A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Our Other Audi Friends > A4/S4/RS4 B8

A4/S4/RS4 B8 2008 Onwards

Old 17th January 2018, 06:27 PM

Default Swapping A4 B8 Convenience module - tips/tricks?

I'm about to help a friend of mine swap the Central Convenience Module (8K0907064N) on his 2009 A4 Avant.

He has a raft of errors showing up when I scan with VCDS, corresponding to a selection of "real" problems with his car. The CCM seems to be the main culprit (long-standing EEPROM error among others) and potentially is implicated in others.

He's ordered a used replacement of the same N version and I plan to check the coding and replicate using the Ross-Tech reference: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...Comfort_System
Edit: Sorry, here: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...(8K/8T)_Tweaks

Is anyone aware of any relevant tricks or tips to help with this; the unit seems to be located quite accessibly behind a removable panel in the offside boot area? Are there any component protection issues for example?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 17th January 2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 17th January 2018, 08:40 PM

That platform has two BCM's, and you missed a number off the part so not sure which module you mean?

Either
Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519) 8K0907063N
or
Address 46: Central Conv. (J393) 8K0907064N - But I think this is the one due to your description of its location.

Just note down the current coding and perform a Controller Channel Map of the current module prior to removing it. If you need security access try 16017.

Not sure about CP on that platform.

I would note this caution from Ross-Tech

Quote:
These vehicles use two BCM modules. BCM 1 is the [09] - Central Electronics which is responsible for most of the lighting in the front of the vehicle and sub-system controls including wiper activity.
BCM 2 is the [46] - Comfort System module AND it has a virtual address address word [05] - Acc/Start Auth. (J393) (aka KESSY). BCM 2 controls most of the rear body lighting and conventional comfort operations such as windows and door locks. The KESSY itself is the immobilizer, and does not have a sense of humor - in other words don't mess with him.
And also this relating to BCM 2
Quote:
Caution!

Do not save a value of 0 to channel 00 since this can cause keys to be erased, even if you do not have the PIN code for the vehicle. This can cause none of the keys to allow the car to start, likely resulting in the car being flatbedded to an Audi dealer for repairs. It's quite a poor design on Audi's part, if you are able to erase keys without a PIN code yet one is required (or a more involved challenge, etc) to match them.
I think it's not going to be a straight swap due to the immobilizer being within that module. Do let us know how you get on.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,

Last edited by mattylondon; 17th January 2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 17th January 2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
Address 46: Central Conv. (J393) 8K0907064N - But I think this is the one due to your description of its location.
Yes, that's the one, just missed the 4 out - typo now corrected!

Thanks for the other advice too, every little helps.

And by the way, I don't think this vehicle has keyless entry, it's press buttons. The key fob has to be inserted in a slot in the dash to start.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 17th January 2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 17th January 2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I think it's not going to be a straight swap due to the immobilizer being within that module. Do let us know how you get on.
Having had a bit of a rummage round online it seems that with a KESSY system it's going to be difficult, but with a non-KESSY (as this car is) the keys will NOT need to be reprogrammed, just the replacement CCM set up appropriately as the authorisation comes from elsewhere and is communicated to the CCM via CAN-BUS.
Old 17th January 2018, 09:38 PM

It's not so much to do with KESSY, more that the immo is onboard 8K0907064N.

Old 17th January 2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Having had a bit of a rummage round online it seems that with a KESSY system it's going to be difficult, but with a non-KESSY (as this car is) the keys will NOT need to be reprogrammed, just the replacement CCM set up appropriately as the authorisation comes from elsewhere and is communicated to the CCM via CAN-BUS.
Makes the job easier!

Old 17th January 2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
It's not so much to do with KESSY, more that the immo is onboard 8K0907064N.
If that's still the case without KESSY I guess we'll know pretty quickly!
Does seem a bit odd though given it's location remote from the key/cluster.