A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 19th September 2017, 08:58 AM

Default Power up an instrument cluster

Hello Everyone!

First of all I am new to this forum, so I would like to thank you for reading this at the first place.

I am a car enthusiast I collect Instruemnt clusters and make them work off of my computer. I have managed to get my hands on a "2006 AUDI A8 D3 4E 3.0 TDI 4E0920950P)" instrument cluster with the intention to make this work. I have experience with CAN bus, K and LIN bus communications as I have done many of these in the last couple years.

However I am not a wizard or something like that, so without any information I can't get it to work.

I would like to ask You to help me out with some wiring diagrams and maybe CAN codes if any of You (or somebody You know) has the knowledge.

Thank You for reading my first Topic here at A8 parts.

Zoltan K.
Old 19th September 2017, 10:02 AM

A warm welcome from me

I've had an instrument cluster on the test bench. It can be communicated with just the CAN gateway from the OBD port for diagnostic work but it's not lit up.

If you want the cluster to be fully working, lit up, dials moving etc.. You need the Entry and start authorisation control unit, working keys, steering column, etc, etc.. Ideally all from the same car otherwise component protection will kick in and there will be limited function from the cluster. I've haven't done that as having a working cluster wasn't my goal.

I've tested at few control modules on the test bench, analysed the CAN networks, and flashed new software to them. Occasional bricking modules in the process!

Current flow can be found here, document 2
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9347
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hR2XsQp.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	17057   Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	17058  

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,

Last edited by mattylondon; 19th September 2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 19th September 2017, 11:36 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post

I've tested at few control modules on the test bench, analysed the CAN networks, and flashed new software to them. Occasional bricking modules in the process!

Current flow can be found here, document 2
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9347
So if I get you right, I should do some "minor" changes to the cluster and drive everything directly from a new microcontroller.

As getting all these modules from the same car is not option and my goal is to get the cluster dance like I want it to.

I might be able to get the display do some custom stuff as well.
Old 19th September 2017, 12:58 PM

I would certainly say you need the 'Entry and start authorisation control unit' connected. This module broadcasts the 'wake up' over CAN. But as you don't have access to the donor car you'll be using a different used unit which will force the cluster to go into component protection - i.e. limited function and a red screen. See the picture. CP can be removed by the main dealer. I was doing a bit of research on extracting the binary from modules then editing them with the aim of doing CP removal at home. Although it's on the back burner as I've more important jobs as home.

There are easier VW clusters to hack and make them dance as you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8992d1291920814-d3-instrument-cluster-faulty-repairable-photo-1.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	17059  

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,