A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 12th December 2017, 07:02 PM

Happens to my D3, each time it’s cold enough. First time I thought I’d hit another car I was crawling around to exit a parking space. I’d be really interested to know if it occurs with winter tyres....

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 12th December 2017, 07:12 PM

Be interesting to know how many experiencing this have fitted spacers or otherwise altered the cars geometry with wider wheels or different offset
Old 12th December 2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Be interesting to know how many experiencing this have fitted spacers or otherwise altered the cars geometry with wider wheels or different offset
Indeed. Good thought.

I don’t have a D2, or spacers, but it isn’t limited to D2s that’s for sure and I do have D4 wheels with slightly different offset.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 12th December 2017, 07:27 PM

My D2 did it, my D3 did it, my D4 does it - all on standard wheels, either summer or winter tyres. My S4 does, all of my S4's have! Sometimes worse than others, never really correlated it though.

The diff locking makes some sense though, I could be talking twaddle but I guess that you normally want the diffs to lock when both wheels have lost traction - but that when they do lock then if you still have some traction you get the judder. So on ice, mud etc no issue, but a bit of slip means you feel the judder.

In that scenario the perfect storm could be cold weather, tyre wear, wheels at lock (camber), wet surface, shiny car park surface - or any combination of the above???

edited to add, I don't see it as a fault, just a quattro characteristic
Old 12th December 2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
My D2 did it, my D3 did it, my D4 does it - all on standard wheels, either summer or winter tyres. My S4 does, all of my S4's have! Sometimes worse than others, never really correlated it though.

The diff locking makes some sense though, I could be talking twaddle but I guess that you normally want the diffs to lock when both wheels have lost traction - but that when they do lock then if you still have some traction you get the judder. So on ice, mud etc no issue, but a bit of slip means you feel the judder.

In that scenario the perfect storm could be cold weather, tyre wear, wheels at lock (camber), wet surface, shiny car park surface - or any combination of the above???

Well that blows my theory out of the water. Thanks Paul.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 12th December 2017, 08:42 PM

Ha no problem. If you want to read the debate for days, just google "quattro judder", but I've had a fair few Audi's over the years and I don't lose any sleep over it

To the OP's question, if all the arms and bushes are new and the tracking is right, personally I'd just run it and see how it goes. That said, if you have had the car a while and it's never done it before, then *maybe* it warrants further investigation
Old 13th December 2017, 06:25 AM

Just noticed this over the past few days where I'm trying to drive the car on slippery surfaces (work car park is a sheet of packed ice at the mo)
The tight turn on the way in gives me that sensation of the wheels bouncing/hopping as I drive round the corner.
I've put it down to the diff not allowing the outer wheel in a turn to move fast enough and it's slipping on the slick surface.
I would suspect that a wet smooth concrete surface would allow the same effect?

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 13th December 2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
just google "quattro judder"
I've heard it referred to as "Quattro lock" too.
It's pretty common.
Mine did it particularly badly for the first couple of years after front outer CV replacement.
Mostly on a particular corner with a reversing curve and an uphill camber change (double compound curve). I don't live near that road anymore, so I'm not sure if it still does it (probably)!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 13th December 2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Quattro isn't true 4x4. It'll only be the centre diff that can lock as you don't have a proper diff on the front and as far as I'm aware the rear hasn't got LSD. EDL is controlled by the brakes? so it's not really a locking diff as such but torsional in the centre to allow power to the front or rear depending on slip, brakes then apply to slipping wheels separately like ABS to allow wheels with grip to grip. If you had real diff lock on both axles, on full lock on tarmac something would go bang big time.
MJ will know the technicalities of it but that's how I understand it.
Alvis Stalwarts with (true) 6x6 had bevel boxes with huge bronze gears inside, The centre no-spin differential allowed a certain amount of slip between the two sets of wheels on each side of the vehicle on hard surfaces, but there was no allowance for rotational speed differences between front and rear. If they are driven on a hard surface for long periods then you have to jack them up and allow the wheels to spin as the suffer with windup, If you don't than BANG! and is why on the hubs they painted a line so you can see if one wheel is out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stolly.png
Views:	220
Size:	5.03 MB
ID:	17626  

Bright yellow bus o love.

Last edited by Dezzy; 13th December 2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 13th December 2017, 10:56 AM

That hopping happened to me yesterday in a Multistory car park.
First time I had noticed it. They were very tight corners, with low walls on the drivers side.
Only happened on the way up. it did not happen on the way down
Glad I am not the only one experiencing this as it seems to be a Quattro fault, if others are experiencing this
Sony rear entertainment package.
Bose sound system.
Audi Navigation Plus.
20 inch Final Edition alloys
Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble :
1997 A8 Quattro Sport - Now sold when S8 FE purchased