A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 6th May 2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I have a couple of complete HVAC units on the shelf. I could do a thread on them if there is enough interest, cos they are a bit crazy.
I would appreciate that very much if you decide to go ahead MJ
One of these days I have to try to fix the faults on my system

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 7th May 2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
It'll be a pretty slow 'fix things as they break' project rather than a full overhaul.
Hands up who believed this in the first post...

Its got RNS-d, phone prep and TV, but no Bose

Might as well do a full ICE refit while the interior is out then I guess...
Old 7th May 2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Hands up who believed this in the first post...
I did... I believe pretty much anything you say

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 8th May 2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Might as well do a full ICE refit while the interior is out then I guess...
Due to the scruffy paintwork on this, I thought this was only going to be a runaround. Worth saving just because of the colour.

It looks like it's turning out to be a little more.

I predict a respray next

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
1st Place Winner - A8Parts Annual UK Meet 2018
1st Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2018
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2019
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

Previous (went to good homes):
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Old 8th May 2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanker View Post
Due to the scruffy paintwork on this, I thought this was only going to be a runaround. Worth saving just because of the colour.

It looks like it's turning out to be a little more.

I predict a respray next
Gotta have some tunes while running about Plus, it has to be a nice place to sit.

I won't be painting it, but I may give it a bit of a fluff with the DA

Oh, its also going to be the test platform for all the engines and gearboxes I have to rebuild. I'll just swap them in for a few thousand miles to make sure they behave and then either put them in to storage (engines) or sell them on (gearboxes). Its going to get a few specific modifications under the bonnet to make getting the engine and gearbox in and out much faster than normal. I'm shooting for 2-3 hours instead of 4.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 8th May 2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 8th May 2020, 10:43 AM

Since I have removed all the original AV stuff I thought I'd weigh it out of interest - 18Kg including a Bose amp.

Curious to see the weight of what I put back in. This is going to be a mid-budget SQ system, rather than a window-rattler so no huge subs or amps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200507_190048.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	23279  
Old 9th May 2020, 12:21 PM

I found another job which would have been marginally easier with the dash out - Botang's hole. Marginally, since the cretin who previously worked on this one had simply cut out the sound deadening covering up the ECU box inner cover and thrown it away, so in fact it was pretty easy to get to the screws with the dash in.

I had to remove the lid of the ECU box with a crowbar The cretin had siliconed everything shut, and also shattered the bottom of the box at some part and bodged it back together with silicone and bits of cardboard.

This is what the rain tray looked like with the box removed. Clearly it had been messed with multiple times to attempt to stop it leaking. Its a surprise that not once, apparently, in 20 years did it occur to anyone to clean the detritus out of where the rain was collecting.

Bear in mind this is was not found rotting in a field under a tree - this was in daily use until the F125 failed. The D2s I've found in fields have generally been in better condition.

Botang's hole revealing itself with a tiny bit of peeling tape...

Cleaned up a bit. The tape was very dirty underneath and just crumbled away as usual.

A plastic rivet in the hole, covered up with seam sealer. I painted it black later as I don't have any merlin purple paint.

All this original AV harness goes in the bin

I'm just keeping the main body connector for the head unit (switched ignition, illumination, DIN connector, etc), and the CD changer cable for general purpose signalling, as it has 10 wires inside, two of which are shielded. This will get used for a subwoofer level control, possible reverse camera etc.

I might also run a piece of cat5 twisted pair while I'm in there. RCA cables and speaker cables will be run along the original av harness route which carefully avoids as much of the body harness as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	243.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	23281   Click image for larger version

Name:	244.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	23282   Click image for larger version

Name:	245.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	23283   Click image for larger version

Name:	246.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	23284   Click image for larger version

Name:	247.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	23285   Click image for larger version

Name:	248.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	23286   Click image for larger version

Name:	249.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	23287   Click image for larger version

Name:	250.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	23288   Click image for larger version

Name:	251.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	23289   Click image for larger version

Name:	252.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	23290  

Old 9th May 2020, 02:25 PM

I am stunned that someone would do "repairs" like that.

Great photos and descriptions by the way, as always

Johannes
_________
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 9th May 2020, 03:36 PM

Great visuals for where that hole is! I'll definitely have to check for that on mine. Thanks!
1992 Corrado
2001 S8
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Old 9th May 2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
I am stunned that someone would do "repairs" like that.

Great photos and descriptions by the way, as always
I can see it happening if somebody bought a car for £1.5k or less and was just trying to make it last as long as possible with minimum expenditure. My A6 is getting a bit tired and probably not worth more than £500 so everything that does not affect safety will be a cheap bodge just to keep it going and extract the last bit of value. It's done over 240k miles with the dreaded 2.5TDI engine still with original camshafts many of which does not last over 100k and the body has seen better days, pretty much every panel apart from roof have been repainted at least once before I bought it.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 9th May 2020 at 06:19 PM.