A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 7th November 2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Same thing happened to me. I tried stripping the wire back a bit, doubling it over, and pushing it back into the back of the jet. Never had a problem since...

Zip

thanks for the tip ! will give it a go , but don't know what actuates the heaters or at what temperature or how I will notice if they actuate !
Old 7th November 2018, 09:54 AM

I've never understood the logic of heated washer jets anyway.
Assuming you have the correct mixture in your washer tank for the temperature why would just the jets freeze up?

I'm sure there are some (maybe rare) meteorological conditions where it helps.....
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 7th November 2018, 11:20 AM

Has someone tried spraying/injecting some de-scaling stuff in them?

Something like GroheClean or perhaps white spirit.

So it'll dissolve the scale into pieces that will be washed away next time washers activated.
Old 7th November 2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebesset View Post
what actuates the heaters or at what temperature
I have a vague recollection of reading (or seeing a circuit diagram confirming) that they are on all the time (with ignition)!
I do remember measuring the resistance a while ago to check what current they would draw, hence wattage. It wasn't much.
(Just measured a non-Audi pair I have to hand, about 45ohms so around 3W each.)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 7th November 2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 14th January 2024, 03:08 PM

Resurrecting a very old thread as my MOT is due and washer jets are a bit feeble......
Decided to try descaler first (HG stuff as noted above, neat) but in situ. Weather isn't conducive to dismantling!

First I just applied a few drops with a small brush, observed fizzing so repeated a few times over an hour or so.

Then I used a small syringe, loaded with a couple of ml of descaler, and pumped it gently in and out of each nozzle in turn. It obviously squirted out the other nozzle in each pair, along with fizzy bubbles.

Again repeated a few times until it ceased fizzing and they're now working well. Ideally need a bit of adjustment but are fine for MOT purposes.

As implied above, I think the heated nozzles dry out the nozzles excessively causing them to block.