A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 11th March 2015, 12:31 PM

Default Run out of diesel!!!

I've put is in the banter section because as I expect a few will get a laugh out of it but I've run out of diesel.

I've put some diesel in it but it won't start. It's just turning over. I'm assuming there's air in the system.

I would appreciate it if anybody could tell me how to sort this out myself before I call in the professionals...
Old 11th March 2015, 12:47 PM

I think you may need the fuel to get sucked through - dont turn it over too much as I think Diesel is a part of the lubrication for the engine (Could be wrong on that though.)

Not sure how much that costs, but good luck mate

Brian
P.S. LOL!!
Old 11th March 2015, 12:57 PM

You are right, diesel lubes the injection pump but it shouldn't cause any damage at cranking speeds in this situation. If you are being pedantic and by the book, you would ideally vac bleed it past the injection pump 1st but that is quite extreme and applicable if you have bucket loads of air in there.

Fill it up to a decent level ie beyond half. Crank for 20-30 seconds. let stand for a few minutes for starter to cool before repeating otherwise damage will occur. It should bleed itself with any luck..
Old 11th March 2015, 01:04 PM

I’m not all that good under the bonnet of the D3 so I’m not sure if it will self prime, but if it’s just winding over and not even coughing then I would say not.
Probably won’t have an inline primer either and that is what you’re going to need to get the fuel up. They look like this
if you do have one and will be inline on the fuel pipe.

It will make things much easier in the future if you change your own fuel filter or run out of derv again.
You might also be able to crack (undo) a fuel pipe off an injector and wind it over to force the air out that way, but be careful you don’t snap anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel bulb.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	10321  

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 11th March 2015, 01:31 PM

Yeah you need to put in a decent amount, the fuel pumps are electric in the tank, there is more than one because of the saddle tank setup.

I would have thought once fuel was in it would go but can't say for sure.

Have you had a listen around the back end of it to see if fuel pump is actually trying to pump fuel?

It may have died due to lack of fuel....

Old 11th March 2015, 01:42 PM

Cheers for the advice, had another go myself with more fuel but to no avail and its turning over slower and slower each time, must be draining the battery.

Have somebody coming down from a local garage now. Hopefully he will get it going.

That will teach me for driving round with the fuel light on anyway, bad habit I've got in to.
Old 11th March 2015, 02:05 PM

Run out a couple of times and restarted just by long cranking - but as said it's probably bad for it.
I did cycle the ignition a few times and leave 30 seconds in case the in-tank pump primes (I don't think it stays on).

Ideally, you need to at least connect a vacuum to the fuel filter's top nipple that has a screw in it and pull some fuel out.

I suppose an alternative would be to clean the top of the filter (to stop debris), remove the R-clip and pull off the diverter and then pour clean diesel into the 10p size hole in the filter and replace valve.
Old 11th March 2015, 02:34 PM

Not sure about common rail systems but VP and PD engines you need to bleed system with vacuum first and you should not crank more than 10 sec on those after bleeding, if does not start within 10 sec needs repeated bleeding again otherwise there is a risk to damage VP pump or PD units. Like I said not sure about common rail systems, they might tolerate it more but it cannot be good for high pressure pump to keep turning over without fuel in it.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 11th March 2015, 02:47 PM

Mechanic from down the road sorted it for £30 thankfully!

Hooked the battery upto a power pack, took one of the fuel lines off and let some air out until some fuel came through... turned it over a few times and eventually it fired up
Old 11th March 2015, 02:47 PM

Good to hear

Brian