A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 30th July 2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
A point of detail that I've been mulling, and isn't covered in the write-up, is routing of the video lead from boot lid to inside the body.

I can see where it would go initially (I've done similar before to solve GPS aerial issues) to get around the boot lid and even down one of the struts.

But which strut is best, what is the entry point into the body and how is it sealed?
Sorry Andrew, but been away all week with my mum and had no internet access. Probably the best photo to look at is in post #2, and is the third photo.

At the bottom of that photo is a blue plastic rod (used for routing the cable), and to the left of it is the black cable. Suffice to say, I took the easy route and just fed the cable from behind the boot cover into the boot, and as such, doesn't have any form of seal. Had I been a bit more patient, I would probably have tried to feed it through the grommet you also see in the photo. Even with that, there would still be the issue of getting the cable into the boot area.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 1st August 2016, 05:01 PM

Thanks Sean, I'm thinking of a couple of (hopefully neater) different ways of doing it, I'll post the outcome in my own thread when I get it done. In summary the options are:

A. Common to both. Run the video lead from behind the inner boot lid cover panel down one of the struts, cable tied to the existing tubes/cables. I've done this before when replacing a failed GPS aerial with a glass-mount one on the rear window (previous S8).
B. Run cable from the drainage channel area into the boot by one of two methods:
1. Feed through an existing grommet by making an additional hole and sealing carefully. My right-side grommet is partly split so needs repairing anyway.
2. Lift off the rubber seal around the boot rim and feed it up one side of the exposed metal ridge and down the other before pushing the seal back on. Cutting a small diagonal channel in the metal might be needed. I'm replacing my seal anyway so it has to come off.

My personal preference at present is option 2 as it keeps everything separate from the existing OEM grommets. The best "crossing point" is probably as high as possible, so on the "front" edge towards whichever side strut is used to route the cable out of the lid.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 1st August 2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Thanks Sean, I'm thinking of a couple of (hopefully neater) different ways of doing it, I'll post the outcome in my own thread when I get it done. In summary the options are:

A. Common to both. Run the video lead from behind the inner boot lid cover panel down one of the struts, cable tied to the existing tubes/cables. I've done this before when replacing a failed GPS aerial with a glass-mount one on the rear window (previous S8).
B. Run cable from the drainage channel area into the boot by one of two methods:
1. Feed through an existing grommet by making an additional hole and sealing carefully. My right-side grommet is partly split so needs repairing anyway.
2. Lift off the rubber seal around the boot rim and feed it up one side of the exposed metal ridge and down the other before pushing the seal back on. Cutting a small diagonal channel in the metal might be needed. I'm replacing my seal anyway so it has to come off.

My personal preference at present is option 2 as it keeps everything separate from the existing OEM grommets. The best "crossing point" is probably as high as possible, so on the "front" edge towards whichever side strut is used to route the cable out of the lid.
From memory when I was doing mine, I had thought of putting it through the grommets, but then decided I didn't have the patience to do it. Since I didn't cut the original cable, I could in theory do it at some stage, as the loose wire does niggle me a bit. I'm not quite OCD enough yet

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 1st August 2016, 09:37 PM

I think I can do it without cutting any cables, though doing so doesn't bother me as I'm happy fitting connectors onto coax/shielded cables. If necessary I'll acquire cable with smaller connectors and/or adapters at the camera and RNS-D ends.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!