A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 3rd July 2015, 07:19 PM

Default Tyre choice and locking wheel nuts

My 4.2 Q Sport came with "good" tyres...... in that they have plenty of tread.....

It does make odd noises though and I wondered if I might have a wheelbearing or two on the way out (but impossible to tell which two!)

Then I read this
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Triangle/TR968_2.htm
that'll be it then! Haven't driven in the wet yet.......

The other issue is that they are 245/40 18 when they out really to be 245/45 (though the spare , which is a Bridgestone Potenza is also 40 section). Is a common change? Obviously it will shorten the gearing a little.

Any recommendations for good value tyres that work on an A8 gratefully received!

Of course, before I can do anything about this I have another problem to solve. It has locking wheel nuts. I have the key. But while I was just able to crack off the two fronts, which were done up to about the right torque, the rears.... are done up with a rattler gun or by a big man in a bad mood. I did manage to shift the ordinary bolts with a big breaker bar and some cussing, but the lockers..... not at prayer The key is somewhat chewed and prefers to just disengage.

Seems to be an OE Audi one - can new ones be bought?

Cheers

Nick
Old 3rd July 2015, 08:00 PM

Locking wheel nut keys are easy enough to get, our sponsors will have loads for a start!

As for decent tyres, if you want to start collecting part-worn Bridgestones of the correct size I have a couple for sale: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9757

What area are you in?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 3rd July 2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:14 PM

Locking nuts are uniqueish to your car, and you need your VIN etc for a dealer to order you new ones, or there are other options

http://www.lockingwheelnutremover.co...t-remover.html

http://www.jamesandtracy.co.uk/howto...ut_removal.htm

or your local tyre fitter may be able to help in return for some beer vouchers

good luck

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 3rd July 2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:18 PM

Are you sure? I thought all D2's had the same 17-point (or whatever the number is) star key? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A8-D2...-/171388308518
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:23 PM

not sure specifically about D2, but when I lost mine from a leased car a few years back (a VAG Group vehicle) that's what I had to do, I believe they have a slightly different pattern, guess it makes sense really, if they all fitted the same model there would be little point in having locking nuts

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 4th July 2015, 09:31 AM

In Somerset, about 15 miles east of M5 J25. Nowhere near HS2...... Quite interested but I'd need 2, preferrably 3 more.

Wheel nut key is the "pastry cutter" type rather than spline and has a regular pattern which means it engages in multiple positions. There are at least 5 variations of this design as I have friends in the trade who have a small collection (4), none of which fit. Will try the dealer next - after 12 years of C4 ownership they are familiar with my peculiarities (and hide if they see me coming!). I only want undo the damn things so I can throw them far, far away!

Nick
Old 5th July 2015, 12:54 PM

Nokian zLine. Just bought 4 for my D2. Good reviews. Great in the wet apparently. Shop around. Anywhere between 110 and 128 a tyre. Depends who has them in stock.
Old 5th July 2015, 08:51 PM

Thanks

Had another crack at undoing the locking bolts today. On a suggestion from a man in the trade I parked the car in the garage doorway and placed a scissor jack between the wall and breaker bar head, with a timber brace between wheel and wall on the far side to improve rigidity.

Failed. Even with considerable pressure applied, the bolt is so damn tight the key just climbs out of the groove. The key is now well chewed.

It might be worth another go with a fresh key as this one was already quite poorly. Don't know what else to try - the bolt is SO tight.........

Did briefly try drilling, but the bolt itself is hard. Very hard. Killed a new Presti Ti coated 3mm drill having made barely more than a centre pop mark

Could try welding a nut on the bolt head but this will be a bit of a mission as the bolt head is well down inside the wheel. Definitely a last resort move. Might try driving a short distance with the other 4 bolts slightly loosened....

Bloody tyre fitters.....

Nick
Old 7th July 2015, 10:59 AM

Nick, i take it you don't have a windy hammer or electric impact gun? might be worth taking it down the road with you foot on the brake and getting it smoking hot. Local tyre fitters might windy hammer it off for you.

Keys do vary, even the genuine type but can be bought through ebay if A8Parts don't have the correct type. click me

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 7th July 2015, 02:09 PM

if you resort to drilling it out, you will need to use cobalt steel drill bits. they arent cheap, but will get the job done.

start with a small pilot hole, then enlarge slowly.