A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Owners Meets

Owners Meets Any info for any meetings, events, track days

Old 1st May 2016, 07:47 PM

I think we'll be on the M2, then the M1, then A1 then M1 again.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 1st May 2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Stumbled across the following today. Now you know why people here have a hard time explaining where they live!

Ireland is an island to the west of Britain but Northern Ireland is just off the mainland - not the Irish mainland, the British mainland. The capital of Ireland is Dublin. It has a population of a million people, all of whom will be shopping in Newry this afternoon. They travel to Newry because it is in the North, which is not part of Ireland, but still pay in Euros. Under the Irish constitution, the North used to be in Ireland, but a successful 30-year campaign of violence for Irish unity ensured that it is now definitely in the UK. Had the campaign lasted any longer the North might now be in France. Belfast is the capital of Northern Ireland. It has a population of half a million, half of whom own houses in Donegal. Donegal is in the north but not in the North. It is in the South. No, not the south, the South. There are two parliaments in Ireland. The Dublin parliament is called the Dáil, (pronounced "Doyle"), an Irish word meaning a place where banks receive taxpayers' money. The one in Belfast is called Stormont, an Anglo-Saxon word meaning 'placebo', or deliberately ineffective drug. Their respective jurisdictions are defined by the border, an imaginary line on the map to show fuel launderers where to dump their chemical waste and bi-products. Protestants are in favour of the border, which generates millions of pounds in smuggling for Catholics, who are totally opposed to it. Travel between the two states is complicated because Ireland is the only country in the world with two M1 motorways. The one in the North goes west to avoid the south and the one in the South goes north to avoid the price of drink! We have two types of democracy in Ireland. Dublin democracy works by holding a referendum and then allowing the government to judge the result. If the government thinks the result is wrong, the referendum is held again. Twice in recent years the government decided the people's choice was wrong and ordered a new referendum. Belfast democracy works differently. It has a parliament with no opposition, so the government is always right. This system generates envy in many world capitals, especially Dublin. Ireland has three economies - northern, southern and black. Only the black economy is in the black. The other two are in the red. All versions of the IRA claim to be the real IRA but only one of them is the Real IRA. The North's biggest industry is the production of IRAs. Consequently, we now have the Provisional, Continuity and Real IRA. The Real IRA is by far the most popular among young graffiti writers simply because it is the easiest to spell. I trust this clarifies things and has answered many previously unanswered questions for you.
All right, and all wrong - which is why (one of the reasons) I'm looking forward to the tour. It's a mad, mad world - especially in the Emerald Isle (North or South)
Old 1st May 2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
All right, and all wrong - which is why (one of the reasons) I'm looking forward to the tour. It's a mad, mad world - especially in the Emerald Isle (North or South)
Just give that, along with a description of cricket (the ins and outs one) to an American, then sit back and watch their brain implode.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 2nd May 2016, 06:18 AM

Default Currency

......oh, and just to confuse the brain even more, we have Sterling up here in 'the north' but the bank notes are a completely different design depending on which of the 4 main banks you use!

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 2nd May 2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiseuk View Post
......oh, and just to confuse the brain even more, we have Sterling up here in 'the north' but the bank notes are a completely different design depending on which of the 4 main banks you use!
Yeah, I forgot about our fondness for different bank notes In fact, we'll take anything with Sterling printed on it, we're not fussy.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 7th May 2016, 09:39 PM

I have had a VERY STRONG recommendation for a seafood restaurant in Dingle. Out Of The Blue http://www.outoftheblue.ie/

It's from my daughter who was over there for a friends wedding recently and loved it. Was taken there by locals.
She (largely) shares my tastes in food, especially seafood. Noteworthy comments from the web site:
- Meat eaters need not apply: Out Of The Blue is strictly for seafood lovers!
- Everything depends upon the catch of the day and nothing but the best will do. If there’s no fish, the restaurant doesn’t open.

Sadly it's evening only, but does open from 5pm. You do need to book.

Given we are staying in Killarney for 2 nights (Tue and Wed?) and it's about an hours drive from there, is anyone interested in eating there on the Wednesday evening?
I'm not sure what Wednesdays drive will be though - maybe the Ring of Kerry? That would work OK we could just head on to Dingle at the end, being already booked in accommodation is no problem, though as the (very strongly) recommended route is anticlockwise we would return to Killarney anyway before heading to Dingle.
I'm guessing that we will leave Bantry on Tuesday morning, go round the Ring of Beara and head for Killarney to check in.

Last edited by HPsauce; 7th May 2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 13th May 2016, 08:56 PM

Default Rollup, rollup, exclusive souvenir clothing available!

Right then folks, thanks mainly to the excellent design input from Neil and Sean, we're now in a position to announce the very exclusive, very limited edition clothing range for this tour that we're all looking forward to so much.

The range is limited to the following one-off items, so could you please let me know what you'd like for you/your SO (no of items and sizes).

1. Rugby Shirt: £22.50 each. Good quality traditional weight garment (ideal for windy/wet west of Ireland summer evenings ..)
2. Polo Shirt: £15.00 each. High quality Gildan soft-touch wicking fabric - very nice.

The attached images gives you an outline of what these will look like in design terms - so could you please take a quick look, and then PM me with your orders over this weekend. I'll then PM you back with the bank details to send these payments to, and get these ordered on Monday, so that they arrive in plenty of time for the annual meet weekend.

Thanks

Stephen
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shirt designs - 2016 A8 meeting.pdf (5.56 MB, 15 views)
Old 13th May 2016, 09:30 PM

Stephen, no map on the back of the polo shirt?
Old 13th May 2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Stephen, no map on the back of the polo shirt?
I think that the rugby shirt has the full package of "advertising" front and back and then the polo shirts are supposed to be a bit more formal and a bit less "in your face" than the rugby shirts.

All looks great to me - I would rather have my name on the front than a forum nickname in both cases

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 13th May 2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 13th May 2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
All looks great to me - I would rather have my name on the front than a forum nickname in both cases
Agree with both of those points, just need to discuss with SWMBO who doesn't really go for such things.