A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 7th April 2017, 09:39 AM

Default Recommendations for garage to change bushes

Hi all

It's time to get the bushes sorted for the S8 - they are all pretty worn and I'm getting a nasty shudder when braking from 70mph+.

Can anyone recommend a reputable garage in the Herts/Bucks/Middx area for a job this big? I'm looking for someone who knows the cars well enough to have done this job 100 times over.

Many thanks

Mossy

Old 7th April 2017, 11:59 AM

MRC are in Banbury just outside the edge of Bucks, can't get much more reputable than them. And they charge less per hour than Audi dealers.
Honestly I do not own any shares in the company

They did my entire suspension, and front subframe.

Last edited by Goran; 7th April 2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 7th April 2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
MRC are in Banbury just outside the edge of Bucks, can't get much more reputable than them. And they charge less per hour than Audi dealers.
Honestly I do not own any shares in the company

They did my entire suspension, and front subframe.
Goran - have recent experiences been OK? I'm aware of someone who has racked up significant bills with them for maintenance where it's transpired some of the work doesn't appear to have been done....suggestion was that the tuning side is all good, but the service side has become somewhat slapdash. No personal experience here, but posting for balance.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 7th April 2017, 05:17 PM

My car is currently at VAGTech in Milton Keynes. It got there on Wednesday and they've already really impressed me.

Their tech is ex-Audi and is not only a really nice guy but is also really meticulous. I told him there was a little broken clip somewhere in the engine bay while we were at the front of the car and he immediately pointed at a clip in the back and said 'yeah, that one'. I couldn't believe he spotted something so small and even remembered it.

Their hourly rate is half what Audi charge.

2008 Audi S8
Old 8th April 2017, 08:53 AM

These guys are supposed to be good, although I havent used them personally but I think Marcin on here has many times -
http://www.audivwsc.co.uk/

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 8th April 2017, 08:58 AM

Default Which ines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyboy1978 View Post
Hi all

It's time to get the bushes sorted for the S8 - they are all pretty worn and I'm getting a nasty shudder when braking from 70mph+.

Can anyone recommend a reputable garage in the Herts/Bucks/Middx area for a job this big? I'm looking for someone who knows the cars well enough to have done this job 100 times over.

Many thanks

Mossy
Hello, which bushes are you having replaced? Because ive got the same problem....
Old 10th April 2017, 04:58 PM

All of them I suspect!!

Adrian - thanks - that's actually very close to me so ill give them a call.

Thanks chaps

Old 11th April 2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Goran - have recent experiences been OK? I'm aware of someone who has racked up significant bills with them for maintenance where it's transpired some of the work doesn't appear to have been done....suggestion was that the tuning side is all good, but the service side has become somewhat slapdash. No personal experience here, but posting for balance.
I haven't been to them this year, but all the work they have done on my car has been superb. Doug (one of the co-owners?) is excellent on the mechanical side of things, I think he is still there? I think he did a lot of the work on my car himself. They have worked on both the S8's I have owned and have always been honest and helpful.

I have been planning to go to them again soon to get a new fuel pump fitted preventatively.

There is also Unit 20, near Liverpool, they are top rated in the country too. Work a lot on RS6's. I have used Unit 20 too for some engine work on my previous S8, also superb and friendly.

Basically both of these companies, MRC and Unit 20, that do complex stuff like gearbox conversions (auto to manual etc), RS6 DRC to normal shocks conversions, that no other place can touch or knows how to do must be the best.

Last edited by Goran; 11th April 2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11th April 2017, 11:19 AM

Doing a suspension refresh isn't terribly tricky - it's as much about choosing the appropriate quality of parts and finding someone methodical to do it, and to get a proper wheel alignment done afterwards to get the maximum benefit.

I've recommended David before here:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12643

He's South of London but knows the cars well and he's a member of the forum.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 5th May 2017, 09:11 AM

Many thanks everyone. Adrian - I spoke to davd this morning. And got a really good feeling about his knowledge and approach so I'm booking in with him for a few weeks' time. Thanks for the recommendation.