A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 11th October 2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kele View Post
I did x4 new on mine this week. You do need to "get up to speed" on a run before they display temps.
Which ones did you go for?

OK so panic is over for now. I have reset them in the past and they have come up reasonably quickly. I did 2 separate drives and they did not initialise. Yesterday, I drove 5 mins up the road (normal 30mph roads) and just as I parked up they came to life

They worked fine on the return journey too so even though they showed 0 months and no voltage, this seems to be due to them not being initialised.

I will look for a replacement anyway as they won't last forever and I can put one in the spare to test as that one has never worked.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 11th October 2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Looking at your link, it the programming pad simply to set the frequency? I looked at lots of different sensors last night and they state that no programming is necessary and they just need initialising. I do have VCDS if it's required.
I'm only on here once a day now, so somewhat late to responding... and you've resolved the issue anyway.

The sensors I bought were Autel MX sensors and did require programming, which is what the pad is required for. You run the software on your PC, select the appropriate car, and when requested to do so, put the sensor on the pad (repeat for each sensor). It seems to work like induction charging on mobiles.

I found out the hard way as I only bought the sensors (there was nothing in the ads about programming and nothing about what the pad was for). Had they fitted to freshly refurbed wheels, went through the initialising and setting processes numerous times and they wouldn't work. Checked the official Autel site out and found out why.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 11th October 2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I'm only on here once a day now, so somewhat late to responding... and you've resolved the issue anyway.

The sensors I bought were Autel MX sensors and did require programming, which is what the pad is required for. You run the software on your PC, select the appropriate car, and when requested to do so, put the sensor on the pad (repeat for each sensor). It seems to work like induction charging on mobiles.

I found out the hard way as I only bought the sensors (there was nothing in the ads about programming and nothing about what the pad was for). Had they fitted to freshly refurbed wheels, went through the initialising and setting processes numerous times and they wouldn't work. Checked the official Autel site out and found out why.
Thank you . Makes sense now as they were 'universal' and hence needed programming to the car.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 11th October 2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
The sensors I bought were Autel MX sensors and did require programming.
+1
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 31st May 2022, 11:08 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Had a good read through the other threads but most of them seem unfinished or inconclusive.

Yesterday, my pressure warning light came on so I checked the TPMS display and the values were all in orange instead of green. The figures seemed a bit on the low side (maybe 1 PSI) but overall OK. I decided to top them up to make sure, they were fine. Back in the car, the DIS warning is still on so I re-initialised the tyres. Since then, the DIS warning has gone but the figures no longer display, just a dash on the screen even though it is green. The spare has always shown this since I bought the car and never checked if it actually has a sensor in it or not although the spare seems to be new.

So, VCDS out and all sensors are showing 0 months and no voltage. I can't see how they would all have died at the same time. There is no error in VCDS and it connects to the control unit fine. I will check the fuse tomorrow too, I am in the process of locating it. Is it time for new sensors? I've been looking for alternatives as ETKA shows them as £106 each.
So I’ve been through this issue recently. Replaced my two front tyres and so also replaced both front TPMS sensors with typical eBay ones - all rubbish!!
Subsequently I Found these folks ‘TPMS Warehouse’ on the internet with excellent results. For the 2006 S8 d3 the OEM (Huf/Beru) part number is RDE001 and the sensors are supplied pre calibrated and tested - excellent vendor: £172,80 for both fronts.
Fitted you need to initialise and go for a drive and I did a 20mm motorway drive and initialised perfectly - tyre pressures and temperatures perfect now
https://tpmswarehouse.co.uk/
Old 4th June 2022, 12:01 PM

I never did source a replacement, maybe because they are still working 12+ months on. I will have a look at ^^those for the future