A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Alternative Fuels

Alternative Fuels For all those conversations about LPG, Electric, Hydrogen. Anything but petrol and diesel...

Old 22nd October 2019, 10:07 AM

If you're looking to convert the 8 to battery and motors in the future this thread is helpful. Also this Forum is not just for 8's but the 8 community or that's was my understanding, hence the sections. Cool wall, for sale ect.

So the likes of me that have no 8 anymore can still annoy everyone

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerrash View Post
Hi Ian,
I apologise well in advance for this reply as I have the utmost respect for what you do for this forum. I have to ask though, how is this thread helpful to existing D2 owners?

I am no luddite and accept that electric cars are going to be a major factor of our lives going forward. This is undisputed. How though, does this thread incorage those of us who are struggling with high parts costs, low parts availability and stupidly low resale values to continue?

An administrator promoting, with a link in his thread, the switch to a Tesla.

I respect your choice, I really do, but does this thread not contradict what this forum is all about?

Surely the "alternative fuels" section is about alternative fuels for the 8s and other old Audis not a long term test of a different brand altogether.

I realise I am putting myself out there with this reply and really hope it doesn't come back to bite me on the a--e at some point in the future when I need help with something.

Sometimes, even the police need to be policed.

With best intentions and really hoping not to offend anyone.

Frank
Hey Frank, no offence taken. I think its a fair comment.

The alternative fuels section was designed however specifically to discuss EV, Hybrids etc, and a bit of LPG has crept in. There are separate sections for D2 owners, D3, D4, other Audi marques etc.

This forum however, is about car enthusiasts that come together with a common interest around high spec, flagship examples of the Audi Brand.

Most folks on here, also have an interest in other motoring aspects, and there is no denying the stir EVs are causing.

I had a deposit on an Audi E-Tron - But on paper it just didn't look good when it was released - and I cancelled. I wish it wasn't that way, but it was, and having seen them in the flesh, I'm still underwhelmed sadly.

The Tesla, for me right now, ticks a lot of boxes. I tend to push the envelope sometimes in my car purchases, and share my experiences for all to learn from, and to raise questions and queries in the spirit of sharing info.

I had reservations over the Tesla. My first non-Audi for a long time, first EV, heck, my first factory ordered brand new car - but its proven to be a great experience.

People can choose to come into this section and read about it, or not....

The Daily Town Car - 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Black with Black. Giant ipad screen, huge sunroof, 4 wheel drive, Tow bar, lots of ooomph and made in China, so actually built properly unlike the Californian ones.

The Family Wagon - 2018 Tesla Model X. Black, 7 Seats, Towbar, Homelink, Enhanced Auto pilot with Summon and self park, Heated front seats, CCS Charger upgrade, MCU2 Upgrade, Falconwing Doors, Self opening / closing doors, Netflix, Spotify, toys, Air suspension, alcantara roof + lots of other stuff......

The 17 year old Driver Wagon 2015 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo. Alloys, Power steering, Aircon, Leccy windows, Sat Nav, bluetooth, central locking, cup holders, 59 whole bhp. Million times better than my first car. Well jealous.....

The First 20 Audis:

2001 D2 4.2 QS Silver, 1997 D2 S8 Silver, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2002 D2 S8 Dolphin Grey,
2003 C5 RS6 Blue, 1998 D2 S8 Black, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue, 2003 D3 4.2 Ming Blue,
2005 B7 S4 Blue, 2006 D3 3.0 Tdi Black, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2003 D3 4.2 LPG Crystal Blue,
2000 D2 S8 Silver, 2007 3.0 Tdi Q7 Black, 2009 B8 S4 Black, 1998 D2 S8 Agate Grey,
2006 D3 4.2 Tdi Blue, 2006 D3 S8, 2007 Q7 3.0 Tdi, 2006 C6 S6,

The Second 20 Audis:

2011 A7 Sline, 2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2002 A2 1.4 Tdi Silver, 2006 A8 4.2 Tdi Blue,
2007 4.2 Tdi Q7, 2006 S4 Cab Silver, 2010 RS6 Saloon Black , 2007 TT Roadster,
2010 A8 D4 4.2 Silver, 2006 C6 A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue (again), 2008 Q7 4.2 Black,
2009 C6 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey, 2001 Fully Loaded A2 Tdi, 2006 Avant S6 Black, 2007 VW Caravelle Exec Black (almost an Audi)
2009 TT Roadster Daytona, 2015 Q7 4.2 tdi lava grey, 2002 GmbH D2 demonstrator, 2006 D3 A8 LWB 4.2 Tdi Black

