A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 11th December 2016, 02:57 PM

Well that was an ****hole of a job, so time consuming. Hopefully the lives I've saved from being crushed under my rear wheels makes it worthwhile.

Thanks to Ray for the support, and sorry we didn't manage to meet today. Next time for sure. I haven't had a chance to take photos or do a guide, this has really taken some time to install and faff about with. Audi just don't make things easy. And the camera unit didn't quite fit, so I dremelled, and dremelled and dremelled. And then used black silicone to seal it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0890.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	15255   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	15256  

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.

Last edited by Johnmed; 11th December 2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11th December 2016, 07:13 PM

Agree John, shame that timing messed us up, better luck next time. Just glad that you managed it. Camera looks similiar to what I used. I removed the whole handle piece and dremelled that, took quite a lot of dremelling to make the camera output square to the car.
I am now considering running a video cable front to rear to replace the transmit/receive pair. I have a very short delay when engaging reverse for the camera output to appear on the MMI. Not sure if this is the addon units fault or the Tx/Rx pair. I'll try a long video cable outside the car to rule out the Tx/Rx pair. Hope that makes sense.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 11th December 2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Agree John, shame that timing messed us up, better luck next time. Just glad that you managed it. Camera looks similiar to what I used. I removed the whole handle piece and dremelled that, took quite a lot of dremelling to make the camera output square to the car.
I am now considering running a video cable front to rear to replace the transmit/receive pair. I have a very short delay when engaging reverse for the camera output to appear on the MMI. Not sure if this is the addon units fault or the Tx/Rx pair. I'll try a long video cable outside the car to rule out the Tx/Rx pair. Hope that makes sense.
Makes sense Ray. Mine has a slight delay too, I attributed it to the 2G MMI, which isn't exactly snappy.

Edit, see video to illustrate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMLhPFNhNNI

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Last edited by Johnmed; 11th December 2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12th December 2016, 09:34 AM

See what you mean John.
I don't have the reversing sensors graphic on mine, probably need a newer Parking sensor ECU for that. I have a similiar delay changing from whatever is showing on MMI screen (radio, satnav or TV) to the camera output.
I'll have a play when the weather improves, too bloody cold and wet for me.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 12th December 2016, 09:37 AM

I'd really like the graphic overplayed on the video and for the lines to move with the steering wheel inputs, but hey, that would mean OEM install. Sadly that's a bit pricey. Next Audi I have will have that option ticked from factory for sure.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 12th December 2016, 09:59 AM

That graphic is the same I have on my D2 aftermarket install; just built into the camera and much narrower than any '8!
I reckon it's roughly in line with the inner face of the tyres, vaguely helpful nonetheless.
You seem to have got the vertical field of view spot on.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 12th December 2016, 10:22 AM

Cheers HP. Vertically it seems so, horizontally it's a bit skewif. I probably should have mounted it on the near side. Yeah the help from the graphic is limited, as the 8 is probably twice as wide as it!

Oddly I quite like watching the exhaust smoke when reversing.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 12th December 2016, 06:46 PM

Sorry John.
I have failed you. I put mine on the nearside (Left or passenger) and should have told you that because I read somewhere in the camera bumf that came with mine that it was designed for that side.
To be honest at first Gwen did not like it due to the perspective but now she uses it more than the mirrors.
And of course the bloodie parking sensors work most of the time now that the camera is working.

Old 12th December 2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Sorry John.
I have failed you. I put mine on the nearside (Left or passenger) and should have told you that because I read somewhere in the camera bumf that came with mine that it was designed for that side.
To be honest at first Gwen did not like it due to the perspective but now she uses it more than the mirrors.
And of course the bloodie parking sensors work most of the time now that the camera is working.
You've not failed anyone Ray. I had more than an inckling nearside would be more appropriate (I'd read you ideally want it as close as to the centre as possible, and then completely forgot about it and whacked it in on the far side!! It's not an issue for me, it shows me what I can't see out the windows. Used it to great affect today.

You mainly tend to see them on the far side, and maybe that's how my brain was working at the time.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Last edited by Johnmed; 12th December 2016 at 06:57 PM.