A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 15th November 2013, 06:15 PM

Lightbulb Full DRL + Xenon at the same time

Hi
Guys, is it illegal to have DRLs (headlight ones) fully on together with the main beam??
As we know as soon you switch main beam DRLs dims to something like 9% or whatever % it is.

WHY am I asking??, well....
I've got 8000K Xenons (really lovely colour) and when they are on, dimmed DRLs (21W CREE LED) look a bit yellowish, I'm not joking !!!

SO....what I'm thinking is to fit 4 pin relays with a 5A fuse where power is taken from alternator and wiring is done between Xenons and DRLs so when the Xenons are on relay will keep the DRLs on 100%, not dimmed.

You may say crazy, but I say well...there are people like me, and I like headlights absolutely crisp, blues and whites in whatever combination but no room for yellowish colours.

Cheers boys, any opinions are very much appreciated.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 17th November 2013, 07:53 PM

Department for Transport regulations state:

"DRL are necessarily bright to ensure they are visible in the daytime but not so bright that they will dazzle others. However they are too bright for night time use and are not intended to illuminate the road in the dark. If used at night they will cause dazzle and discomfort to others and so drivers should always switch to their position lamps or headlamps at night."

and

"DRL activate automatically when the engine is started and remain on unless the headlamps are switched on. They may however remain off in some low speed and stationary situations. In general all other lights should remain off when the DRL are on but for a limited period some vehicles may be available which automatically activate the rear position lamps at the same time as the DRL.

DRL may be combined with other lamps. For example some manufacturers use the same lamp for both the DRL and position lamp. In these cases the DRL automatically dims to function as a lower intensity position lamp when the headlamps are turned on. DRL placed close to direction indicators may also automatically dim when the direction indicator is active. This is to ensure that the direction indicator is not masked by the light from the DRL."

and finally,

"...retro fitted DRL should be installed such that they activate automatically when the engine starts and switch off when headlamps are turned on. If this is not the case then you must ensure that you manually turn DRL off at night as they will cause dazzle and discomfort to others if used in low ambient lighting conditions."
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 17th November 2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
Department for Transport regulations state:

"DRL are necessarily...........bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla......mfort to others if used in low ambient lighting conditions."
B@ll@cks...BUT cheers mate for clarifying it
Very appreciated

I was so happy on the beginning of your post when they say you SHOULD which to me means f**k it, should is not a must, but in the last part they do say that you must ensure and thats when it broke my heart.

Still thinking about it tho

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 7th February 2014, 02:29 PM
Banned

ive only just noticed that you don't have an S8 bumper its an A8 bumper with an S8 grill ?

is that right ? looks good to be fair I was considering this mod .. what about your rear bumper ?
Old 7th February 2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
ive only just noticed that you don't have an S8 bumper its an A8 bumper with an S8 grill ?

is that right ? looks good to be fair I was considering this mod .. what about your rear bumper ?
Hello mate

Yes you are right, its my original A8 bumper with a brand new S8 grille which I got before Christmas together with other 3 for guys in here.
Not desperate for the S8 bumper until spray job, but thats not guaranteed.

A8s grills are nice and big but the standard ones are just very standard, nice thick chrome frame but rest of it is just a plastic.
This is why I got the S8 grille which brights up the front of the car big time, it shines and it's just lovely.

In the signature it still has the S8 badge on it which was/is a no no, just don't like to advertise the wrong product and that's why I came up with this solution:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7526

This was the only solution to cover the whole gap (only way to look good) but without putting another badge advertising another product which wasn't on the car, such as nice ABT badge which would fit.

There is no difference between standard and S8 bumper other then the cut outs.
I had the cut outs done last month during stage 2 of exhaust upgrade by real professionals so thats why it looks so good. You lose the return around the cut, but if you go for a small gap around quads then you just won't notice it.

You can do the return with fibreglass or plastic pieces and good plastic adhesive and some filler with fibers but respraying will be necessary.
I do have to respray the rear bumper anyway, but not now thanks to very nice cut and small gap.
Big gap will look **** plus I went for 3'' quads not 2.5''.

To do cut outs and just fit new quads without changing the boxes was something like 150-200 I think, but I was changing in stage 2 back boxes anyway so instead of giving my a little discount they did all of it within the price.

Bigger better pictures here:
page 1 stage 1
page 2 stage 2

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7206

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 7th February 2014, 06:03 PM

While it might look frightfully low-brow, you would be better off splitting your new 12v source and putting a zenner diode between the split and each lap, otherwise you will lose the single-side parking lights with indicator and if you leave sidelights on when parked, it will power other stuff up (although your suggestion of a relay would mitigate that.
It would be easier to change the DRL bulbs for ones without the yellow phosphor, they'll probably only last a few months more anyway.
Old 8th February 2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
While it might look frightfully low-brow, you would be better off splitting your new 12v source and putting a zenner diode between the split and each lap, otherwise you will lose the single-side parking lights with indicator and if you leave sidelights on when parked, it will power other stuff up (although your suggestion of a relay would mitigate that.
It would be easier to change the DRL bulbs for ones without the yellow phosphor, they'll probably only last a few months more anyway.
Hello mate.
You know what, changing bulbs to ones with no yellow phosphor it's just the best and easiest option, but I still would like the rear lights to be on while the DRLs are fully on, but I just think it's too much and I should scrap this idea

Thank you for all your input everyone, very much appreciated as always

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10