A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 2nd May 2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
video-in-motion
An interesting observation on this, I'm using the Kufatec solution which cuts the GALA feed.
With VIM enabled it stays on the video input irrespective of speed. As you would expect.
With VIM off (i.e. normal speed sensing) you get the warning message for few seconds then it reverts to another (standard) input. I've not 100% worked out the logic behind this (I haven't really tried) but mostly I end up back on the SatNav. Which is fine.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 24th May 2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
One step forwards and two back as ever.......
I intended to fit everything properly today but only managed the aerials.

The RNS-D wouldn't quite go all the way back so I need to rejig some wiring behind it, and one aerial lead doesn't quite reach where I needed it to.
The best laid plans and all that. Today was earmarked to get everything back and working.
However so far, after a TITANIC struggle with uncooperative cabling, all I've actually achieved is to get the aerial leads to a convenient place and the RNS-D back in place without excessive force.
And the XCarlink and reversing camera are still working.

Tomorrow I'll attack refitting the TV tuner, tidy up the cabling and see if the knee panel will go back with all the extra (carefully-located) stuff behind and in it. Fingers crossed.

To take my mind of this I might indulge in a bit of "Woolies Therapy" first.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 24th May 2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 24th May 2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
The best laid plans and all that. Today was earmarked to get everything back and working.
However so far, after a TITANIC struggle with uncooperative cabling, all I've actually achieved is to get the aerial leads to a convenient place and the RNS-D back in place without excessive force.
And the XCarlink and reversing camera are still working.

Tomorrow I'll attack refitting the TV tuner, tidy up the cabling and see if the knee panel will go back with all the extra (carefully-located) stuff behind and in it. Fingers crossed.

To take my mind of this I might indulge in a bit of "Woollies Therapy" first.
The simplest jobs sometimes seem to take the longest but, what the hell, its a labour of love
Old 24th May 2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
its a labour of love
It wasn't love with Woolies. I managed to knock the bottle of renovator over and despite having the "plug" in (which popped out) most of it ran out and made an almighty mess.
Lots of swearing while I cleaned up and tried to recover as much of it as I could.
Eventually got 2 coats on the drivers seat facings and will have to seal that tomorrow before diving into the drivers footwell to finish the TV job.

Last edited by HPsauce; 24th May 2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 25th May 2017, 05:17 PM

Channel 4's coverage of Monaco and a nice sunny day was too tempting, but I still made some progress later this afternoon.
Had to finish the drivers seat leather work first and TBH it's a bit of a curates egg and rather patchy; I suspect I need to do it again soon.
Much of the wiring is now fairly tidy and most major (and minor) components are fixed in their final places.

Just the TV tuner to site and cable up now before putting the knee panel (with XCarlink) back, if it still fits!
Also did a quick functional test before tidying up for the day and everything is still working.

Last edited by HPsauce; 25th May 2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 26th May 2017, 05:26 PM

Mission accomplished.

Good job that I test thoroughly at every stage though. Just before I was ready to put the knee panel back I found that the reversing camera wasn't working.
A bit of logic and observation led me to suspect the power supply to the radio link receiver and indeed there was a poor connection there in the 12v lead. Easy to fix at that stage but not soon after as the wiring was about to be certoflexed and buried!

Then I found one of my TV aerials had been dislodged, messing up reception. The hot weather had softened the adhesive holding it to the window glass. I can live with that problem for now.

DVB-T works fine, radio and TV and the reversing camera is fine too. Video-in-motion controlled by an OEM-style switch in the blanking plate position on the lower right dash. XCarlink fully functional including Bluetooth to my iPhone for calls and music and the CD changer is still operational too. Microphone for phone calls installed in what I think is the OEM position near the reading light switches. XCarlink unit is in the drivers knee cubby so that I can swap SD cards and plug in USB storage and mini-jack audio inputs if necessary.

Magic eye for the TV remote is at the bottom left of the instrument cluster, on top of the rectangular blanking panel that covers one of the fixing screws. See attached picture which also shows the TV working with BoJo on the BBC news!
(Also shows my radio controlled clock is working well and a piece of Velcro that is now superfluous and needs removing )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DVB-T.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	16162  

Last edited by HPsauce; 26th May 2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 28th May 2017, 12:47 PM

I still need to sort out the drivers cubby a bit, some wiring isn't secured adequately.

On the plus side I incredibly got Channel 4 TV reception while driving down the A413 near Whitchurch (North of Aylesbury) while tuned to Crystal Palace 60 miles away! Lost it as I dropped into Aylesbury Vale with the Chiltern Hills in the way.

And having VIM on doesn't seem to affect the SatNav operation in the slightest, apart from video input overriding the SatNav display on the RNS-D.
Old 18th September 2017, 11:02 AM

Excellent reception (after retuning) sitting at ADI in Castle Combe, watched a fair bit of F1 coverage from Singapore - Practice 3 was on in the morning.

Even got Neil's approval (almost) for the unobtrusive location of my twin diversity aerials in the rear quarter light windows.

For reference this is (or is very similar to) the unit and aerials I bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180857925423

Last edited by HPsauce; 18th September 2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 9th February 2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Excellent reception
Today I was working inside the car (on the lumbar pads, but that's another story) and put the radio on. I did switch between DAB and FM and one thing that was then very noticeable was the total lack of background hiss on DAB. I was listening to Radio 4 on both.

I guess when you're driving you wouldn't notice it on FM due to assorted background noises, but with the ignition off the difference was quite surprising.