A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 1st May 2016, 12:08 PM

Just tested the input and it works perfectly. Very pleased.

All I need now is a half decent bluetooth module to connect to my phone in order to stream MP3's.

I just ordered one of these which seems to be robust.

http://www.fusionentertainment.com/m...ories/ms-bt100

I like this as its designed for Marine applications, is waterproof and runs on 12v DC. Will report back once I receive and install it.

Last edited by A8Pete; 1st May 2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 1st May 2016, 12:49 PM

I have tried various dongly thingies, some good and some not so good.
I have a Bluetooth USB stick that can plug into these DVD players and the remote with it can be used to remotely control the player. Works rather well having tried it with various boxes. Big thing is that I don't have to wire an infra red eye into the car and point it's controller at the eye. It came with a DVD/TV add on player that I bought for the house some years back.
I plan on fitting (when I have enough pennies available) two back rest monitors, each with it's own DVD player. One will output to Aux 1, the other to Aux 2 as well as to each other. Aux Out will be wired to both of them. The ones I am looking at have two inputs and one output as well as the DVD direct to it's own screen.
This means that each RSE and the MMI will be able to see whatever the other screens are showing or three different things.
If my theory is correct

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 1st May 2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8Pete View Post
Just tested the input and it works perfectly. Very pleased.

All I need now is a half decent bluetooth module to connect to my phone in order to stream MP3's.

I just ordered one of these which seems to be robust.

http://www.fusionentertainment.com/m...ories/ms-bt100

I like this as its designed for Marine applications, is waterproof and runs on 12v DC. Will report back once I receive and install it.
I recently installed it and it's top notch

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 1st May 2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
I have a Bluetooth USB stick that can plug into these DVD players and the remote with it can be used to remotely control the player. Works rather well having tried it with various boxes. Big thing is that I don't have to wire an infra red eye into the car and point it's controller at the eye. It came with a DVD/TV add on player that I bought for the house some years back.
I plan on fitting (when I have enough pennies available) two back rest monitors, each with it's own DVD player. One will output to Aux 1, the other to Aux 2 as well as to each other. Aux Out will be wired to both of them. The ones I am looking at have two inputs and one output as well as the DVD direct to it's own screen.
This means that each RSE and the MMI will be able to see whatever the other screens are showing or three different things.
If my theory is correct

Sounds like a great project! Look forward to seeing progress
Old 1st May 2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli18 View Post
I recently installed it and it's top notch
Great to hear. Sounds like a made the right choice!
Old 1st May 2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
If my theory is correct
not exactly, if the dvds are integral to the headrest, that wiring setup wont allow what you want, as the selector is the mmi , ie if you select AV1 - that is what will output to AVout, likewise with AV2, the MMI front screen can see all by selecting each in turn. to output TV to the rear screens the mmi will need to be on TV. You can all see for example the left DVD player but only if you select it.

if you wire the av in and outs to each other ie from the headrest dvds each will be able to select what the other is watching, but you have used up your in and outs so then cant output or input from the tuner. or see it at the front
you could add a y connector to each and send this of to AV1 and 2. then you dont have enough inputs for avout so no tv.

but its not as easy as everyone picking what they want at any time.

read that back it sounds as clear as mud,

best to work out exactly what you need it to do

also dont forget you will need video in motion coded for the mmi to see anything while moving, this extends to AVout also so anything going through the tuner would not work without the vim
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 1st May 2016, 07:45 PM

Understand that, just sorted my own muddle out.
I already "video in motion" set on. Honestly Occifer, I never ever use it.

The ones I am looking at have two outputs and two inputs.

The only "Y" I'll need will be on the Aux Out so that each could select it separately or together.

I understand that Aux Out will only replicate what the MMI is seeing from the TV unit. If the kids want a TV programme then I would have to select it for them on the MMI and then switch the MMI back to whatever I want on it (apart from a TV programme that is). Unless the TV tuner stops outputting when I switch to Radio, CD, AMI, Telephone or Sat Nav. Of course they would not be able to watch different programmes!!!

Proof will be when I glue it all together.

Just like you said, it is all as clear as mud.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)

Last edited by tc4332; 1st May 2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 1st May 2016, 07:52 PM

2 ins and outs give you more options you can link them and get it to the mmi

so you could do it with your wiring , but your right about the tuner unless you have it on they wont be able to see it, you can use the nav of course but you cant listen to music or radio, so you need a couple of wireless headphones. as long as they dont want the tv on you can listen to music at the same time.

what are these units you have found, do you have a link to them?
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 2nd May 2016, 11:45 AM

I cannot find the link I had but it is something like this:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3318085803...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I asked the supplier about inputs and he answered definitely two.
Now I'll have to search through hundreds of emails to find it.

Old 2nd June 2016, 01:17 PM

Hi sorry If I may sound a bit naive but my 2003 a8 does not have the TV installed would I still have the red connector and harness to plug into the analogue tuner box if I was to purchase this and then install the fusion bt-100??

P.s. It's a 4.2 v8 petrol not sure if this makes a difference but just incase.