A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd December 2017, 05:41 PM

Default A different level control fault

Hi guys. I have had the orange light of despair on on my dash for quite a while now - months anyway. It comes and goes the whole time youre driving and is rarely off for more than a couple of minutes.

When it first appeared I thought that I might have a burst suspension airbag but it seems to keep its height more or less. When I got VCDS I did a scan and got this fault:

00776 - Level Control System Sensor; Left Front (G78)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101100
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 188
Reset counter: 214
Mileage: 0 km
Time Indication: 0

Reading the other level control fault thread in this section, it seems that the orange light of despair is more indicative of the system being unable to maintain the correct height and recently on a couple of journeys the green light has come on as well, but its only flashed on and off a few times. So now I'm starting to worry. I did another scan and got the same fault. I also got another one, but only in one scan. I cant remember off the top of my head what it was and Id have to fire up the other laptop to find out. It was something to do with a valve block.

What is the concensus? I think the extra fault was a random one as it only appeared in one scan (I regularly have to disconnect the battery to reset the auto dimming mirrors - at least 5 times a week - so often have spurious faults logged)

Would the orange light just be because of the faulty level sensor? I need to replace it anyway but its unlikely to be until the new year, I have far too many big expenditures plus christmas to deal with right now.

Am I going to be looking at a hugely expensive compressor repair?

gill