A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 10th December 2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Finally been for a short drive today, enough to warm up thoroughly then drive back home a few miles.
All seems well and on popping the bonnet on return coolant levels were fine, risen a bit due to heat expansion.
……………………………………………………………………………...
I'll check again when the engine has cooled; I wasn't brave enough (this time) to loosen the coolant cap to see if it was holding pressure.
Just checked this morning and cold levels are back to where I topped up to. No signs anywhere of leaks.
Dare I risk a 200-mile round trip on Thursday...….
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 10th December 2018, 10:05 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Mine had a leak like that for a couple of years at one time. It would seemingly lose coolant randomly, or whenever I wasn't watching it. When I remembered to check it, it never seemed to go down. Then I'd forget to check it for a week or two, only to find that expansion tank was down below minimum again. I drove it for thousands of miles like that, with a small (concentrated) bottle of coolant inside the spare wheel for emergency top-ups.

In my case it turned out to be the radiator. When it went in for a major service the garage spotted a small hole in it that was slowly weeping coolant. They fitted a new radiator and I've had no loss of coolant since.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 9th May 2019, 10:05 AM

The warning reappeared this morning, though I haven't checked in ages so don't know whether it's been slowly dropping or only when driven.
That's 5 months of low use, probably less than 500 miles. On 101773 now.

Again, took about 750ml to top up, this time the correct 50:50 mix.

So, I definitely need to call in an MJs after the annual meet to get it checked, assuming it gets there OK.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 9th May 2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
The warning reappeared this morning, though I haven't checked in ages so don't know whether it's been slowly dropping or only when driven.
That's 5 months of low use, probably less than 500 miles. On 101773 now.

Again, took about 750ml to top up, this time the correct 50:50 mix.

So, I definitely need to call in an MJs after the annual meet to get it checked, assuming it gets there OK.
I'd hazard a guess that it's the classic oil cooler plastic union/part that cracks, as the symptoms mirror my experience of coolant loss. Mine was replaced with the revised aluminium part when DS Autowerks changed the cam belt last year.
Old 9th May 2019, 01:34 PM

Could be that I guess, no obvious signs of any leaks but I'm no expert!
If it is that what are the chances of a catastrophic failure?

I thought it was an engine out job to replace, or did DS know a clever method?

Last edited by HPsauce; 9th May 2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 9th May 2019, 01:51 PM

The plastic pipe won't fail catastrophically because it is constrained by the oil cooler housing.

It is possible to change it with the engine in if you are determined enough. Its just not a pleasant job because of limited access, although its much easier with the front end off. I'll change it as a matter of course on an engine-out service, but I wouldn't take the engine out if that was the only job.
Old 9th May 2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The plastic pipe won't fail catastrophically because it is constrained by the oil cooler housing.
That's good news, thanks.

I do actually have a version of that pipe as a spare, bought some time ago from Poland and made of brass I think. I carry it as an emergency backup.
But if that's the problem, and you end up fixing it, do use your own preferred version.
Old 9th May 2019, 06:00 PM

I have a brass one in mine
Old 18th May 2019, 01:11 PM

I had a number of slow leaks on S8 over the time. The one that keeps coming back is the small pipe on the expansion tank breaking, I think I have already replaced tank 3 times and it's broken again.

New Meyle tank arrived this morning and this time i put some epoxy putty around it to reinforce and relive some of the stress. Also used primer/activator/adhesion promoter from loctite palstic super glue kit as epoxy does not normally stick too well to plastic on it's own and I have used this primer with epoxy before and achieved good resuls. http://www.loctite-consumer.co.uk/en...-plastics.html

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190518_131610226.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	21635  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 21st May 2019, 07:45 AM

Honestly, using chewing gum..