A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 16th October 2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Hmm...never quite saw you as the Borg Queen, but maybe I'm not thinking hard enough...
I'm more of the monster's mother, but I'm not one to waste a good analogy

Click image for larger version

Name:	ripley.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	24185
Old 16th October 2020, 06:15 PM

Absolutely amazing work there MJ! Reading the thread just for the transformation of the car is one thing, but I find the clever thinking of getting the bolts out etc even more satisfying. It's these jobs that distinguishes a skilled mechanic from a bodge artist. Well done!

P.S. Love the new toy, you can never have too many toys in a workshop!
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 16th October 2020, 06:31 PM

Well until this thread I'd never heard of MAPP gas (stabilised methylacetylene-propadiene) but it sounds seriously useful, almost the temperature of all-out oxy-acetylene but in a handy can! What's not to like?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 16th October 2020, 08:11 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Absolutely amazing work there MJ!.... I find the clever thinking of getting the bolts out etc even more satisfying. It's these jobs that distinguishes a skilled mechanic from a bodge artist.
I’ve followed one of Michaela’s threads on my own car - it’s amazing! The 200 or so photos that accompanied the thread were a daily thrill!

But the huge difference is that, had I taken my car to anyone else to get the chain tensioners sorted, that’s what I would have got (hopefully). Michaela did the job and sorted a host of issues along the way with some ingenious solutions, some of which that would have thwarted most mechanics.

But she also addressed and fixed everything else that she found along the way (and not just engine related stuff). She even cleaned the whole engine bay before she put it and the box back, and repainted my inlet manifolds.

The car news runs like a dream - with well over 190K miles on the clock.

Michaela is not just a skilled mechanic - she’s a genius, a perfectionist and an artist. And also a selfless sharer of all her knowledge. IMHO, one of the greatest assets (if not THE greatest asset) to this forum.

Hope you’re not too embarrassed, Michaela
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 16th October 2020, 08:38 PM

Well deserved accolades.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 17th October 2020, 12:35 PM

Is that suspension strut (or whatever it is called) aluminium on FL cars?

S8 quattro 6-gang PF / 200 quattro 20V / 944 Turbo / 500 SEC

Instagram @hptalli
Old 17th October 2020, 01:06 PM

Yes, facelift with 17 or 18" wheels had aluminium uprights / knuckles / achsschenkel with bolt-in wheel bearings for either Brembo or HP2 brakes, save for the first 500 cars which had a unique steel one. Factory FL with 20" wheels all had steel uprights, again for Brembo or HP2, but with a larger bolt-in bearing.

All FL had aluminium rear uprights too.
Old 17th October 2020, 03:32 PM

That's interesting!

I had 20" wheels from D3 on my PF S8, and it was just horrible to drive. I thought maybe I had too much unsprung mass, because I had read that FL cars had more aluminium on the chassis. But strange to hear that factory 20" had steel uprights. Bigger bearings make sense. There's a reason for everything I guess.

S8 quattro 6-gang PF / 200 quattro 20V / 944 Turbo / 500 SEC

Instagram @hptalli
Old 17th October 2020, 04:03 PM

Some edge-case where the original design calculations showed the alloy upright and / or 82mm bearing wasn't strong enough with the extra rotating mass / inertia of the 20" wheel I think, so they went for a steel upright and 92mm bearing, making the unsprung mass even worse!

The D2s with 20" wheels ride remarkably well though tbh.
Old 17th October 2020, 10:04 PM

Did the other upright yesterday. The tie rod bolt came out with the nut method, as did the pinch bolt, so only two hours for this one.

I replaced one of the CV boots (I've shown that before) but when I checked the other shaft I noticed the outer joint was loose. Its oddly common for people to reassemble the joints incorrectly when changing a boot. I have no idea why. As usual with this issue, the spring washer and spacer were missing

Luckily I had these two spare

Boot on first, then the spring washer, then the spacer

Should look like this:

Both shafts ready to go back on

So I put them back on

That's as far as I can go with the drivetrain now, so on to the car. This has been a city car so the arches are full of cobwebs rather than dirt

Both front and rear halves of the arch liner are damaged on this side. I think its run over some road debris like a traffic cone

Clean with Gtechniq W5 all purpose cleaner

Much nicer to work in

The tie rods are utterly seized and are never coming apart

Rescued the boots as they are just fine

Luckily I had some good original inners and low mileage Lemforder outers in the box of useful things so stuck those on. Same on the other side.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	149.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	24187   Click image for larger version

Name:	150.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	24188   Click image for larger version

Name:	151.jpg
Views:	465