A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Trims

D3 - Interior Trims Seats, dashboards, plastics, everything inside the cabin

Old 5th September 2012, 08:34 PM

Default Headrests

I was going to install some rear monitors in my headrests but I can't get them out. I've got the 2 rear panels of each seat but the headrests won't raise or lower, I have no idea if there electric or not but I can see they are fixed to a mechanism.

If they are electric they've never worked while I've had the car so I have no idea how they are supposed to raise or lower, if it's the same switch as the seat belt mechanism then this works.

Any clues

Fixes i've resolved myself and with the help of the forum and Vagcom
  • Update MMI to 5570
    Hidden Menu
    Brake Switch Repair and ESP Light
    Reset Parking Brake Calibration
    Removed Speed Limiter
    TV In Motion
    Reset and resolved issue with Cruise Control
    Coming Home Lights
    Lowered 10mm
    MMI Replacement brass gear for silky smooth action
Old 5th September 2012, 10:25 PM

Hi, you know the big long vertical switch to change the angle of the seat, the back support one ? By pushing it up or down you can lower / raise the headrest.
The cabling for tv's you have to pull through the headrests metal tubes, left or right one, doesn't matte, without taking headrest off.
Hope it helps

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 5th September 2012, 10:44 PM

I'll give that a go tomo and see, can't believe I'd miss them thought I'd played with everything by now lol

Ok, so does that mean they have to be done in situe ? , I've done screens before but only after taking them out

• Update MMI to 5570
    Hidden Menu
    Removed Speed Limiter
    TV In Motion
    Coming Home Lights
    Lowered 10mm
Old 6th September 2012, 07:06 AM

if they are not electric they are still held down by 2 clips near the bottom , just use a scew driver to carefully move them outwards.

im in the middle of putting some new screens in myself, if you have the same headrests as mine they are not that easy, the foam is quite thin in the place where you want to fit it, also the prongs are one continuos piece of metal which also has an extremely thin part (where the pins go) which means cutting a hole in the prongs for access and cutting up the cable (i havent got to this stage yet) im still experimenting with making the monitor look right,
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 6th September 2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello View Post
if they are not electric

and cutting up the cable

We'll i'll be -they are electric, keep finding new things and what a nice thing to find a month later

So does that mean though because they are electric they wont come out

I'd considered cutting the cable anyway, was going to dremel an access hole and use RJ45 cables and couplers to route to where needed, i've seen loads of installs where the cables run down the side of the bar - this for me is not even a consideration, if it wont go down the inside then i'll rethink everything.

• Update MMI to 5570
    Hidden Menu
    Removed Speed Limiter
    TV In Motion
    Coming Home Lights
    Lowered 10mm
Old 6th September 2012, 08:50 AM

Do the motors work but the headrests not move?
They can become disconnected and I'm sure there's a procedure somewhere to easily (normally) reconnect the drive.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 6th September 2012, 10:57 AM

Headrest removal

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 6th September 2012, 12:43 PM

Thankyou M-A8

• Update MMI to 5570
    Hidden Menu
    Removed Speed Limiter
    TV In Motion
    Coming Home Lights
    Lowered 10mm
Old 7th September 2012, 09:41 PM

Well these are going to be tricky aren't they.

I've had the headrest out last night I stripped it separated it from the the leather, foam, brace etc, bar looks thick enough or the cable so I don't think that's, what's going to be the issue is the chassis of the screen that needs to reces into the foam is not only about the size of the headrest but pretty deep and I think the only way will be to cut the plastic then the foam.

I almost think the best way unlike all other screens would be to build from the inside out, if screens go in though I doubt the headrests will tilt anymore, not really an issue as there in a good posistion anyway.

Anybody else done there own ?

If it wasn't for the fact that I had the navy leather I'd of gone for it by now, navy I think is quiet rare but I wish I had some spares

• Update MMI to 5570
    Hidden Menu
    Removed Speed Limiter
    TV In Motion
    Coming Home Lights
    Lowered 10mm
Old 7th September 2012, 10:53 PM

im still in the process as you are, i also found it shallow as i said in my last post. I have already made the cut in one of them, before i resort to cutting the headrest, i am going to build up the foam under the standard foam. already given it a try and i think it will work but needs foam to run from just below the top to the top of the screen to prevent sagging
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom