A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 18th September 2017, 05:22 PM

Default Windscreen wiper/washer

Holly cr*p

Windscreen washer just stopped pumping water, it was just all sudden, no warning nothing it just stopped while driving.
Stopped topped up screenwash and wrrrr srrr aaaand still nothing..

Arrived home unscrewed the driver's side wheel arch lining removed jetwash pump(the bottom one) took the screen out and it was compleeeetely filled up with gunk. So cleaned that up with hot water and old toothbrush. Put everything back in and tried pumping water and water started flowing that strong it almost cracked my windscreen

I wanted to just say if anybody has problem with windscreen or headlight washers to try cleaning the tiny mesh first.

Previous : Chevrolet Blazer 2001 LT 4.3 petrol
Old 19th September 2017, 12:11 AM

you should always take pictures for us numptys.

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 19th September 2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackovicj View Post
Holly cr*p

Windscreen washer just stopped pumping water, it was just all sudden, no warning nothing it just stopped while driving.
Stopped topped up screenwash and wrrrr srrr aaaand still nothing..

Arrived home unscrewed the driver's side wheel arch lining removed jetwash pump(the bottom one) took the screen out and it was compleeeetely filled up with gunk. So cleaned that up with hot water and old toothbrush. Put everything back in and tried pumping water and water started flowing that strong it almost cracked my windscreen

I wanted to just say if anybody has problem with windscreen or headlight washers to try cleaning the tiny mesh first.
+1 on this post, after cleaning the little plastic mesh I have never had cleaner windows!
On a related note, Mr Muscle kitchen de-greaser spray is an absolute revelation regarding keeping the outside of the windscreen clear! Spray on, rub in, rinse off.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 19th September 2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat View Post
+1 on this post, after cleaning the little plastic mesh I have never had cleaner windows!
On a related note, Mr Muscle kitchen de-greaser spray is an absolute revelation regarding keeping the outside of the windscreen clear! Spray on, rub in, rinse off.
MR Muscle he is a strong guy ... I will try it next time.. I poured tequila glass shot of oven cleaner into the windsreen washer tank while ago maybe that loosen all the dirt in the tank and clocked the mesh...
Using household product are more powerfull than screenwash but sometimes i wonder how the stronger substance affect the wiper blades rubber.

Old 19th September 2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
sometimes i wonder how the stronger substance affect the wiper blades rubber.
I agree and so only leave the product on for 30 secs and then make sure I fully rinse and wipe both the windscreen and the wiperblades.

Dettol works as a great water bottle additive, especially if the water and/or bottle are beginning to smell musty.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 19th September 2017, 12:14 PM

Just curious, can you remove the liner without removing the wheel, e.g. wheel on full lock and in lift mode?

Would save a load of bother given I don't have a driveway!
Old 19th September 2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoca View Post
Just curious, can you remove the liner without removing the wheel, e.g. wheel on full lock and in lift mode?

Would save a load of bother given I don't have a driveway!
Yes..thats exactly what i did..full lock, remove 3 bolts and just bend the liner out of the way..

Old 19th September 2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
MR Muscle he is a strong guy ... I will try it next time.. I poured tequila glass shot of oven cleaner into the windsreen washer tank while ago maybe that loosen all the dirt in the tank and clocked the mesh...
Using household product are more powerfull than screenwash but sometimes i wonder how the stronger substance affect the wiper blades rubber.
don't get that stuff on your paint, who knows what it does.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 20th September 2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Yes..thats exactly what i did..full lock, remove 3 bolts and just bend the liner out of the way..
Awesome. Cheers.