A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 28th April 2020, 11:11 PM

Default Special tools needed for doing the cam chain tensioner job?

I know that I will need these tools for the timing belt job eccentric pulley pin wrench, crankshaft locking lock pin, cam locking bar, camshaft sprocket puller, camshaft seal installer, camshaft seal extractor, belt tensioner pin. I would like to know if I will need any special tools when replacing the cam chain tensioners? I also will be installing new timing cam chains.
Old 29th April 2020, 08:11 AM

The tensioner has a special tool 3366 to compress it so you can get everything apart. New tensioners should come with this tool holding them together in transit, but its worth buying another one to remove the old tensioners as they are very cheap.

You'll also need a 5Nm torque wrench for the cam cap bolts. They are 5Nm + 90 degrees.

Tip: hit the top of each cam cap bolt with a hammer using the T30 torx tool as a drift before you try and remove them. They aren't tight, but they have so much stiction in the head it is very easy to strip the heads, snap the T30 tool etc. Hitting them lightly just cracks the stiction and then they come out easily
Old 29th April 2020, 12:15 PM

Be careful to mark up the cams and chain positions. If you are going to replace the chains I think you will have to completely remove both cams. I did anyhow. It makes reassembly less stressful.

There is a procedure for counting the number of links in the Bentley manual but I found it a little confusing. I found this way easier and as I say, less stressful because you know it will be as it was when it goes back. Simply lay the old and new chains side by side and replicate the marks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200429-130945_Gallery.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	23194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200429-130415_Gallery.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	23195  
Old 30th April 2020, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the info MikkiJayne and thanks for the tip spannerrash.

Next question, can the tensioners and chains be replaced with the cylinder heads on or do they need to be removed?
Old 1st May 2020, 01:18 AM

Can be done without removing the heads.
Old 1st May 2020, 07:47 AM
Banned

MikkiJayne did a whole video showing the procedure start to finish:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....0&postcount=73
Old 1st May 2020, 09:19 AM

Bear in mind I didn't change the chains then (I usually don't) and so I could do the job with the exhaust cams still in.

Also, I pointed out the stupid gauze filter in that post. I have subsequently learned that the gauze is actually the reason for tensioner failure as it breaks apart, goes through the tensioner and jams the startup pin. I now leave the gauze out, as it is coarser than the oil filter anyway. I'll take my chances with whatever comes through the oil supply, rather than guaranteeing failure when the gauze breaks up.
Old 1st May 2020, 12:56 PM
Banned

How would the process differ if i wanted to change the chain as well?
Old 1st May 2020, 01:52 PM

You have to pull both cams rather than just the inlets.
Old 1st May 2020, 03:02 PM

You really need to decide how far you want to go with this job. I work on my car as a hobby and so quite often do jobs that probably don't need doing and may return very little benefits. The timing chains being possibly one of these jobs. Replacing the chains will make the job a little more complex and time consuming with the additional risk of getting the timing wrong on Re-assembly.

When I did mine I did it as part of a whole load of work that I was doing at the time. I had the front of the car completely off and was doing the timing belt, water pump, oil cooler water leak etc all at the same time. Doing the chains only added a little extra time to my job but may be proportionally more to yours.

When I compared old chains to new I could not see any definitive difference between them. It maybe I changed them for no reason.

I do just simply have a mentality that "if I'm in there anyway" I may as well do it. It's not a cheap way to live.