A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 15th August 2014, 09:18 PM

Default Why do I miss the D2 so much?

Its been in the recent weeks that I just keep looking on eBay/ Autotrader at D2s. I just really miss mine and have the itch for another one.

My D3 is great, I love the equipment especially the MMI and the 4.2 v8 is a very good lump. It just does not look as good as the D2 and I really miss the D2 seats and perhaps the old school element it has.

Its odd but the more modern car just does not do it for me as much as the D2. I liked my UR S6 but loved the old 100 more, just seeing a FL in the right colour and wheels gets me reaching for the wallet.

Perhaps I just need a D2 in the garage to love and drive at the weekends, it really was a high point for Audi and dare I say it.......

......the best car Audi has ever made.

Last edited by Sir WIll; 15th August 2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 15th August 2014, 09:38 PM

.................................................. ..........................
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th August 2014, 10:01 PM

D2 is the best car ever made by Audi
Old 15th August 2014, 10:16 PM

Edited the last line of my post
Old 15th August 2014, 11:30 PM

The d2 sport seats are still absolutely THE best car seats I've ever sat in even after 150k

I know.. I know..

Old 16th August 2014, 06:04 AM

It's apt you should post this last night, just as I got home after spending a few hours giving my D2 some care and attention. It's a lovely looking car, the shape from all angles (especially the rear) is epic, and it has some character that the D3 will never have.

I, like you, love all the tech of the D3 now, but the D2 will always be my favourite. As for the seats, enough said, they're the ultimate in a car. I've done 200+ miles journeys in the D2 and got out and felt like I've sat and watched the evening news. The same length journey in the A4 last week, I got out and felt like I'd watched Saving Private Ryan, sat on a stool.

I suppose owning her 9 years is a big part of the attraction but when you've had a relationship that long and she's still very appealing, it's very difficult to move on. I may have to seek counselling

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 16th August 2014, 06:16 PM

Why do you miss the D2 so much? Well not to state the obvious, it's because they're fantastic!

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 16th August 2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir WIll View Post
Its been in the recent weeks that I just keep looking on eBay/ Autotrader at D2s. I just really miss mine and have the itch for another one.

My D3 is great, I love the equipment especially the MMI and the 4.2 v8 is a very good lump. It just does not look as good as the D2 and I really miss the D2 seats and perhaps the old school element it has.

Its odd but the more modern car just does not do it for me as much as the D2. I liked my UR S6 but loved the old 100 more, just seeing a FL in the right colour and wheels gets me reaching for the wallet.

Perhaps I just need a D2 in the garage to love and drive at the weekends, it really was a high point for Audi and dare I say it.......
......the best car Audi has ever made.

Guys,
I have 2 100s, a boring 1.8, and a facelift 2.3 quattro variant.
The '8 is a wonderful car, but, for build quality the 100 knocks spots off it, the 100 is almost as quiet, and things are screwed and bolted together, not clipped and stuck!

It's true that the '8 is a tremendous car, and I cannot see me ever getting shut of mine, but neither will the 2.3 quattro go!!!

Summation is that the best car Audi has ever made might be the D2, BUT the best built is the C3 100!!! IMHO!
Best regards to all,
Steve
Old 17th August 2014, 12:38 PM

I never owned D2, but I'm keep looking at them on Autotrader every month.
My love to 8s started with seeing a D2 in some gangster movie ages ago.
After annual meet I love them even more.
Would love to wake up every morning and seeing a D2 and D3 parked next to each other

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 17th August 2014, 01:23 PM

Used to have that.. Was great to jump back into the D2 now and again for a blast.

I know.. I know..