A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 25th August 2015, 01:48 PM

Camspec came back to me just now
Looks like a pin hole in one of the feed pipes
They just need to refill, locate the hole exactly and repair
Fingers crossed
Old 25th August 2015, 05:25 PM

Strikes me that repairing the pipe could be risky, considering the possible £££'s outcome should it happen again
Old 25th August 2015, 06:16 PM

New pipes ordered
Will be fitted tomorrow 120£ for a set
Ones on the car were parished as well, after further investigation
Looked like a pin hole but after cleaning and drying all out-bin they go
Old 25th August 2015, 06:45 PM

Good they were able to fit you in

I'll be down there next week getting my S8 MOT a few units down so may pop in and say hello.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 25th August 2015, 08:05 PM

Just out of interest Borys, which pipe actually failed? The one that failed on mine was behind the near side fog light grille and was exposed to cold air and I suspect that's what accelerated it's demise. It has a couple of bends in it and heads off towards the bulkhead behind the manifold heat shield if that helps?

I had a new section pieced in after checking the existing hose was still perfect as it looked like an engine out job to replace it all. That was the decision of an experienced mechanic mind, not mine. I just relied on his experience and what he showed me when it was up on the lift.

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 26th August 2015, 09:43 AM

From phone coversation I understood two pipes running next to each other, one goes to cooler other to steering rack just behind oil sump
They just parrished
Concern of mech was the one going to the rack,access wise
He'll update me today
I need to take photos anyways as dealer agreed to cover costs
Old 26th August 2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borys View Post
From phone coversation I understood two pipes running next to each other, one goes to cooler other to steering rack just behind oil sump They just parrished
Concern of mech was the one going to the rack,access wise
He'll update me today
I need to take photos anyways as dealer agreed to cover costs
All sounds very familiar, my mechanic had the exact same concerns

Hope you get sorted and have your car back soon. I'd be interested to see any photos you take, please share them on here

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 26th August 2015, 12:40 PM

Car done and collected
Didn't take pics thou
But for future reference pipes 120 plus oil additive, few clips and was charged 3 hours labour which included diagnostic
Invoice scanned sent to dealer for a full refund to myself
Happy days
Old 27th August 2015, 08:36 PM
Banned

exactly the pipe i suspected it would be, I recently fixed this same issue for a Customer, he actually collected the car after having other work carried out and managed to get only 1 mile away before the pipe burst and became impossible to steer, i have seen the same on 3 S8s now is under the Air box on the Right hand side of the engine there was joints that had been Spliced into the existing Pipe that leads to the rack.
the fog light grill dose indeed allow the pipe to be in the stream of cold air " Although ive no idea why this might cause a rapid demise of the pipe, Maybe the constant heating and cooling of the pipe"

If you own an S8 check under your Air box ... if its cobbled together with a copper pipe insert then chances are its failed at some point ... sadly im given to understand that the Engine must come out to change the entire pipe correctly from Reservoir to Steering Rack but that could cost ££££££ so i think most people chose to cut the pipe and put in an insert and live with it.

Glad you got it sorted Borys
Old 27th August 2015, 08:48 PM

Could the engine be lifted in situ without undoing much to give enough clearance?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC