A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 22nd April 2013, 05:49 PM

the 01119 error is normally dirty ABS sensors - Sergey had that particular problem a couple of years ago - see HERE
so it shouldnt be related to the other lumpy running.

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 22nd April 2013, 05:59 PM

Yes I mentioned it (01119) before, just haven't dealt with it yet .

It's not lumpy, more "kangaroo" as the throttle either works normally or hardly works at all until you floor it. And sometimes it changes (surges) without moving my foot. But only at the start of a journey from cold, well as far as I can tell.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 22nd April 2013, 08:45 PM

Do you have traction control?

ABS sensor issues could cause that to freak out.. Does the light flash when the car is unresponsive?

I know.. I know..

Old 22nd April 2013, 08:56 PM

I thought of that too, and no it doesn't, nor does the engine rev. It's as if pressing the throttle is ignored then randomly sensed.

I've not been able to do it enough in "safe, controlled" circumstances to get any more analysis. Leaving my house which is on the corner of a side road off a bend on a narrow built-up road on a hill with lots of parked cars around is far from the ideal spot.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 22nd April 2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12th June 2013, 05:23 PM

Had a little play on the drive today with VCDS and I'm none the wiser.
Set up to monitor the throttle position and pedal sensors (Engine, block 62) and a few other things such as air flow.
First, with ignition on but engine not running the pedal & throttle sensors all seemed to vary sensibly and smoothly.
Same after starting the car, everything seemed to vary smoothly as I moved the pedal up and down.

That said I haven't noticed the problem for a few days either. The only recent variation is that I have Tesco Momentum in the tank; it's usually Shell "cooking" 95RON. Could that be a factor?

I did check for codes and the only one was an engine coolant high temp warning, which I've never seen before. Possibly from some "spirited" driving to/from the Forest of Dean on Sunday.
Old 25th September 2013, 02:21 PM

A little update on this, the problem reappeared twice yesterday evening near the start of a short run. Just significant lack of power for a few seconds, no other symptoms.

I replaced the coolant temperature sensor (it was suspect) a while back and have been running exclusively on Shell V-Power Nitro+ for some time and all has been fine.

Checked the codes today and the 01119 Gear Recognition Signal (intermittent) was there again, but nothing else. It's about 3 months since I last checked.

The Ross-Tech Wiki just says 01119 is a note and to refer to the TCM/J217 for detailed codes. I presume that means 02 Transmission in VCDS or is it something more detailed I need to get at?

A document I found online also says that intermittent codes will clear quickly, so do I need to stop ASAP after an "event" and plug the laptop in?
Quote:
Malfunctions that are stored in DTC Memory as sporadic malfunctions are automatically erased after 1,000 km (600 miles) or 20 hours.
Though neither 1000km or 20 hours have elapsed since it misbehaved yesterday, so maybe the 01119 is not connected to the lack of power?
Old 29th September 2013, 06:08 PM

Will use premium petrol first, like Shell Nitro. If problem persists I'd change MAF and then throttle if it doesn't help, it won't be bad for any car this age anyway. Will definitely start with MAF as it is quick DIY job. Smaller errors from dying sensors, specifically those during warmup never get caught by ECU.

Can be fuel supply problems too...
Old 29th September 2013, 07:18 PM

Interesting I have the same problem.

On my route to work in the morning the first few minutes the throttle just seems to be a little useless and not respond. You need to give it more of a push to get the car to go above a crawl.

Only thing I have on VAGCOM is one of the O2 sensors pre cat is playing up. Replaced it but still get the fault, though I do not think it's related.

A further note is that it feels when driving cold at a steady sixty or seventy that it's a little rough, almost like the road has suddenly been made of cobbles! All very strange but clears up when warmed.
Old 29th September 2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Will use premium petrol first, like Shell Nitro. If problem persists I'd change MAF and then throttle if it doesn't help
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
have been running exclusively on Shell V-Power Nitro+ for some time
I'll have a look at cleaning the MAF next.

Meanwhile I've been using Sport mode in the sort of situations when it occurs and "fingers crossed" it behaves. As that will be keeping the revs up would that change in behaviour be consistent with an "iffy" MAF sensor?
Old 29th September 2013, 07:45 PM

>> I'll have a look at cleaning the MAF next.

This usually doesn't help. I'm planning to change mine soon preventively just because it is 10 years old car.

When car is cold monitor MAF output with VCDS for erratic things...