A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior

D2 - Interior Seats, dashboards, plastics, ventilation everything inside the cabin

Old 8th June 2020, 09:09 PM

Default Rear dome/map lights

My rear dome/map lights seems to work whenever it feels like it. As of right now it's not working when opening the rear doors. What is causing this problem? Can it be fixed? I'm guessing the light assembly is no longer available new?
Old 8th June 2020, 09:42 PM

I had this problem and spent ages investigating, even replacing the unit which wasn't very productive as the replacement had similar issues.
It's documented here somewhere, but your problems are probably due to dry/cracked solder joints. Mine definitely were.

Basically the solution for me was to take it apart (surprisingly easy) and IIRC open up the switch/control block and resolder the joints on the PCB inside.
It all pops open with care and clicks back together, nothing needs breaking or gluing afterwards to reassemble.

I resoldered both my units so now have AFAIK a working spare too - beige, but a bit scruffy.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 8th June 2020 at 09:51 PM.
Old 8th June 2020, 10:34 PM

Thanks for the way info. I did a search on here and found your old post about this. That spare assembly that you still have, would you be willing to post pictures of it taken apart showing what and where the bad solder joints needs to be fixed?
Old 9th June 2020, 08:49 AM

Not sure I can find it or even know where it is I'm afraid.

That thread you found describes in the subsequent posts how to take it apart pretty comprehensively though. Those bus bars just pry out and everything else is just clipped together so can be released undamaged with care. The PCB is quite small so not many connections to fix. And it can probably be done still mounted if you prefer to only remove the busbars.

IIRC the switch itself, although I did take it apart, wasn't my problem and can be checked externally with a multimeter so probably best to leave that in one piece.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 9th June 2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 9th June 2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Not sure I can find it or even know where it is I'm afraid.
But I did pop the unit out that's installed in the car. I don't want to dismantle that as it's working, so a photo is attached of the PCB with busbars in the way.

The 6 pins in a row are the socket, with 2 immediately behind widely spaced.
Then there are 7 more in a row (3 and 4 either side of a busbar socket and partly obscured in the photo).

I just don't recall which 3 are the rocker switch, but best to look at them all closely and remake any suspect solder joints.
(My suspicion would be the top left three almost hidden in the photo as the top right group of three that are visible are interconnected on the PCB - pointless for a switch!)

It's incredible how heavy and over-engineered this is for what it does!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InteriorPCB.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	23467  

Last edited by HPsauce; 9th June 2020 at 09:49 AM.
Old 9th June 2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I don't want to dismantle that as it's working
To get at the switch unit:
1. Remove the transparent window and take out the festoon bulbs. Optionally remove the map/reading light bulbs too.
2. Lever out bus bars carefully (there are a couple of plastic lugs to push aside for the big one)

If you want to lift out the PCB and switch block it's held in by the big black plastic clips either side - very easy to push them back to release, any old blunt blade should do.
Old 9th June 2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
It's incredible how heavy and over-engineered this is for what it does!
Yes it is WAY over-engineered for something that is supposed to a simple light assembly.

Quote:
To get at the switch unit:
1. Remove the transparent window and take out the festoon bulbs. Optionally remove the map/reading light bulbs too.
2. Lever out bus bars carefully (there are a couple of plastic lugs to push aside for the big one)

If you want to lift out the PCB and switch block it's held in by the big black plastic clips either side - very easy to push them back to release, any old blunt blade should do.
Thanks for the info. I currently have mine taken out of the car and will carefully take it apart.
Old 9th June 2020, 06:35 PM

Here is a picture of my rear light assembly taken out of my S8. Oh my gosh I hate rust!

I carefully pulled out the bus bars and light switch.

Here is a close up picture of the light switch circuit board.

Do I need to separate this green circuit board to fix the solder joints? If so, do I just carefully pry up the circuit board?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear light 1.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	24418   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear light 2.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	24419   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear light switch.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	24420  

Last edited by Audifan; 9th November 2020 at 10:42 PM. Reason: switched pictures to attachment
Old 9th June 2020, 09:17 PM

NO! All the joints are in front of you. Just make sure they are separate from each other and resolder as needed. Some of those look less than ideal.
There is a clear short circuit bottom left for a start!

I usually scrape away contamination with a sharp point and after soldering apply some nail varnish to seal (ooooh missus!)

Last edited by HPsauce; 9th June 2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 9th June 2020, 11:49 PM

Ah ok. I'll see if I can get my friend to help out with this as he's more experienced with type of stuff then me.