Most Recent Audis:

2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2007 4.2 FSi Q7 ABT Blue, 2016 S5 Coupe Launch model, 2004 S4 B6 Cabriolet, 2016 Q7 Sline White, 2006 Q7 4.2 FSi Black, 2012 Q7 Sline+ 4.2Tdi White, 2008 Blue Audi S8

Everything Else

1989 Subaru Justy, 1986 Vauxhall Cartlton 2.0 GL, 1985 Vauxhall Carlton 2.2 CDi, 1987 Ford Sierra XR4x4, 1983 Vauxhall Senator, 1985 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i, 1997 Polo Saloon, 1997 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi, Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E, 1990 Subaru Justy, 2000 Subaru Impreza, 2000 Subaru Impreza RB5, 1993 Range Rover LSE, 2005 VW Bora, 2003 Skoda Superb, 2003 VW Passat V6 4 Motion, 1996 Peugeot 106, 2000 Range Rover 4.0, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
+1

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 22nd October 2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Hmmm.

Speaking as an EV owner, I just don't find this new battery that exciting.

I think non-EV owners, who still have range anxiety concerns are seeing the big mileage numbers and think it must be the solution to all our problems.

I can find electricity pretty much anywhere in the country to charge my car. 3 pin outlets, commandos, Type 2 outlets, Superchargers. Literally, everywhere.

Where on earth do I find a stockist of these super batteries - and if they are the same size or weight as Teslas - how the hell do you change that in 90 seconds ? - That's some going.

Also, does it deliver current in the same way as the traditional EV batteries. Do you get performance, or does it dribble out power at Nissan leaf type levels of thrill...... if so, no thanks.

There is no doubt that battery tech will continue to improve, but honestly, the battery tech I've already got seems to be working just fine......
I didn't see any mention of how it delivers the current, as an indication of where they are it seems they are looking to power bicycles and TukTuks to start with!

There are plans for service stations to stock the batteries but as with anything new this would take time and need the demand to happen. The benefits over current battery tech are that it's fully (?) recyclable being made from aluminium and also the chemicals used for the electricity production are non-toxic.

I should imagine that a smaller and easier to change battery would be the way forward, making changing easier and quicker but still with a reasonable range. There was also mention that it would be better for larger vehicles as the power to weight is so much better compared with lithium-ion.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 22nd October 2019, 11:58 AM

Default Thoughts and observations

See below for my comments

Quote:
So, update after 2000 miles, and 22 days.

Still loving it. Electricity aside, it truly is a great car.

It turns more heads than my RS6 ever did, and from a far broader range of folks admiring the electric motor silently moving along.

I will, in the interest of balance document any downsides I have found to date:

1) The ordering process. Its nothing like as slick as you might want. You go online, pop it in your basket, and commit to buy it with a deposit. Then, you sit patiently hearing nothing. It was a very frustrating experience, and logistically a nightmare for me (having no car) and other folks who had leases coming to an end etc. They have a lot to learn about the motor industry, but I think they are listening.

Agreed: they're constantly playing catch up with their growth and trying to balance demand with their resources supporting this. But that frustration soon evaporates (is forgotten?) once you get your hands on the product

2) Service centres. They are still few and far between, and they do seem quite overwhelmed still with the surge of Model 3 demand. I am a little nervous that if this piece of tech wonder breaks, only they can fix it, and they are pretty busy. Its a small concern, but a concern nonetheless

You (probably) don't need to be nervous: there is so much less to go wrong than in an ICE car, and if it's major, they're pretty good at fixing it quickly, without the usual rigmarole of the "traditional" dealerships.

3) Spotify. Its great, but keeps crashing. Its a real shame, its the only thing that does seem buggy, and when your tunez crap out, the journey is rubbish. Various workarounds now exist, involving switching to other inputs for a bit etc, but its a distraction for sure.

Weird. Never had that, worth checking.

