A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Cars

For Sale and Wanted - Cars For the sale of whole cars, Audi or not, working or not. No cross links to other peoples cars please - Use Spotted online instead

Old 19th September 2017, 10:20 PM

Default 1997 D2 A8 4.2 quattro sport - £750 - MOT just failed

Hi,

So one year after buying this car from a fellow member of this forum and spending an extremely pleasant and stress free year wafting in it up and down the M3 for work, the time has come to sell, for two reasons.

First, I'm now working in London and on the train every day and it's just not getting any use.
Second, it just failed the MOT so coupled with the above it's time to let someone else take over.

I've done 10k lovely miles in 'George', as my daughter decided to christen the car (she had a schoolfriend called George and decided this car was definitely a boy). Whatever.

Now with 185k on the clock.
Ming Blue.

Good points:
- 5 speed gearbox with excellent tiptronic function.
- Gearbox leaks that were identified after my purchase were immediately fixed - NSF diff seal and rear seal. Whilst in there I had the gearbox oil and filter changed as well, along with a full service and various other cosmetic small items fixed and generally the car had a thorough going over.
- No engine oil leaks (the sump gasket was found to be leaking after my purchase - I had that immediately fixed, along with an engine oil change).
- Air con is good.
- Lovely to drive, obviously. Seats are super comfy and supportive.
- Steering tracks straight and true (again, one of the niggles I got fixed after purchase), stops in a straight line.
- Original Bose Stereo is excellent. My Dire Straits tape dug out of the loft sounds incredible (tape not included in sale).
- 6 disc CD changer in the boot (note to self, remove the CDs)
- Bluetooth adapter installed for hands-free calling / sat nav guidance / music streaming
- Heated and multi-way electric/memory seats, electric rear blind, armrests, electric steering wheel adjustment/mirrors/one-touch windows
- Heated rear seats
- Built-in blinds in the rear that pull down on the side windows
- Comfort exit function on the steering wheel where it'll move out of the way for you.
- Three spoke sports steering wheel
- Grey leather, wood trim
- Large history file
- Spare key
- Good wheels and tyres. I recall the previous owner had the wheels recently reconditioned and the tyres were new and they are still all great.
- Current MOT runs 'til mid October.
- Looks great. Lovely colour, kind of a purple tinge in the right light. One of those cars where you just turn back every time you park it and think 'yes!'.
- Paintwork is pretty good, washes up really nicely. Bodywork is remarkably clean for the age. Obviously it's not going to be showroom so don't come expecting that.
- howmanyleft might claim it's the earliest quattro sport still registered, if you believe their data. That's pretty cool.
- Double glazing, how could I forget that.
- Massive boot!
- All the dash computer works well with no dodgy pixels.
- 23mpg average in my care which is more than acceptable imo from a 300bhp V8.

Bad points:
- MOT failed on the following: 2 cv outer gaters (front); 2 rear brake flexi hoses; rh track rod end; upper wishbone rear arm - which doesn't sound a lot to me for someone who knows what they're doing to sort pretty easily.
- Cruise control doesn't work. It didn't for the previous owner either. More excuses to hear and feel the mighty engine at a twitch of the right pedal.
- A 'character' that I also unwittingly inherited when I bought the car, that occasionally, maybe one or twice every few trips, when idling in traffic or at a junction it'll stutter or maybe cut out. Then it won't do it again for ages. No biggie as it restarts straight away and off you go, then likely it won't do it again on that trip. Just adds to the fun.
- Flashing up that it needs and 'Int 1'. Up to you. No other dash warnings.

£750 to say bye bye quickly.
Car's located in Hook, Hampshire.

Thanks,
Jon
07966 265952 or PM

Last edited by jonmad; 20th September 2017 at 06:43 AM. Reason: more detail added
Old 19th September 2017, 10:24 PM

It's a PF so the cruise control is a separate module in the electronics box under the bonnet. Had to replace that on my old PF.
Could just be the stalk of course.

Other stuff sounds like normal wear'n'tear.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 19th September 2017, 10:30 PM

Cheers. Have attached another pic of it looking suitably menacing. And one in its natural habitat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-02 08.57.15 edit tonality.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	17064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161020_174123.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	17067  

Last edited by jonmad; 19th September 2017 at 10:52 PM. Reason: extra pic attached
Old 19th September 2017, 11:53 PM

Word of warning.
It has failed an MOT, that is now on record and supercedes the "current" test result. That means the car must be off road until repaired.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 19th September 2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmad View Post
My Dire Straits tape dug out of the loft sounds incredible (tape not included in sale).
Doesn't that means it's worth at least £50 more/less than £750? (delete depending on taste..)

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 20th September 2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Word of warning.
It has failed an MOT, that is now on record and supercedes the "current" test result. That means the car must be off road until repaired.
Interesting. That's not what the garage told me and I specifically asked. Hmm. Thanks.
Old 20th September 2017, 06:45 AM

It'll also currently full of fuel. Didn't time that well, did I.
Old 20th September 2017, 07:45 AM

This is the way I understand it as a CPC (National & International) holder.
If a qualified PoliceOfficer or VOSA Inspector issues a VOR notice at a roadside check it takes immediate effect.
The annual MOT in effect is really to save the powers having to inspect every vehicle evry day. That is what the driver and owner are supposed to do, i.e. daily check before commencing to drive, and intermediate during the journey checks. As a commercial driver you have to complete a Daily Check Form as part of your start up procedure. This is a legal requirement.
The inspecting officer can issue a "back to depot" order if the problem is minor and the vehicle has to be reinspected and order rescinded after the repair.
I did this once with a frayed outer on a brake hose where I went to the VOSA man's house and he was happy to crawl under and clear the order enabling me to continue working. It was too late in the day to visit a MOT garage.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 20th September 2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Word of warning.
No, if your current MOT cert is still valid you can drive the car away.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 20th September 2017, 08:11 AM

This is my understanding

It depends on defect and the state of defect. Vehicle needs to be roadworthy to be used with previous MOT. It can fail MOT if it's acceptable at the moment but likely to become un-roadworthy in very near future or if the failure only affects certain conditions. If you fail because of faulty light you can still drive it in daylight or if you fail because of passenger seat belt you can still drive if you do not carry any passengers Things like suspension bushes and ball joints are often down to testers discretion, with a little movement one tester may pass without advisory, other can issue advisory on MOT and yet another fail the MOT on the same car. If the movement is quite large or if a ball-joint is about to drop out they can add an note that they consider vehicle to be dangerous to drive in which you cannot use it on road until the fault is fixed but once you have repaired it and restore road worthiness you can still drive it until old MOT runs out.

That's the whole point of going to MOT before it runs out of MOT and letting you keep up to extra 1 months MOT if it passes. If it fails you still have the time to use it while it still have old MOT.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure