A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 22nd February 2019, 07:24 AM

Default FL Headlight rubber surround

Hi guys,

I've just been wondering...
How do the rubber surrounds on the headlights of FL D2's stand up to the rigors of time in the UK?

Mine have died from UV exposure and I'm wondering if used replacements from the UK would be worth trying to source?
I doubt very much that Audi would still stock them new.

My only other choice is build up some silicone sealant, or spray the edges of the lights satin black.

The missing edges look a bit odd, particularly around the indicators...

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:42 AM

My NSF headlight surround has disintegrated right at the join of the bonnet shut/front wing so I'd guess the airflow around there is causing the rubbery compound to break up over time. Curiously, the OSF headlight is perfect but I suspect that one of my front headlights has been replaced at some point.

I'm going to attempt a fix if possible with some Sugru - I've already had some good results when repairing my boot lid grommet (OSR)
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:14 AM

Same problem here, I posted about it not long ago IIRC.
Let us know if Sugru works OK.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:41 PM

Sugru sounds like a good idea. Easier to form than silicone.
What's the adhesive quality like? As to do an effective repair will really need to stick to the lights.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
Sugru sounds like a good idea. Easier to form than silicone.
What's the adhesive quality like? As to do an effective repair will really need to stick to the lights.
It seems to have stuck quite well in the boot lid area and requires 24 hours to cure/go solid. There's a certain amount of give/springiness if you press it hard enough so I'm fairly sure it will do a good job with that annoying flapping bit on my headlight surround. Still, the proof of the pudding is always in the eating so let me have a go at it first beforehand.... I will probably have a crack at this next week sometime as I'm due to leave shortly for Somerset. Hopefully I might get spotted on my way down to the South West of England.
Old 25th February 2019, 08:03 PM

Default Had a go

I've had a go at repairing the NSF headlight surround. Compared to the offside headlight, it was broken right at the join between bonnet shutline and front wing and the remaining material was pretty frail. I shaped and formed the Sugru black stuff whilst supporting it as best I could from behind ( or you'll have nothing to push against).

I admit that the repair is not fit for showroom quality but it works for me. It was annoying to see that little flap of rubber poking out - I pushed it back in on a regular basis but the constant flow of air ensured that it worked its way loose each time after a couple of days. Now it's fixed.

Whilst working on the repair, I double-checked my handiwork on the boot grommets that I've also recently repaired with black Sugru and it all looks good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190225_171624882_reduced.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	20905