A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 3rd April 2020, 07:38 AM

Default Replacing std speakers, not bose, to better ones?

I've been trying to search for info about replacing std speakers in a A8 D3 with std speaker system, and there seems to be nothing. The reason to replace is that they sound like crap, so I hardly use the sound system at all since I bought the car over five years ago. Does anyone know the size of the speakers, and will, lets say a 6,5" speaker fit with the bracket in the door if the original one is 6,5"? May bose speakers from at D3 fit, assuming they sound better? I'm not thinking about replacing the amps or anything else, just the speakers.
S8 anti-roll bars front and rear
Complete rear LED taillight
Xenon fog lights
All interior LED
S8 rims 9x20"
Stage II tune
S8 Grill
Old 4th April 2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl View Post
I've been trying to search for info about replacing std speakers in a A8 D3 with std speaker system, and there seems to be nothing. The reason to replace is that they sound like crap, so I hardly use the sound system at all since I bought the car over five years ago. Does anyone know the size of the speakers, and will, lets say a 6,5" speaker fit with the bracket in the door if the original one is 6,5"? May bose speakers from at D3 fit, assuming they sound better? I'm not thinking about replacing the amps or anything else, just the speakers.
The problem is everything is component-protected on an optical link, IIRC.

I feel the same way about mine.
Old 4th April 2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J i m s t e r View Post
The problem is everything is component-protected on an optical link, IIRC.
Since it's only the speakers being replaced, there shouldn't be an issue with component protection.

NightOwl - What about contacting the forum sponsors and asking them about speaker dimensions, as at least they are more likely to have them sitting around? You could also query impedance values as well.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 4th April 2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
NightOwl - What about contacting the forum sponsors and asking them about speaker dimensions, as at least they are more likely to have them sitting around? You could also query impedance values as well.
Good idea, inquiry sent.
Xenon fog lights
All interior LED
S8 rims 9x20"
Stage II tune
S8 Grill
Old 6th April 2020, 01:28 PM

Short update.

I ripped off a door panel in the front today, and can say that no 3. party speakers will fit without considerable fabrication as the bracket for the speaker was molded together with the speaker housing. But that said, looking at the BOSE speakers for sale at eBay for the D3, it looks like the bracket is also molded together with the speaker housing in the same way, so maybe it would be just to swap them out?
Xenon fog lights
All interior LED
S8 rims 9x20"
Stage II tune
S8 Grill
Old 6th April 2020, 02:37 PM

It looks like an ordinary speaker screwed in to a bespoke bracket from pictures on Google images. Did you remove the speaker from the door card or just look at the back of it?

It also looks like Audison do a direct drop-in replacement: https://srotas24.co.uk/car-parts/aud...872993648.html
Old 6th April 2020, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the link and comment, MikkiJayne.

I removed the speaker completely from the door, and the bracket and the speaker housing is made out of one piece of plastic. Although, looking closer at the BOSE speakers, it looks like they are screwed into at separate bracket like those in the Audison link.

In the afternoon I received a message from Prestige Motor, that the BOSE speaker will fit directly and will work. He confirmed that they have done it for a customer. Obviously it won't be like a complete BOSE system without the proper amplifier and also the BOSE system has to two speakers in the parcel shelf (and a center treble in the front) that the std sound system doesn't have.

I feel tempted to go on with this...
Xenon fog lights
All interior LED
S8 rims 9x20"
Stage II tune
S8 Grill
Old 14th April 2020, 05:30 PM

Not meaning to send the thread OT but does anyone know why the standard door speakers have two input connections and the sound is the same from each?
Old 15th April 2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdred View Post
Not meaning to send the thread OT but does anyone know why the standard door speakers have two input connections and the sound is the same from each?
Good question! My initial thought was that Audi used the same speaker in more models and may have two together and use the second connection to connect the other speaker. It would lower the impedance and the amp wouldn't be too happy with that though. Also, doing a search on 4E0035411M, gives only A8 D3 fitment, so maybe it's not used in any other models? On the other hand, a lot of speaker elements do have dual terminals for plus and minus.

Talking about speakers, the BOSE set is on the way and have expected arrival on Friday.
Xenon fog lights
All interior LED
S8 rims 9x20"
Stage II tune
S8 Grill
Old 15th April 2020, 08:33 PM

Is one connection the input from the amp and the other the output to the tweeter?