A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 27th November 2016, 12:56 PM

Default Reverse camera retrofit.

Hi all. I really ought to install a reverse camera before I run someone over, for some reason the A8, like no other car I've had, feels like it wants to kerb its alloys and have a taste for pedestrian blood.

My car doesn't have TV, and I'd like to install the camera so it comes on automatically via my 2G MMI. Has anyone been down this road before? I'm mechanically minded, but electronics aren't my thing...

If anyone can point me in the direction of what I need to buy and do, (I have VCDS for coding) I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance.

John

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 27th November 2016, 06:09 PM

John,
Mine came with analogue TV but I went the non-OEM route using an X-Carlink.
I have since changed the TV to digital
The system is not ideal but certainly good enough. If we have a meet I can show you what I've done.
I wish that I'd had enough cash to go the OEM way, much better but cost ruled it out. Remember I am only a pensioner.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 27th November 2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
John,
Mine came with analogue TV but I went the non-OEM route using an X-Carlink.
I have since changed the TV to digital
The system is not ideal but certainly good enough. If we have a meet I can show you what I've done.
I wish that I'd had enough cash to go the OEM way, much better but cost ruled it out. Remember I am only a pensioner.
Cheers Ray. I toyed with the idea of TV install, but as much as I'd like it (and with OEM DAB I'd likely have the antennas) I doubt I'd use it and the cost is well, prohibitive!

Do you happen to know if something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222160971736

Would plug and play, without the TV bit being installed?

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 27th November 2016, 06:45 PM

Never seen this one before but looks as though it could do the job.
The customer reviews he is showing though in German are the usual ebay type, such as "fast delivery" "super kit" "it works"
It looks like it goes in series with the feed to the MMI screen controller (seems to have a plug and socket like the MMI controller) and has the video input from the camera.
You will have to run the video cable from the camera in the rear to this box. You will also need to run a "hot when in reverse" to it. I picked up from the reverse light feed in the rear left wing for this.
For the video feed I fitted a Video Transmitter to the camera output and a reeiver to the input of my X-Carlink( this is similiar to what you are looking at). The camera and transmitter were also supplied from the reverse light feed.
This meant that I only ran one wire from rear to front.
Hope that makes sense.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 27th November 2016, 06:47 PM

When no factory TV or reverse cam was fitted, the video-in was not populated on the head unit, so the MMI head unit would need exchanging or heavily modifying (some actually did this!)

The green box on the ebay link sits between the MMI head unit and the monitor and will intercept the signal and substitute the video from that phono plug. That looks a good bet.

I did RVC retrofit and it cost me £400 in the end - Would not have bothered had I known - was banking on £200ish but all the shortcuts were no good.
Old 27th November 2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Never seen this one before but looks as though it could do the job.
The customer reviews he is showing though in German are the usual ebay type, such as "fast delivery" "super kit" "it works"
It looks like it goes in series with the feed to the MMI screen controller (seems to have a plug and socket like the MMI controller) and has the video input from the camera.
You will have to run the video cable from the camera in the rear to this box. You will also need to run a "hot when in reverse" to it. I picked up from the reverse light feed in the rear left wing for this.
For the video feed I fitted a Video Transmitter to the camera output and a reeiver to the input of my X-Carlink( this is similiar to what you are looking at). The camera and transmitter were also supplied from the reverse light feed.
Hope that makes sense.
Makes sense Ray. That was my thinking too, a nice little project for me...

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 27th November 2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Hope that makes sense.
VERY similar in concept to what I did for my recent D2 reversing camera install, except there is no auto-switch capability there so I have to push a button on the RNS-D AFTER engaging reverse (which powers everything up) in order to switch to video (TV) input.
(RNS-D "knows" whether or not a TV input is present but can't auto-switch to it as there was never any logic for a reversing camera)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 27th November 2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 27th November 2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
When no factory TV or reverse cam was fitted, the video-in was not populated on the head unit, so the MMI head unit would need exchanging or heavily modifying (some actually did this!)

The green box on the ebay link sits between the MMI head unit and the monitor and will intercept the signal and substitute the video from that phono plug. That looks a good bet.

I did RVC retrofit and it cost me £400 in the end - Would not have bothered had I known - was banking on £200ish but all the shortcuts were no good.
I hear what you're saying Snap. This install will cost ~£130, and take a fair bit of effort, but won't break the bank. If it was £3-400 I wouldn't bother either TBH

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 27th November 2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
VERY similar in concept to what I did for my recent D2 reversing camera install, except there is no auto-switch capability there so I have to push a button on the RNS-D AFTER engaging reverse (which powers everything up) in order to switch to video (TV) input.
(RNS-D "knows" whether or not a TV input is present but can't auto-switch to it as there was never any logic for a reversing camera)
I remember reading about your install HP. I think I'll probably have a go. Can't be any more difficult than the towbar install was........ Famous last words.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 28th November 2016, 08:29 PM

Bits ordered. Just need to figure out how to install the thing and find some time!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56