A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 11th February 2019, 01:01 AM

Default I finally got around to the Timing Belt - Deferred maintenance part 1.

Finally got around to doing the timing belt.
Maintenance records (remarkably complete) show this was last done in October 2012 at 175,***km.
And interestingly, that was the 2nd belt, the first belt was changed in August 2005 at 65,000km (bit early wouldn't you say?)!

Current mileage is 225ish km. As I only do around 10,000km annually, a time interval of 6.5 years seems appropriate.

To get to this point took me most of the day at my mates place (he has a hoist, which makes easy work of most car maintenance). I work slow and steady with plentiful tea breaks!
The radiator is still attached to the support and the whole assembly is resting on milk crates and blocks of wood in such a manner as to not put the transmission hoses or aircon hoses under any stress. I might take the whole thing off next time, you only lose about 300ml of trans fluid out of the cooler removing the radiator, and you can swing the aircon radiator out of the way by itself, which is much lighter!

At this point the engine is timed on the timing mark, with the cams aligned the correct way around (big holes facing inwards), and the crankshaft locking pin has been inserted.

Oops... casualty of clutch fan removal! Serves me right for buying a cheap Chinese thin spanner. Turns out theres sufficient room for a full size spanner in there anyway - 1 1/4" did the job - glad my mate plays with Mack trucks!

Timing belt and water pump removed. I think I had replaced the thermostat at this point too, as the cover is suspiciously clean!
I'm a big one for parts cleaning, which is time consuming - just as well I don't do this for a living!

Oh dear... When removing the water pump, one of the bolts felt a bit odd. The head sheared off. By the feel of it, I suspect it had already yeilded when last replaced in 2012.

Several attempts to remove it using vice grips, oxy-acetylene heating, and freeze spray culminated in this expensive little stud removal chuck. That cracked the thread and got the bolt moving 1/4 turn, but wouldn't pull it out.

Finally my mate said he was going to weld a nut on!
Alloy gasket surface cast into the block... I was a bit nervous about this!

Yay!!!

New water pump and timing belt installed. All new hardware used on water pump with nickel anti-seize. Not going through that again!
** Dont worry MJ, we readjusted the timing from this configuration to properly preload the tensioner once we figured out how it worked. We even moved the timing belt a tooth somewhere to give the tensioner the extra adjustment it needed. Don't worry about the white marks either, they were just a visual reference, the locking bar was refitted for primary timing. I rechecked it and rotated the engine about a dozen times before buttoning it all up, refitting the locking bar each time! **

Timing covers back on

Nearly there

Done!
The Eagle eyed amongst you may notice something missing here (and I'm not talking engine covers!). More on that in another thread later!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190206_170239.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	20865   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190206_170253.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	20866   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190207_152201.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	20867   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190206_170308.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	20868   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190206_174853.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	20869   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190207_152204.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	1,004.7 KB
ID:	20870   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190207_165422.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	20871   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190208_135945.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	881.8 KB
ID:	20872   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190208_135936.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	738.8 KB
ID:	20873   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190208_174331.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	20874  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190208_184622.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	20875   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_182401.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	20876   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190210_163627.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	20877  

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)

Last edited by 27litres; 11th February 2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11th February 2019, 10:15 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Nice work Marty!

Just needs a good clean under there now

I guess it's difficult to keep the engine bay clean living in the hot dusty Oz climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
The Eagle eyed amongst you may notice something missing here (and I'm not talking engine covers!).
The lower bumper?
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 11th February 2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11th February 2019, 10:41 AM

I live on a dirt road with a dirt driveway. So Summer time is dust, and Winter time is mud!

I give it a wipe down and parts clean whenever I do maintenance.
The car itself gets washed a little more often than that!

Yes, lower valance/spoiler has been removed for repairs!
I'll do a thread on this once I take more photos...

Marty

Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
Old 11th February 2019, 11:10 AM

Great write-up Marty, but could you resize the images to about half of what they are? My laptop runs full HD 1920x1080 and I still have to scroll across to see the rest of the images and the text.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 11th February 2019, 11:28 AM

Sorry, the whole thing was done on my phone. I checked the images and they're 4032 x 3024 pixels... so yeah.
I'll take a look at editing apps. Google photos doesn't do it!

Edit: fixed!
Hopefully a bit easier to view the photos now!

Marty

Family:

Sold:
1997 Audi A4

Last edited by 27litres; 11th February 2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11th February 2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
Sorry, the whole thing was done on my phone. I checked the images and they're 4032 x 3024 pixels... so yeah.
I'll take a look at editing apps. Google photos doesn't do it!

Edit: fixed!
Hopefully a bit easier to view the photos now!
No need to apologise. It just makes the write-up so much pleasant to read through.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 14th February 2019, 01:23 PM

If you look at the first pic of the thread (see below), you will see the front engine torque mount ('the egg') in two pieces (just in front of the right hand front tyre)
I replaced this while the front end was apart too.
I removed both shims from beneath the top chassis mount (these are visible still sitting on the top mount just under the Harmonic Balancer in front of the wheel too), and still had about 1mm of clearance on the new mount. The instructions say it should be a good fit (or words to that effect), neither stretched or compressed.
So I shimmed the lower mount using a washer and needed to be careful how I tightened the nut to prevent adding any twist to the mount (which has locating tabs).

Makes a difference to the smoothness of power delivery I must say. Good item to repair.

Marty

Family:

Sold:
1997 Audi A4

Last edited by 27litres; 14th February 2019 at 01:25 PM.