A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 14th July 2010, 07:00 PM

Default de-catting

thinking of removing my cats. anybody know if there would be any benefits ? any pitfalls ? more or less power ? more or less fuel comsumption ? has anybody else done this ?
there is a local company to me that makes exhausts so they could make a removable section for me to be able to swap my cat for straight pipes. then replace them for mot use.
Old 14th July 2010, 07:39 PM

Not very helpful for you Darren but I had them removed on the BMW (DIESEL) as one needed replacing at £4/500. Made no difference at all to noise, won't affect MOT and has apparently freed up a few more BHP although I can't say if it has. I understand it is different for petrols though.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 15th July 2010, 08:16 AM

I think you'll need your CAT's for MOT to pass emissions test. But if you have parts made you can swap out easily then the CAT’s could be put back on for MOT time.

Don’t forget the CAT’s have a sniffer in them that talks to the ECU don’t know how you’ll get over that bit, it’s got to be doable though. Ben @ AVP would know all about that I’m sure.
Old 15th February 2011, 01:27 PM

Default Decatting

The benefits depends on what you do in terms of the rest of the exhaust...but certainly by removing the cats the exhaust gases will be more free flowing which will mean you will have more power and noise....

The only thing you need to worry about is::::

1. The secondary o2 sensors cos they will throw up engine management codes...but you can get adaptors which will trick these

2. The mot failure....but if you keep the cats then you can always change over when needed...however putting cats back in will probably be quite tricky....

In terms of exhaust options...you can get custom made downpipes....and then join on to existing exhaust or might be better is do what my bro in law did(Amar)....get a quad exhaust put on by MIJ in Walsall...the sound was awesome......