A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Everything Else

D4 - Everything Else Holding forum for all D4 banter until membership grows and we'll expand out

Old 26th April 2016, 09:58 PM

Default Returning to the Audi fold...

After having a 2008 W221 S Class for 6 months, I've returned to the Audi fold. My previous vehicles have included a Mark 1 Audi TT convertible, a couple of C6 S6's (one saloon and one avant), a couple of Range Rovers (Full Fat and Sport) and a 996 C4S (and an Alfa 147 to go alongside it for day to day duties).

Although the S Class was a great car, I missed the Audi brand. The sure-footedness of the quattro system, the great build quality of the interiors and the performance.

I had a look at D4 A8's a couple of years ago and they were still out of my budget.

My more recent foray into the market showed that more cars had come onto the market and the older cars were now within budget. I live in Manchester city centre and also work in the city centre too so do minimal mileage. Approximately 5,000 miles a year if that. This led me to consider a petrol option as map wouldn't be a major concern to me. Also, there would be less of a worry about DPF's and EGR's to go wrong.

About a month ago I saw the car at a trader local to me. I went to see it and the trade in value he gave me for the S Class was obviously lower than I expected. Can't knock him though as everyone needs to earn a crust. I decided to sell my car privately and then made him an offer on the A8 as a cash deal which secured me a better price.

Anyway, here are the pics...

It's a 2011 SE Exec 3.0 TFSI. Love the engine however I would have preferred the shove of a turbo rather than the linear power delivery of the supercharger. Had it a week and absolutely love it.

Going forwards, I'm getting a few bits done in gloss black tomorrow. I'm taking a few styling cues from the new S8 Plus. It might look good or it might look a bit iffy. I'll update the thread with new pics tomorrow hopefully.
Old 26th April 2016, 10:35 PM

Welcome back - Audi's will always trump Mercs these days for me - I had a 2015 S class as a courtesy car a few months ago and absolutely hated it.

Also - those photo shots look very much like Manchester, so join the club . Are you going to use Lancaster Audi or Stockport Audi? I'm in the latter camp - though not brilliant, I've found they're better than Lancaster.
Old 26th April 2016, 10:49 PM

Yep Manchester. Even though Manchester Audi is less than 10 minutes way, I use Stockport Audi for servicing. They serviced my old V10 S6 last year. £199 for a minor service plus I had a brake fluid change too. I was very happy with the service. I waited whilst they did it, had unlimited coffee and biscuits. Their free health check came black clear and they complimented me on my choice of Continental winters that I had on.

With the cost of the fixed priced services on cars older than 3 years, it makes sense to stick with Audi for servicing. Any other stuff that needs doing, I either use my mate who has a garage and is a Ferrari Technician at Stratstones during the day or alternatively, I use an indie called Volksmaster. They have two sites on Oldham and Bury. Family run and very good.

Last edited by kungfupanda; 26th April 2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 27th April 2016, 07:49 AM

Welcome back. Nice looking car . What's the spec like
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 27th April 2016, 08:50 AM

Basic of basic SE Exec spec. I don't think it has any options ticked! Still, I'm happy with it.

Will consider giving it a Stage 2 map with smaller supercharger pulley once I'm used to it and when finds will permit.
Old 27th April 2016, 09:21 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Nice motor!

Welcome.

I'm about 15-20 miles north of Manchester. I'll keep an eye out for you next time I'm driving through the city
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 27th April 2016, 05:49 PM

A quick update to the fettling that I've had done to the car. It's a work in progress but I've had the front grille and lower horizontal slats wrapped in gloss black. The windows have also been tinted and the chrome surrounds wrapped in gloss black too. Rear lights have had a very light tint applied. They don't look as dark as they do in real life than they do in the pictures. They didn't have time to do the wing mirrors and lower chrome strips on the doors and rear bumper so more pics will be uploaded tomorrow.

It may make the car a bit marmite, but I like it and it's all reversible.

Ps, the front number plate was refitted after the pictures were taken.
Old 27th April 2016, 06:16 PM

i like it, love the grill, did you do the wrapping
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 27th April 2016, 06:26 PM

After an unsuccessful attempt at tinting the flat rear window of a Range Rover Sport, I decided my wrapping and tinting skills leave a lot to be desired. This was done by the professionals. They've taken their time with it and it shows. Took them from 10:30am this morning until 4:00pm to do the grill, lower grills, chrome window surrounds and rear lights. I'm dropping it back off again tomorrow for them to do the wing mirrors and lower chrome trips on the doors and bumper. I'm not so sure about the chrome strips. We'll see.
Old 27th April 2016, 06:31 PM

Next step will be to remove the A8 and Quattro badge from the rear and refurb the wheels. I think the thin angular spokes will suit a shadow chrome colour.