A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 1st May 2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
Wheel bearing?
Another possibility of course, but that one was changed several years ago as the original whined a lot.

The first time I got all those lights on was not long after driving through a large puddle during the very wet winter and its been regular ever since.

I can almost predict when it's going to occur, the abs fault came up whilst I was scanning the car and the car was not even moving.

I wonder if there is a measuring block that can read each wheel speed sensor.

Given the choice would you go for a brand new third party sensor or a used 14 year old sensor from the forum sponsor (They are both the same price).

I am out of work from Friday, so will have plenty of time to work on the D3.

That reminds me, must finish CV. Working for the same company for 30 years means I didn't really have one.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 1st May 2018, 09:34 AM

I would use A8Parts, I've always had great service from them, and wouldn't have a problem using a used good sensor.

There is this new Bosch sensor,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302150530146?

Hopefully it's original and not a Chinese copy. Who knows!?!

Measuring Block 1 in ABS will display each wheel speed, not so useful in this case. Measuring Block 7 is Installation position, either invalid / ok / not ok. It would be interesting to see if yours displays invalid or not ok. Not ok would indicate a working sensor but inserted wrong with too much gap, bad bearing, axle tolerance (incorrect tyre size on that corner etc..). My guess now would be an invalid reading due to the puddle and the sensor may have water ingress.

All the best with CV, job, A8

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,

Last edited by mattylondon; 1st May 2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 1st May 2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post

Given the choice would you go for a brand new third party sensor or a used 14 year old sensor from the forum sponsor (They are both the same price).
Neither, I would try to check connectors and replace the cable on the old one first as it is usually the problem because conductors break inside cable from all the bending over time going over bumps so 14 year old is likely to get the same fault soon and aftermarket could be questionable quality.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 1st May 2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Neither, I would try to check connectors and replace the cable on the old one first as it is usually the problem because conductors break inside cable from all the bending over time going over bumps so 14 year old is likely to get the same fault soon and aftermarket could be questionable quality.
I have replaced all of the twisted pairs of ABS wires to each sensor all of the way back to the ABS unit on my D3 A8L, this was due to the external casing getting brittle and cracking / breaking away in a number of places and the twisted pairs making random contact and setting of the beeps of doom on the dash

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 2nd May 2018, 06:59 AM

I really hope is just a connection problem, with the connector itself. I drove the D3 50 miles yesterday with no problem at all, but I did not get stuck in low speed traffic which is what tends to trigger the fault, for example in a queue or sitting at traffic lights.

I had a water ingress problem with one of the air suspension electrical connections not long after getting the car, which caused all kinds of issues with the suspension. Since having that resolved it's been fine ever since.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 8th May 2018, 03:34 PM

Well as I am now unemployed, I took advantage of the time to remove the rear wheel and investigate the wheel speed sensor.

After disconnecting the wiring to the sensor, there was no apparent issues with either the car wiring connectors or the sensor itself.

I disconnected and reconnected the connector a few times and then clicked it back into place and went for a drive.

The drive was fine, but whilst sat in the car outside my house doing zero mph the fault recurred and has recurred again since.

I am assuming I checked the correct wheel (UK passenger side, rear).
Old 15th May 2018, 04:38 PM

I've been driving the D3 today, and no problem to report with the ABS until whilst sat idling outside my house doing 0mph the fault triggered.

Tomorrow I am going to hook up VCDS and connect to the ABS controller and look at measuring block 1 which should show me what all 4 wheel speed sensors are seeing and then start a log, and hopefully when the fault recurs I may catch something in the log.

I may even try going for a drive to see if that sensor is returning consistent readings compared to the other three sensors.

The attached picture is taken looking up at the sensor with the wiring disconnected, no sign of water ingress at this end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	18879  

Last edited by mannyo; 15th May 2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 17th May 2018, 02:20 PM

Ok,

So today I've been out in the D3 with my laptop and did some logging with VCDS.

I've attached the results to this post, as you can see all is well and there are no problems at all for a while. All four wheel speed sensors read the same, and no faults until once again I was sat in the car not moving when the fault occurred. VCDS was logging at the time, so right down the end of the log you can see a blue section, just before that is when the fault occurred. The dark blue section is after the fault occurred, and you can see that the left rear sensor is no longer reporting data and the logged fault code cannot be cleared at this point.

Annoyingly you get kicked off the ABS controller once your road speed exceeds 20kmh.
Attached Files
File Type: xls LOG.xls (276.0 KB, 248 views)
Old 18th May 2018, 01:29 PM

im wondering if this is anything to do with a faulty brake switch hence it happening when you stop? relatively cheap one to replace if it could be that??

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 18th May 2018, 07:05 PM

If the fault was occurring when moving I would say broken conductors in ABS sensor cable but since mostly happens when stationary I am leaning towards dry solder joint in ABS unit. Sitting in traffic etc results in heat buildup under bonnet, cracked solder joint expands and looses connection, start driving or leave car alone for a while it cools down joint contracts and makes contact again. Common problem for many cars, I think I have heard it happen on several D3's before. You can remove electrical part from pump and send it off for repair or you could have a go repairing it yourself, I did it once for friends Volvo, just cut it open, re-flow all big solder joints for plugs/solenoids and glue the cover back on.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 18th May 2018 at 07:08 PM.