A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 15th March 2014, 09:47 PM

That's brilliant.
Thank you.

Gives me time to do some more research.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 31st May 2014, 10:25 PM

Default Component protection

Great write up, thanks - I have started fitting mine and have got most of the parts. Unfortunately, on my boot lid, I had to cut out a small piece where the camera sits with the dremmel. I assume later model have a cut out instead.

As I already have cable tubes on both sides of the boot, I decided to make my own loom and Im glad I did as there was no chance of getting the insides of the fakra cable down there. As it was I spent about an hour feeding the cables through using loads of silicone lube to encourage the cables through!

Did you get component protection on the gateway? If so, what was affected? Im wondering what will happen if I cant get CP removed for a couple of weeks...

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain
Old 31st May 2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomguy View Post
Great write up, thanks - I have started fitting mine and have got most of the parts. Unfortunately, on my boot lid, I had to cut out a small piece where the camera sits with the dremmel. I assume later model have a cut out instead.

As I already have cable tubes on both sides of the boot, I decided to make my own loom and Im glad I did as there was no chance of getting the insides of the fakra cable down there. As it was I spent about an hour feeding the cables through using loads of silicone lube to encourage the cables through!

Did you get component protection on the gateway? If so, what was affected? Im wondering what will happen if I cant get CP removed for a couple of weeks...
The write up is not quite finished yet.

I was worried about the CP but it never kicked in on mine with a different gateway????

Its meant to have it too.

As for you grip molding, the one for the camera is different, with different boot release button etc.

All the part numbers are in the pdf attached to the thread.

Good luck with the install

Old 31st May 2014, 11:14 PM

Maybe i will be lucky then, I'll have a go at fitting the gateway tomorrow, cheers

Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Old 1st June 2014, 12:20 AM

Done

Old 1st June 2014, 06:30 PM

Default Gateway fitted

Interesting, fitted the CAN gateway this afternoon, and no component protection either....roll on the last of the wiring. I plan to get the tracking done in a couple of weeks after replacing all of the control arms and track rod ends so hope to get it calibrated too!

Old 1st June 2014, 07:00 PM

Nice, save you the hassle of going to the dealer, I was worried about it on mine, don't know what the reduced functionality would be on the can gateway?

Old 5th June 2014, 07:00 AM

Thanks to your excellent guide, mines now up an running too. For those of you who want to make their own looms too, you'll need a bunch of wire, heat shrink, plus the following:

1 x Module wiring connector 4E0972144 £2.65each
3 x Repair wires for above 000979010e (has a connector each end to give 6 in total) £4.96each
1 x camera wiring connector 1J0973119 £2.35 each
1 x repair wire for above 000979019e £3.50 each
1 x repair wire to add fuse 000979135e
1 x 5a fuse

Note: I went for the 0.5mm repair wires as thats all that is available for the module connector, but you can also get 1mm wires for the camera if you want heavier duty ones.

I couldn't find any original Fakra cables so made my own using these:

5 x universal Fakra female jacks £2.60 each (http://www.co-star.co.uk/prod/1173/f...e-z-rg174.html)
1 x universal Fakra male plug £2.60 each (http://www.co-star.co.uk/prod/3815/f...e-z-rg174.html)
About 5m of RG174 co-ax cable (http://www.co-star.co.uk/prod/3590/c...rg174-10m.html)
Crimping tool HT-336T from ebay for £15

If you cant get this one, you can use any other crimp which has a 0.028" (0.71mm) die for the centre pin and a 0.128" to 0.137" (3.25-3.5mm) die for the sheath.

You need the male plug to extend the existing cable running to the front of the car from the TV to the new RVC module.

If you are super anal, then you can get the correct coded Fakra connectors instead of the universal ones from co star- the camera ones are grey, green to the control head (including the male plug to extend the cable) and brown from the TV module)

I don't actually like splicing into existing cables so also bought repair wires for the CAN connections, so that I pulled them from the parking module and made a loom extension with the repair wires to link into the parking module and camera module.

Overall, at dealer prices, it wasnt any cheaper to make my own loom, but the repair wires are available on ebay, and this would bring the cost down a lot. Cheaper Fakra connectors are also available on ebay from China, but just make sure that they are for RG174 cable (the ones I got first were not and had solder centre pins).

Good luck!

Last edited by Somerandomguy; 5th June 2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 5th June 2014, 04:25 PM

Great write up mate
Really really good. You guys just keep adding stuff to my list and making it even easier (harder to resist)
This and DAB is what's next, but first of all I have to finally finish wiring xenon range module, and thats a lot of wiring, a lot !!!

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 5th June 2014, 04:57 PM

DAB is good for the range of stations (My favourite is only on DAB/Internets), but the actual quality on DAB is shocking, with many music stations broadcasting in 64k MONO (YES!! MONOPHONIC, like the 60's).

Just saying

I know.. I know..