4) I have a minor rattle at high volume from the passenger side dash area. Its actually a compliment to the (a) quality of the audio kit and (b) the standard of fitment of the rest of the cabin that one single rattle is annoying. I will do some DIY diag on it at some point and try and work out exactly where it is - if a simple push the trim back properly doesn't work, I'm sure Tesla would sort it for free, subject to service centre availability

One for a ranger (mobile service technician) to look at - the sort of thing you could trying booking under the service option your phone app.

5) There are no grab handles. Its an odd omission. There are coat hooks in the rear - But sometimes, especially as a passenger, I like to hang on, and can't in this car....

Lucky you - at least you have coat hooks

That's pretty much it on the downsides.

The upsides, I don't have time to write about right now. There are loads. I find it hard to believe I'd want to ever go back to the hassle and cost of having an ICE car. It really does feel a completely last century device. I've refused point blank to drive the Q7 since the Tesla came along. The turbo lag is verging on dangerous, and it has an annoying rattling noise at the front.......

(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 22nd October 2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerrash View Post
I have to ask though, how is this thread helpful to existing D2 owners?
Whilst I agree with your comment, I suspect it's because you view this forum 'solely' about D2s. In the same context as your comment, you could also ask the question "how is it helpful to D3 owners?". As you don't have one, it's irrelevant. It doesn't make you right/wrong, and it doesn't make Ian right/wrong, it's just another thread.

Quote:
I fully support this comment, as that is what forums, blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and who knows how many other sources of information are concerned. The information is there. Whether you choose to read it or not is your decision, and your decision only. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to read it, especially if it is of no interest to you, but at the same time, it doesn't mean that the information is meaningless/insignificant.

There are numerous other threads that have absolutely nothing to do with A8/S8s, and yet, for want of a better term, they have a significant following/input. Look at the crypto mining thread for example. That has over 1,000 posts in it, and the only connection between it's content and the main focus of this forum is that the people that made those posts have (or had) an A8/S8.

From a personal standpoint, I read every post made on the forum (mainly because I have the time), and in some cases I find it totally irrelevant (to me), but I made the conscious decision to read it. For me, the primary focus of the forum is about the 8, but I don't think it should be 'policed' to the point that that is 'only' what can be talked about.

Just like we all have our own personal preferences as to which A8 we like the best, and which colour combinations and features that we look for/desire in a car, we all have other interests in life, and the forum allows some of them to be expressed.

On the actual thread itself of Ian owning a Tesla, I'm quite surprised by how quickly he has become so passionate about it (bearing in mind his signature collection of Audi ICEs), something I've seen expressed by Tintin over many posts about his. In that respect, I'm happy to read of his exploits with the car. It won't make any difference to me, as I'll never be able to buy one, and to be honest, I just don't "get it" with EV cars, but it's an interesting read.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post

On the actual thread itself of Ian owning a Tesla, I'm quite surprised by how quickly he has become so passionate about it (bearing in mind his signature collection of Audi ICEs)
I agree... I've surprised myself to be honest. I had hopes, not high ones, but it was a gamble that just happened to fit with my tax/income position right now, my commuting requirements etc. It was very much a now or never play. That said, the purchase experience wasn't great.... Quite stressful really with the lack of feedback, very nearly cancelled a couple of times - but - soooooooo glad I stuck it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I just don't "get it" with EV cars, but it's an interesting read.
I totally respect that. I didn't really. You have to immerse yourself in it to see (a) that the negatives aren't really there and (b) that there are lots of positives. I've yet to do a post about the positives, as it will be a long one I assure you.

For now, let me say the power delivery is the power of the RS6, with more low down torque than you'd get from the W12 SWB (which was quite brisk even from standstill to be honest). Its utterly addictive, and in real world, UK speed limit(ish) driving, I've never stepped inside a faster, more agile vehicle......

The Daily Town Car - 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Black with Black. Giant ipad screen, huge sunroof, 4 wheel drive, Tow bar, lots of ooomph and made in China, so actually built properly unlike the Californian ones.

The Family Wagon - 2018 Tesla Model X. Black, 7 Seats, Towbar, Homelink, Enhanced Auto pilot with Summon and self park, Heated front seats, CCS Charger upgrade, MCU2 Upgrade, Falconwing Doors, Self opening / closing doors, Netflix, Spotify, toys, Air suspension, alcantara roof + lots of other stuff......

The 17 year old Driver Wagon 2015 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo. Alloys, Power steering, Aircon, Leccy windows, Sat Nav, bluetooth, central locking, cup holders, 59 whole bhp. Million times better than my first car. Well jealous.....

