A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 26th October 2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I'm interested but have 2 queries:
1. Is it definitely the same for LHD and RHD?
2. What about the issue Michaela found of fouling the cover?
1, I'm also interested in that, but one of our members here has one of the originals and so I presume it works ok. I am fairly sure the relationship of master cylinder and bulkheads is the same between LHD and RHD but I will check that tomorrow.

2, my plastic design was bulkier than the aluminium one and extended past the strut brace hence interfered with the cover. I'm currently printing a replica of the American one to check this very point in the morning
Old 27th October 2020, 01:36 AM

I know I am cheap but £45 seems a lot for something you could easily cut out of piece of metal, plastic or wood yourself

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 27th October 2020, 10:34 AM

the one i have definitely doesn't foul the cover

managed to get my friend to agree to a batch at £30 each if we can get 10 interested
Old 27th October 2020, 11:29 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Interested to hear Michaela's thoughts on the ‘ASA’ material used for printing, particularly how that might perform relative to aluminium
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 27th October 2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markiii View Post
managed to get my friend to agree to a batch at £30 each if we can get 10 interested
That's definitely an 'I don't want to do it' price
Old 27th October 2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I know I am cheap but £45 seems a lot for something you could easily cut out of piece of metal, plastic or wood yourself
I'm with you on this one. I was thinking more like £20, but from reading the first few posts of the thread, it's really only going to be noticeable under 'heavy braking', something I'm not akin to doing, so would it really be beneficial in that scenario?

In my 30+ years of driving my only heavy braking was during my driving lessons and test. I've had complete brake failure (boiled brake fluid) on a downhill gradient from a motorway off-slip, but that was in a Vauxhall Nova and I still managed to get the car stopped in time.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 27th October 2020, 12:51 PM

Personally I won't be using anything other than one made of aluminium.

I can see that the possibility of the £45 price tag is going to be an issue. For some anyway. Especially as this is relatively un-proven gizmo.

After a conversation with MJ this morning it seems that she is well down the path of making one for ourselves. Given that we all know the commitment and quality of workmanship she demonstrates, I think it would be foolish to jump the gun until we see what she has to offer.

I personally will still be ordering one from the US as Rob has been super helpful. I will also be ordering one from MJ to support her efforts and also, it could just be better.

I also like to spend my money, that's what it's there for 🤔

Thanks Frank
Old 27th October 2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Interested to hear Michaela's thoughts on the ‘ASA’ material used for printing, particularly how that might perform relative to aluminium
ASA is a fairly malleable plastic. It's compressive strength is only 50MPa, compared to PLA's 100MPa, or Aluminium's >500MPa. If printed in the right orientation PLA will theoretically make a difference however having watched how the master cylinder moves, plastic deformation is going to be an issue with the printed parts in the long term, whichever material they are made from. Constantly pressing against the block and effectively rotating it relative to the strut brace will eventually just push the plastic out of the way, resulting in a loose fit which will lose its effectiveness. This may be why I can no longer feel the original printed part in my S8, although I forget its even there most of the time.

Its one of those ideas which seemed good at the time (print everything!), but only because I didn't have access to a CNC. Having thought about it some more recently I do believe the only sensible permanent solution is aluminium, and a group buy of the American ones would seem like a good option were it not for the excessive shipping costs and import duty.

As the design appears to be public domain I will continue investigating a home-grown option and report back on what this is likely to cost.
Old 27th October 2020, 05:42 PM

A couple of before and after vids with a plastic part. In the after vid you can see it actually flexes the strut brace slightly

I can definitely feel a difference with this in place on Big Red - as Markiii described there is immediately less sponge in the pedal. I just don't think plastic is going to hold up here long term. I don't think anyone wants to wait for us to long term test them though do they?

The engine is running, but the sound level isn't too bad. Un-cut MP4s straight off my phone so they're about 50MB sorry!

Before:

After:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	24298   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	24299  
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 VID_20201027_170728.mp4 (42.93 MB, 439 views)
File Type: mp4 VID_20201027_171230.mp4 (49.21 MB, 460 views)
Old 27th October 2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
as Markiii described there is immediately less sponge in the pedal.
Watching both videos on a HD laptop screen, there is quite a lot of movement, more than I was expecting. (I used the letter L of 'USE ONLY' as a reference) Would this be why the brakes always seem soft, even after changing the brake fluid and bleeding them properly?

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds