A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 10th June 2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Depends on your area, many places internal aerial is not sufficient. You cannot use OEM aerial+amplifier as the amplifier only amplifies AM/FM frequency range and filters the rest out so most of DAB will not work. In the A6 I removed amplifier and connected existing cable straight to the aerial. With the amplifier there was no DAB reception at all, without it it's acceptable in the area I live in but it does loose signal in many places around the country but OEM aerial without amp is still better than 2 cheap glass mounted aerials one of which was passive, other amplified. FM radio is also still connected to the OEM aerial and reception is slightly worse than with OEM amp. For best results quality roof mounted amplified aerial something like this https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/product/jvc-hal-2/ is needed but they are not cheap and I don't really fancy laying cabling and drilling hole in roof so it will do for me as in my area it's good enough.
I wonder if you could fit an RF amplifier that would work with DAB, maybe from a more recent VAG car?
Old 11th June 2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
For best results quality roof mounted amplified aerial something like this https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/product/jvc-hal-2/ is needed but they are not cheap and I don't really fancy laying cabling and drilling hole in roof so it will do for me as in my area it's good enough.
This looks suspiciously like it could be adapted to fit the old phone aerial position on the left rear quarter panel...

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)