A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 10th June 2018, 11:55 PM

+1
Love these threads too!

What was that anti-hologram polish for the wood trims?
And did you apply it by hand?

I tried polishing up a couple of sections of my trim using Maguire's plastic trim polish and a microfibre towel. Came up much better than when I started, but I couldn't get rid of those holographic swirls.

You might have to send me some

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 11th June 2018, 07:32 AM

Looks good....sooooooo much work. Worth it. It's what I think Roy Castle would have called "dedication" :-)

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 11th June 2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
What was that anti-hologram polish for the wood trims?
And did you apply it by hand?
It was actually a 4-stage process on some of the really bad bits in the centre console, similar to polishing headlights but a slightly lighter touch. I wet-sanded with 3000 then 5000 to get most of the light scratches out, then polished the sanding marks out with Farecla G3 then G10, and finally brought out the full gloss with Koch Chemie M2.01 anti-hologram, all using foam pads in the battery drill.

Some parts have quite deep scratches which won't come out this way, but if they're shiny enough you can't see the scratches once the parts are in the car. The handbrake trim and the one above the rear vents really need re-painting so I pinched them from the other FE for the meet
Old 18th June 2018, 10:33 PM

Some pics of fitting the exhaust. The factory system is made in one piece, and you split it at the rear diff when replacing parts of it, or removing parts for access to other things. In my case, I split it when I fitted the towbar. Slightly unfortunately, the Supersport backbox is designed for the system to be split rather further back than I chose to do it, leaving a bit of an air gap:

Luckily, I still had Vera's scrap exhaust so I could salvage the needed pipework from this

Also somewhat vexing, Supersport didn't account for the factory towbar in their design I cut a large chunk out of the box until it cleared, and then welded a plate back in but forgot to take a pic of the result.

Welded in the pieces I salvaged from Vera's middle box so that the new backbox met up with my middle box so it all fits nicely

I'm very pleased with the sound from it, as a few of you heard at the meet. Nice and rumbly without being too loud. There's a bit of drone at 2000rpm, but the S8 gearing means its rarely in that range on the move, and if it is, just knock it in to 'S' to drop a gear and get up to 3000. It also makes a very subtle grumble on over-run.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	401.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	19551   Click image for larger version

Name:	402.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	19552   Click image for larger version

Name:	403.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	19553   Click image for larger version

Name:	404.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	19554   Click image for larger version

Name:	405.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	19555  
Old 18th June 2018, 11:03 PM

My new 20" wheels really highlighted how tired the rear suspension bushes were getting. There was a shimmy at 40-50mph, and on the twisty bits I could feel the back end squirming about. I wanted to do them before the meet but just ran out of time so did them this weekend instead.

The bushes didn't look that bad, and would still pass an MoT no problem, but they were definitely done for.

The disc splash plates had seen better days too, and with the new wheels they were really obvious and bugged me at the meet! I should have ordered new ones for the weekend but forgot

They came off nicely though

Forgot to loosen the hub bolt while the brake disc was still on. Never mind!

Compressed the spring to get the lower arm out

Lower arm off

The split bushes were pretty manky - the rubber just popped out with a screwdriver! There was only about 1 sq cm left bonded.

The larger bush looked ok, but again hardly any of it was still bonded

The hub bush was even worse

Everything removed

I took the opportunity to replace the toe adjustment bolt since these often seize in to the toe arm, meaning you can't adjust the wheel alignment and have to get creating with a sawzall to change the arms. The bushes in these arms were perfectly fine so I put them back on. Its weird how all three lower bushes at the rear completely disintegrate yet the upper lot hardly wear at all. Plenty of copper grease on the bolts will ensure they don't seize in the future.

New bushes fitted and ready to go back on.

I forgot to take any pics of it going back together, or fitting the bushes, but thats all covered in Big Red's thread so doesn't need repeating here

Since I was going to be able to complete the job at the weekend I sanded down the splash plates and re-painted them rather than waiting a few days for new ones to come. I would just replace them on a customer car since it's cheaper, but I wanted it all finished

While the car was on the lift I also addressed the screech from the front brakes. Despite frantic filing on the Friday morning before the meet while Johannes was patiently waiting to leave, three of four pads were still too tight in the calipers. There's no corrosion under the pad carriers - the pads just don't fit properly
I spent some time on them this time and noted where the pads were tight and filed them down a tiny bit at the time so they were free in the calipers but not rattling about, then greased up all the moving edges. I also lightly sanded the friction surface to get rid of any glazing that might have occurred during the drive round the Peak District and then reassembled everything.

I managed a road test this time and she drives sooo nicely now Totally stable and no shimmy. The brakes actually feel pretty good for the first time since I got the car, and no more screech
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	406.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	19561   Click image for larger version

Name:	407.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	19562   Click image for larger version

Name:	408.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	19563   Click image for larger version

Name:	409.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	19564   Click image for larger version

Name:	410.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	19565   Click image for larger version

Name:	411.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	19566   Click image for larger version

Name:	412.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	19567   Click image for larger version

Name:	413.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	19568   Click image for larger version

Name:	414.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	19569   Click image for larger version

Name:	415.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	19570  

Name:	416.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	19571   Click image for larger version

Name:	417.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	19572   Click image for larger version

Name:	418.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	19573   Click image for larger version

Name:	419.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	19574  

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 18th June 2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 19th June 2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I'm very pleased with the sound from it, as a few of you heard at the meet. Nice and rumbly without being too loud. There's a bit of drone at 2000rpm, but the S8 gearing means its rarely in that range on the move, and if it is, just knock it in to 'S' to drop a gear and get up to 3000. It also makes a very subtle grumble on over-run.
It has a deep rumble in idle. I heard that a few times when we were out on the road, right behind you. Sounded better than any other car, I believe.

Quote:
I managed a road test this time and she drives sooo nicely now Totally stable and no shimmy. The brakes actually feel pretty good for the first time since I got the car, and no more screech

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 19th June 2018, 09:16 AM

Nice work MJ. And again thanks for the photos, they give confidence to a home mechanic like myself.

What sort of torque did you need to remove the hub bolt?

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 19th June 2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I managed a road test this time and she drives sooo nicely now Totally stable and no shimmy.
Is it perfect now? *curious*
Old 19th June 2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
Nice work MJ. And again thanks for the photos, they give confidence to a home mechanic like myself.

What sort of torque did you need to remove the hub bolt?
Enough to start bending a 3-foot breaker bar. That's my tightening torque for them as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinny View Post
Is it perfect now? *curious*
Almost
Old 19th June 2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Enough to start bending a 3-foot breaker bar. That's my tightening torque for them as well
Let's put some numbers on this...

40kg force on the bar, which is 392 Newtons, on a 0.914m bar equates to 358 Nm

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,