'd argue that car buyers in the UK are more "image" and brand conscious than most other western countries (where the "premium" premium is less too! )
You haven't been down here recently!
The Aussie $ is buying about 55p at present.
My S8's were around $220,000 new, so that's £121,000!
At the roughly 60p value of the dollar at the time that's £132,000...
What were they there - £70,000odd?

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 17th April 2018, 09:34 AM

My Dad moved from Audi to Skoda many years ago. He's on his 4th now which is a '17 Octavia and you can still notice the difference in quality of materials used. His previous was the Superb and it was only slightly smaller than the D3. I don't know if the boot is standard but it was double hinged to open like a saloon or hatch.

https://youtu.be/KJZ5IgzI6xo?t=19s

Oh, just to add the Superb was probably one of the easiest cars to replace a headlight bulb as half the back could be removed for access

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,

Last edited by mattylondon; 17th April 2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 17th April 2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
I don't know if the boot is standard but it was double hinged to open like a saloon or hatch.

https://youtu.be/KJZ5IgzI6xo?t=19s
That's cool.

And there is something cool about the 'sleeper' VAG cars. Passat W8, the old Vento VR6, Passat/Passat CC R36, the above Skoda and even an Audi S4/S6 and D2 S8. They have an air of 'you don't know unless you know'.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8

Last edited by Conquistador; 17th April 2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 17th April 2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
Maybe they thought they'd sell 8 of them?

You haven't been down here recently!
The Aussie $ is buying about 55p at present.
My S8's were around $220,000 new, so that's £121,000!
At the roughly 60p value of the dollar at the time that's £132,000...
What were they there - £70,000odd?
I believe a FE S8 in 2002 was £59,740 new but I think the Avus Silver was a bit more money than the other colours?! I am sure Ian will come along and put us straight!

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 17th April 2018, 10:52 AM

I priced up my PF (1998) S8 from the 1998 price list (which I still have) and that was about £70K new, though it did have a "few" options.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 17th April 2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I priced up my PF (1998) S8 from the 1998 price list (which I still have) and that was about £70K new, though it did have a "few" options.
I think that's closer to the mark when new than £59k, though I don't have any data to hand to confirm that...

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 17th April 2018, 11:09 AM

Remember there were a lot of changes around that time to the taxation of new cars, though I can't recall exactly when, but it largely meant reductions.

Edit: Just found the price list, mine was £72,254.22 "On The Road" Price including VAT at 17.5% (and delivery/tax etc. at £645.)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 17th April 2018 at 11:17 AM.