A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 23rd June 2019, 05:04 PM

Default Small Road Trip News

The old D2 QS 2.8 drove there and back perfectly, it was a supreme European express.

Quiet, comfortable, excellent Air Con and returned 32mpg including some Autobahn work.

Visited a few other places as did a European trip (2000 miles in a week) but thought the need just to post the one photo. Though I should say the Audi Museum/ Forum is well worth a visit if you are passing in the area (They have a lovely D2 in Imperial Red there from the Tokyo Motor show in 1993)

All in the 16 year old D2 did the trip better than many new cars could not even come close to managing.
2002 Audi D2 2.8 A8 QS - Audi Silver
--

Last edited by Nognar; 23rd June 2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 23rd June 2019, 11:05 PM

Superb had a similar experience recently in my S8 on our trip to the annual meet, covered just over 1400 miles in superb comfort..they really are very comfortable cars. My MPG was a tad less at 19.8, but I did have SWMBO clothes on board for 10 days..and some parts provided by our Sponsors on the return leg

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 23rd June 2019, 11:15 PM

My S8 stayed home for this one as I wanted to take the QS on a run, also the S8 and LPG are not welcomed on the Eurotunnel.

Plus the boot was huge and perfect for stocking up on essential beer supplies in Belgium.
2002 Audi D2 2.8 A8 QS - Audi Silver
--

Last edited by Nognar; 23rd June 2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 24th June 2019, 08:32 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Great photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
but I did have SWMBO clothes on board for 10 days
I can relate to that

I've found a partial solution recently though (and I don't mean leaving her at home) ...

Instead of a bunch of mixed size cases that we used to lug around, including a huge one that she always managed to fill, I bought some 20 inch 'cabin cases'. One great thing about the small cabin cases (apart being smaller and 'wheeled'), is that they are a perfect fit into the very back of the D2 boot. Sizes can vary slightly from one brand to another, so you'd need to check before buying, but you can usually fit 4 or 5 of them (on their side), right at the back. Not only does that make loading the boot a lot easier but it gives better weight distribution, putting the weight forward of the rear wheels.

Having smaller cases also seems to make us both more selective, packing less overall. We have 5 of the cabin case, should we need them, but it becomes a challenge to use as few of them as possible.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 24th June 2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 24th June 2019, 11:37 AM

Using hotels more than most folks I have learnt over the years that the bigger the case the more you seem to need to take with you.
I only had a small case that I have managed with for years, staying away for on average 6 days a time, occasionally for longer.
Having Jordan with me at Falmouth I thought a larger case would help. Daughter-out-Law bought me one from Costco. Lovely case but ginormous alongside my normal one but somehow we managed to fill it to the brim for only three overnights.
On the way home I had to use three bags for the extras we picked up.
I reverted to my normal case for my weekend in Llandudno.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 25th June 2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Instead of a bunch of mixed size cases that we used to lug around, including a huge one that she always managed to fill, I bought some 20 inch 'cabin cases'. One great thing about the small cabin cases (apart being smaller and 'wheeled'), is that they are a perfect fit into the very back of the D2 boot. Sizes can vary slightly from one brand to another, so you'd need to check before buying, but you can usually fit 4 or 5 of them (on their side), right at the back. Not only does that make loading the boot a lot easier but it gives better weight distribution, putting the weight forward of the rear wheels.

Having smaller cases also seems to make us both more selective, packing less overall. We have 5 of the cabin case, should we need them, but it becomes a challenge to use as few of them as possible.
. . . and its like Thunderbird 2 with various "pods" of clothing you can extract to suit the occasion. . .

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs