A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 15th November 2011, 09:39 AM

Default 20' S8 Alloys !!!!!

Hi guys,

First post of many, so go easy please !!!!! LOL

Just purchased my first 2002 Audi S8 (D2), and before I do anything I need to change the rims as I'm not a fan of the original wheels. I really want a set of 20" Avus alloys but obviously genuine rims are out of the question with regards cost, and I was never that taken on by buying second hand wheels (due to buckles etc ), so would very much appreciate any opinions and / or help anyone could give.

* Obviously second hand genuine rims and get them refurb is one way to go. Other that that its the replica road................ So a couple of question !!!!

!. Have made a few calls regarding replica's in 20" and unless I'm getting it wrong the only replica's I can get are 8x20". Anyone know where to get 8.5" or 9" replica's ? And if so where is the best place to buy ?

2. Would you be happy with the 8" wide rims with 245 tyres and spacers or not ? If so what offset of wheel would I need and what size of spacer ?

3. Has anyone on here any experience of replica's ? Are they polished like the original alloy or just painted ? Do they drive well and are they strong enough not to be giving me hassle all the time. Just curious on peoples experiences !!!!

4. Just want to make sure I have this right incase of buying originals.... The standard wheel was 8.5" with 255 tyres all round, and the D3 car was 9" wide with 275 tyres all round. But both these wheels fit the D2 without rubbing ? Or am I completely wrong, is front and rear both different widths ?

5. If you were going genuine would you go 8.5" or 9" and why ?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to get asset of these quickly and don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Will post a few pictures up any of these days after I get her cleaned !!!!

Oh and anyone with any for sale please feel free to post here........

Thanks in advice guys !

Ricky !

Last edited by Ricky22buk; 15th November 2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 15th November 2011, 12:19 PM

Ok where to start? Firstly piccies, we like piccies.

1. Don't know where you'd buy replica's apart from the obvious, flebay.
2. 245 on a 20 seems a bit narrow, 245 was the standard size for an 18" wheel.
3. I'm currently running 18" RS4 style replicas and have no issues with them now i have the right size tyre. I have however had cracks on the inside edge of the wheels from potholes and had them repaired, with no issues regarding welding.
4. As far as i'm aware D2, D3 makes no difference.
5. My reasons will differ to others but price would be the driving factor for me.

I watched a set of 4 20" RS6 alloys all listed separately go for under £100 with one of them needing a repair because of cracked inside edge, easy repair. I should have had them really but i thought it was a con all being listed separately but there you go.
Old 23rd November 2011, 10:26 PM

Thx for the reply Dezzy !

I actually wondered why I didn't get more opinions, but I guess I have now found out why. There has never been a 20" replica made.

So I guess its down to either a genuine 8.5" or 9" rim. So which would you choose and why is the question ?

Also .....

Having seen different wheels for sale I have noticed a couple of different numbers, and was curious if anyone could tell me what the difference is before I commit to a set ?

One is advertised as 4E0 601 025 AF33 and the other is 4D0 601 025 AE.

Can I ask what is different with the 'E' and the 'D' in the part number ? Also whats the score with the different letters after the 025 ?

Cheers !

Ricky !
Old 24th November 2011, 12:41 AM

4d0 601 025 ae = d2.
4e0 601 025 af33 = d3.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.

Last edited by Nollywood; 24th November 2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 24th November 2011, 04:44 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply mate.......

Cheers !
Old 24th November 2011, 12:57 PM

Pretty sure I spotted a set on AudiSRS forum in the past few days with a fresh refurb for £900 which doesn't sound bad....
Old 24th November 2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Pretty sure I spotted a set on AudiSRS forum in the past few days with a fresh refurb for £900 which doesn't sound bad....
I saw them too; maybe about a week ago? Worth having a look on there.

Yeah baby!!

2002 Aqua Blue S8 with Milltek - Now sold

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels
Old 25th November 2011, 04:37 AM

Thx guys !

Had already spotted them, and had asked where they still for sale. No reply as of yet ! Keeping the eyes peeled on a8partsforum, tyresmoke and audisrs. If you know of any other well visited / used forums please feel free to share.

Ricky !
Old 27th November 2011, 04:42 AM

The member in question has got back to me, and that set was sold guys !!!!!
Old 2nd April 2012, 10:39 PM

I'm selling some here in the USA, but I don't think it will help you. They are not OEM either.

Just for reference, these are 20" x 10" rims, bought and used them for years on my 2004 A8L, but they fit fine, but are pretty close to the suspension knuckles on the front.

The tires are 275/30 20's.
Pilot Sport A/S Plus, and have been great, and should be good for another season of summer use.

Replaced them with a set of Continental DW's, in 255/30 20's on 20x8.5 BremmerKraft wheels in a PVD finish. (Dark chrome, mesh style.)

I do like how these 10" wide rims totally fill up the wheel wells, and stick out slightly. I never had the tire or rim hit the fender or quarter panels, but I suppose if the suspension was compressed fully, it might happen.

Last edited by adjuster; 2nd April 2012 at 10:42 PM.