A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 27th January 2016, 11:39 AM

Default Sugggestions for broken body studs

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any bright ideas for attaching the engine bay heat shields when the body studs have broken off? My car lived by the seaside I think and so mixed metal corrosion has had its way anywhere there is something steel attached to the body. Several of the studs had already fallen off when I got it, and the first one I waved a socket at also just fell off so I stopped messing with them!

Audi obviously used studs on the alloy body for a reason, instead of plastic inserts like the A4 and A6 have. The first pic is the hollow frame rail so a nutsert would work there (since it already has plenty in it for other things) but the second one is double-skinned so no drilling holes there. The only other solution I can think of is gluing the heat shields on with sikaflex

Any suggestions?

For comedy value, every one of the steel clips holding the fuel lines just crumbles to dust when you touch it too Only £8 each from TPS...
Old 27th January 2016, 02:48 PM

Rather than drilling and making things worse I would probably flush the broken piece of, prime and paint it to seal it then bond a fastener on in place using two part epoxy

http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.u...el-thread.aspx

Old 28th January 2016, 12:20 AM

Ooh I'm liking that! Great idea thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 05:26 PM

This came from East Coast Fibreglass

Studs as suggested, and a two-part acrylic structural adhesive recommended by East Coast.

So, started by grinding off the broken studs and using tape to mark the space for the new one. I decided to apply the glue straight to bare metal, on the grounds that it will stick to aluminium better than it sticks to paint, and better than paint sticks to aluminium.

There are four broken under the bonnet, and this one up in the wheel arch. Also spot the new nutsert - someone had snapped off a bolt in it and just mashed it up so I cut the old one out and stuck in a replacement.

Apply the adhesive and smoosh in to the holes on the studs. Its quite 'grabby' so I didn't need to support the studs while it dried - they just sat there, even the upside down one in the wheel arch.

Painted over them with some touch-up paint to make sure no bare aluminium was left exposed. It was all covered by glue tbh, but they look less obvious like this too. Not that you'll see them when the heat shields are back on.

Shear strength of this adhesive is 20N/mm2, so with 30mm square studs they can theoretically support 1.8 tons They should be fine to support a few grams of heat shield then, which go back on tomorrow.

Thanks Delboy for the idea
Old 7th February 2016, 05:40 PM

No problem fella, looks like a good repair you done there and if people didn't know better it could pass for factory.

Old 7th February 2016, 07:45 PM

Great solution suggestion from DEL and thanks for writing up the repair with pictures - I've added this to the repair sticky for this section

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 7th February 2016, 08:09 PM

Cool Not a fella btw
Old 7th February 2016, 08:20 PM

Love stuff like this. Very helpful and great resource for people in the future.

Glad it all came together well.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 7th February 2016, 08:56 PM

not the most observant me, I am a fella so please forgive me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Cool Not a fella btw