The First 20 Audis:

2001 D2 4.2 QS Silver, 1997 D2 S8 Silver, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2002 D2 S8 Dolphin Grey,
2003 C5 RS6 Blue, 1998 D2 S8 Black, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue, 2003 D3 4.2 Ming Blue,
2005 B7 S4 Blue, 2006 D3 3.0 Tdi Black, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2003 D3 4.2 LPG Crystal Blue,
2000 D2 S8 Silver, 2007 3.0 Tdi Q7 Black, 2009 B8 S4 Black, 1998 D2 S8 Agate Grey,
2006 D3 4.2 Tdi Blue, 2006 D3 S8, 2007 Q7 3.0 Tdi, 2006 C6 S6,

The Second 20 Audis:

2011 A7 Sline, 2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2002 A2 1.4 Tdi Silver, 2006 A8 4.2 Tdi Blue,
2007 4.2 Tdi Q7, 2006 S4 Cab Silver, 2010 RS6 Saloon Black , 2007 TT Roadster,
2010 A8 D4 4.2 Silver, 2006 C6 A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue (again), 2008 Q7 4.2 Black,
2009 C6 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey, 2001 Fully Loaded A2 Tdi, 2006 Avant S6 Black, 2007 VW Caravelle Exec Black (almost an Audi)
2009 TT Roadster Daytona, 2015 Q7 4.2 tdi lava grey, 2002 GmbH D2 demonstrator, 2006 D3 A8 LWB 4.2 Tdi Black

Most Recent Audis:

2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2007 4.2 FSi Q7 ABT Blue, 2016 S5 Coupe Launch model, 2004 S4 B6 Cabriolet, 2016 Q7 Sline White, 2006 Q7 4.2 FSi Black, 2012 Q7 Sline+ 4.2Tdi White, 2008 Blue Audi S8

Everything Else

1989 Subaru Justy, 1986 Vauxhall Cartlton 2.0 GL, 1985 Vauxhall Carlton 2.2 CDi, 1987 Ford Sierra XR4x4, 1983 Vauxhall Senator, 1985 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i, 1997 Polo Saloon, 1997 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi, Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E, 1990 Subaru Justy, 2000 Subaru Impreza, 2000 Subaru Impreza RB5, 1993 Range Rover LSE, 2005 VW Bora, 2003 Skoda Superb, 2003 VW Passat V6 4 Motion, 1996 Peugeot 106, 2000 Range Rover 4.0, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Old 22nd October 2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I've yet to do a post about the positives, as it will be a long one I assure you.
Looking forward to that. Takes the pressure off me

Old 22nd October 2019, 05:30 PM

Ian, what are the tax advantages - maybe I should change my accountant, but when I asked her, she was clueless!

I run my cars as private cars and pay myself a mileage allowance, rather than as a company car. I could consider a Tesla as a company car, but with the advent of IR35 rule changes next year, I might find myself contracting inside IR35 which would mean making the ltd company dormant or liquidised, so not sure that would be a sensible route right now.

As for charging, I travel around the country, often staying in hotels, but rarely see hotels with operational charging points, and those that do tend to be rather expensive - any tips on this aspect?

Cheers, Steve
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 23rd October 2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
That said, the purchase experience wasn't great.... Quite stressful really with the lack of feedback, very nearly cancelled a couple of times - but - soooooooo glad I stuck it out.
I suspect the Tesla ownership experience is a lot better than the more average end of the EV market. My 3 month wait for a Renault Zoe to be delivered turned into 7, with almost zero contact from them unless I chased them. It spend 3 months out of the first 24 off the road, and by 30 months things had deteriorated so much with both the car and the ownership experience that I handed it back under VT, and bought the A8.

Much of the problem stemmed from the fact that when it went wrong the garages struggle to put it right, and the manufacturers still think in the mindset of "normal" car manufacture, so the software is already out of date when released and doesn't get any further attention. The central control system was built on an Android version that was already 2 revisions out of date by the time my car arrived.

Tesla seem much more able to get it right in this respect, entirely geared towards EV rather than mixed with ICE and with constant software evolution. However, for the average man on the street they're still very much priced out of reach, for the moment at least. For even the entry level model 3, I'm looking at double the cost of the Leon Cupra I currently lease.